Help/Advice PPL to CPL

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

tailblade94
Priming
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Help/Advice PPL to CPL

Unread post by tailblade94 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 pm

Hello fellow helicopter enthusiasts, as the topic suggests I would like some help or advice whichever you are capable of giving. I would greatly appreciate any input.

The costs of doing CPL makes it seem close to impossible to achieve for me anyway. I could take out a student lone but I have friends who tell me they wished they didn't. Is it even worth it these days with drones and all the Radio controlled aircraft to get a Com helicopter license, or would it be better to get RPL instead? Since all the helicopter job listings I have seen so far require you to have at least 100hr PIC in a R44 or a CFI rating which also adds to the cost on top of the CPL costs. I know 100hr seems like nothing to pilots with +1500hr but if you need to pay for all those flights it adds up quick.

I should add I have been flying RC helicopters for +-5 years so that might make getting RPL a little bit easier. I feel lost at the moment on what to do with this obsession with rotating wings. Closest airport to me at the moment is Wonderboom(FAWB) and that's also where I did my PPL.

thanks in advance.
Trex 150DFC
Trex 450 Pro, 450L
Trex 550L
Trex 700L
DX9
krobarza
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Help/Advice PPL to CPL

Unread post by krobarza » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:08 am

To be honest, a RPL license makes more sense. The license is cheaper and entry level jobs pay better than the equivalent helicopter job. Entry level helicopter pilots get paid almost nothing and should be grateful that they have a job and an opportunity to build hours.
These users liked the author krobarza for the post:
JJM
MariusvanWyk
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FYSM

Unread post by MariusvanWyk » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 am

Try and get employed at a company that could offer you hour building opportunities, as part of ground crew/ ops, game and cropspraying companies do a lot of ferry/empty flights. It might take you 2 to 3 years to get there but in the end it's worth it. Make sure to get the CPL theory behind your back first. Never stop knocking on doors, eventually they will open up.
CPL(H)
R22
R44
B206L
Smuck
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: Heli pad

Unread post by Smuck » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 pm

There should be a passion to fly Helicopters. To be paid to fly would be an advantage. There is no Drone that will ever replace my feeling of satisfaction being a helicopter pilot.
Drones is the future and obtaining Rpl cost less than 10
Hours of training.
The cost to obtain Cpl H is only a higher cost target to achieve by hard work.
Good luck.

Return to “Rotor Wing”