NAC to open Midrand heliport

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Globemaster
Take off Clearance

NAC to open Midrand heliport

Unread post by Globemaster » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm

All systems are go!
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Re: NAC to open Midrand heliport

Unread post by Ray W » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 am

Globemaster wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... d-heliport

Good development at Grand Central.
This development isn't at Grand Central but rather it's near the Mall of Africa. Grand Central will be loosing a valuable client.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
Jel
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am

I have my doubts about this... mainly the costs of it will make it very exclusive and Elite... and its proximity to GC is surely going to affect the future of GC and GA which caters for a much more diverse aviation clientele...

GC going to lose tenants... I am not convinced this is good for aviation in SA... perhaps where there wasn't a GA airport so close maybe but not where it is currently...

GC days are now numbered IMHO... :( and with it goes training, FW operators and others all for a few wealthy helicopter owners...
Rotor kop
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo

Unread post by Rotor kop » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 am

Jel wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am
I have my doubts about this... mainly the costs of it will make it very exclusive and Elite... and its proximity to GC is surely going to affect the future of GC and GA which caters for a much more diverse aviation clientele...

GC going to lose tenants... I am not convinced this is good for aviation in SA... perhaps where there wasn't a GA airport so close maybe but not where it is currently...

GC days are now numbered IMHO... :( and with it goes training, FW operators and others all for a few wealthy helicopter owners...
Well GC cant sort their accounts out firstly and recently started charging for "overflight"....i hope NAC pulls it off =D>
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
farmpilot
Power off stall

Unread post by farmpilot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:38 am

The cost of fuel alone at GC was the killer. This is great news for Ultimate and NAC, they are going to have a world class facility there, I wish them great success.
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:20 am

farmpilot wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:38 am
The cost of fuel alone at GC was the killer. This is great news for Ultimate and NAC, they are going to have a world class facility there, I wish them great success.
why do you think they started to charge for overflight? It is because of this development, your ATC fee is higher than the landing fee but at least you save on pax costs.
Jel

Unread post by Jel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 am

Doesn't change the fact that the heliport is going to kill GC... so while I understand that there is unhappiness at GC fact remains that there are operators there who may no longer be there are a result of the heliport... they were there before, and will no longer be there... not sure where the happiness lies in this :?

Heliport will only initially have around 15 RW aircraft... sacrifice of many for very few I suggest...

There are countless threads on Avcom about the demise of GA Airfields... why because a Heliport is opening for a few helicopters does it make it ok for the demise of GC :?:
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by cage » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:51 am

Jel wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 am
Doesn't change the fact that the heliport is going to kill GC... so while I understand that there is unhappiness at GC fact remains that there are operators there who may no longer be there are a result of the heliport... they were there before, and will no longer be there... not sure where the happiness lies in this :?

Heliport will only initially have around 15 RW aircraft... sacrifice of many for very few I suggest...

There are countless threads on Avcom about the demise of GA Airfields... why because a Heliport is opening for a few helicopters does it make it ok for the demise of GC :?:
There is demand at FAGC, especially for fixed wing ops, the space will go. I suspect we will just see the balance shift from rotary to fixed.
Remember this is Ultimate's heliport so they will be moving from the southside also.
Eskom, airbus and the rest of the rotary guys remain.
Really keen to see what phase one actually looks like and when the first residents at Waterfall start moaning ;)
Jel

Unread post by Jel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:56 am

cage wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:51 am
Jel wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 am

There is demand at FAGC, especially for fixed wing ops, the space will go. I suspect we will just see the balance shift from rotary to fixed.
Remember this is Ultimate's heliport so they will be moving from the southside also.
Eskom, airbus and the rest of the rotary guys remain.
Really keen to see what phase one actually looks like and when the first residents at Waterfall start moaning ;)
Possibly but I think that the costs are going to go up even further as we have seen already at GC.... so its going to strangle the existing operators... not sure about the level of demand considering the complaints already coming out of FAGC...?

Will NAC also likely to be doing night take offs and landings (vehicle tracking) :?:
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by cage » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 am

Jel wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:56 am
Will NAC also likely to be doing night take offs and landings (vehicle tracking) :?:
Would imagine so, they run 24/7.
The notice in the gazette only stated location and didn't provide any details as to what the application covered.
Captain Kirk
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAGC or OMAA

Unread post by Captain Kirk » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:40 am

This article is misleading, this was not NAC's Initiative, it was the Blood, Sweat and Tears of Ultimate HELI that got this project off the ground, NAC joined at a later stage.

Also spoken about here;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=210664&p=1977431&hi ... t#p1977431

Mod's please change the title to "The Ultimate Heliport" as this is the official name of the facility.
Chris K.

Return to “Rotor Wing”