Why are you flying Helicopters ?

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Re: Why are you flying Helicopters ?

Unread post by hugo_visser » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Yes I have been there, with a wind tunnel and 4 nissan 1400 car engines and home made wood propellers to supply the airflow. Also bumped into my show ski friend there Brett Peach who designed a ski board that could disassemble and pack it in your backpack. Very interesting uncle leading the team there.
Hugo.
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by newbie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:38 pm

I have always wanted to fly (growing up in an army bases and seeing/hearing Impala's, Alo's and Puma's most days, it is not hard to believe that a small boy would be "star struck" by these larger than life machines).

So I never got to go to the air-force, but ended up in "chivy street", ending up owning my own business, which then afforded me the opportunity to go for my PPL(A) in 2016. The idea in 2016 was to use my new PPL(A) to fly to all the small little towns to go do business, but I ended up not flying again for a very long time and the flights that I did do was mostly up and down the coast to keep my license current - spelled "VERY BORING".

This year I wanted to "expand" a bit on my flying knowledge and looked into microlights and all sort of others - but I went for an introduction flight with John Huddlestone in the R22 and I was hooked - I should be finishing my PPL(H) during December now and then want to go on to CPL(H) - not for work or career opportunities, but to learn more.

Would like to own a Gazelle in the future, but looking at an R44 to first build up some hours/skills.
In a calm sea every man is a pilot — John Ray, English Proverbs, 1670.
Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Jack Welles » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:47 am

newbie wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:38 pm
I have always wanted to fly (growing up in an army bases and seeing/hearing Impala's, Alo's and Puma's most days, it is not hard to believe that a small boy would be "star struck" by these larger than life machines).

So I never got to go to the air-force, but ended up in "chivy street", ending up owning my own business, which then afforded me the opportunity to go for my PPL(A) in 2016. The idea in 2016 was to use my new PPL(A) to fly to all the small little towns to go do business, but I ended up not flying again for a very long time and the flights that I did do was mostly up and down the coast to keep my license current - spelled "VERY BORING".

This year I wanted to "expand" a bit on my flying knowledge and looked into microlights and all sort of others - but I went for an introduction flight with John Huddlestone in the R22 and I was hooked - I should be finishing my PPL(H) during December now and then want to go on to CPL(H) - not for work or career opportunities, but to learn more.

Would like to own a Gazelle in the future, but looking at an R44 to first build up some hours/skills.
Good luck with your flying. I flew with John for some ratings when he was starting out (after leaving SAAF) at Grand Central. Pleasant fellow. Helos are addictive \:D/
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 am

I think this sums it up for me...
IMG_0335.JPG
W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:06 am

This is a topic that comes up often, especially when friends and acquaintances either think about or start going down the path.
Why do we fly them? They won't fly themselves.
If you have to think about whether or not you should go fixed or rotary, then you should go fixed. Rotary guys just know.
Some people are just more comfortable sitting inside a plank for the half a day it takes to get ready to depart.
Running through their checklists, taxiing a mile to the run-up bay, then more checks and tests, taxiing to the hold.
Eventually setting off and crossing their fingers the wheels get off the ground and stay there.
Fixed wing flying is for those that like things happening at the speed of continental drift (ironically often powered by a continental).
All this so you trim things a bit, maybe push the AP, freeing up much needed mental cycles to whip out the map and stopwatch while flying so high you can see nothing.
Aah the absolute bliss.
The FOMO is clearly still strong :^o :twisted:

Return to “Rotor Wing”