TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6444
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:37 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 93 times

TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Unread post by Deanw » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:15 pm

Africa Ports
TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) recently held a signing ceremony with Italian company Leonardo for acceptance of two new helicopters to service the Ports of Durban and Richards Bay.

The two aircraft replace two earlier models of the same type already in service with the South African port authority.

The AgustaWestland (AW 109SP) helicopters, valued at around R250 million, were manufactured at the Leonardo plant in Vergiate, Italy, and they are expected to be delivered to TNPA in South Africa by June 2019.

Leading the TNPA delegation at the signing ceremony held in Italy on 17 April 2019 was TNPA’s Acting Chief Executive, Nozipho Mdawe, who signed acceptance on behalf of TNPA alongside Leonardo’s Head of Macro Region – Africa & Middle-East, Gianfranco Sottotetti.

Mdawe said the two new helicopters would help TNPA to improve ship turnaround times and the overall reliability of its marine service at the Ports of Durban and Richards Bay.

“This in turn will have benefits for our customers, the shipping lines and the global competitiveness of our ports,” she said.

“As TNPA, we are delighted that we are now so close to being in a position to respond to long-time industry calls for a more efficient and reliable marine pilot service in our Ports of Durban and Richards Bay.

“These are presently the only ports in our complementary port system which use helicopters to transfer marine pilots onto and off visiting vessels. We are, however, looking to offer the service at our Port of Cape Town as well, to counter weather related disruptions there, where major swells impact on the availability of service during stormy conditions,” she said.

South Africa pioneered the concept of transferring marine pilots to and from vessels by helicopter and is understood to be one of only three countries in the world that offer the service.

TNPA has an existing fleet of three AW109 helicopters that are reaching the end of their life cycle. The procurement of the two new helicopters forms part of TNPA’s fleet renewal programme.

The AW109SP is a modern top-of-the-range light twin-engine helicopter with excellent operational flexibility as well as high safety levels through advanced navigation and situational awareness technology. The two new AW109 SP’s are equipped with a Harbour Pilot Shuttle Kit, which features a hoist that enables this distinctive operation, as well as several other installations unique to Transnet’s aircraft.

The contract for the new helicopters includes a 25% supplier development obligation by the global supplier to ensure that the contract creates socio-economic benefits within South Africa. These would include job creation, skills development and where possible use of local, empowered companies and local materials or parts.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10047
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 296 times

Re: TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Unread post by cage » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Deanw wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:15 pm
...
The contract for the new helicopters includes a 25% supplier development obligation by the global supplier to ensure that the contract creates socio-economic benefits within South Africa. These would include job creation, skills development and where possible use of local, empowered companies and local materials or parts.
Is that marketing's way of saying they paid way over market pricing so that something can be "given back"?
Would love to see how they will include local materials and parts in an Agusta :lol:

Nonetheless, I have watched the work the crews do at Durban, some incredible flying you never get bored of watching.
Those guys know their stuff, must be one of the best helo roles in our local market.
Glad they're getting some new toys.
Falafel
Power off Glide
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Unread post by Falafel » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:35 am

cage wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:19 pm
Deanw wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:15 pm
...
The contract for the new helicopters includes a 25% supplier development obligation by the global supplier to ensure that the contract creates socio-economic benefits within South Africa. These would include job creation, skills development and where possible use of local, empowered companies and local materials or parts.
Is that marketing's way of saying they paid way over market pricing so that something can be "given back"?
Would love to see how they will include local materials and parts in an Agusta :lol:

Nonetheless, I have watched the work the crews do at Durban, some incredible flying you never get bored of watching.
Those guys know their stuff, must be one of the best helo roles in our local market.
Glad they're getting some new toys.
Yeah the 25% does raise an eyebrow or two... sounds like a load of rubbish if you asked me... nice words with little or no ability to hold accountable...

I wasnt aware Transnet did this themselves... thought the outsourced this to another operator :?:
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10047
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 296 times

Re: TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Unread post by cage » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:25 am

Falafel wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:35 am
I wasnt aware Transnet did this themselves... thought the outsourced this to another operator :?:
Thought so as well.
They may own the aircraft but put in on someone else's AOC.
I always thought Acher did this in Durbs.
Last edited by cage on Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
rotorbug
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:21 am
Closest Airfield: FAVG
Location: Durban
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Unread post by rotorbug » Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 am

Recently, Transnet/Portnet have been down more than they have been flying with maintenance related issues.

So hopefully, the new aircraft coming on line will provide an improved delivery to the port, otherwise just more tax payers money getting flushed down a bottomless long drop.

It would be interesting to compare service delivery stats for when Acher ran the contract and what Transnet/Portnet have delivered since taking over the contract.
"Education is important, but Aviation is importanter!"

SA CPL(H)
Arch
Flaps set for Take off
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:22 am
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Unread post by Arch » Fri May 03, 2019 10:18 am

rotorbug wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 am
Recently, Transnet/Portnet have been down more than they have been flying with maintenance related issues.

So hopefully, the new aircraft coming on line will provide an improved delivery to the port, otherwise just more tax payers money getting flushed down a bottomless long drop.

It would be interesting to compare service delivery stats for when Acher ran the contract and what Transnet/Portnet have delivered since taking over the contract.
Portnet always owned the machines. Acher lost the contract to Denel
User avatar
rotorbug
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:21 am
Closest Airfield: FAVG
Location: Durban
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: TRANSNET PREPARES TO TAKE DELIVERY OF TWO NEW AW109SP HELICOPTERS

Unread post by rotorbug » Tue May 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Arch wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:18 am
rotorbug wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 am
Recently, Transnet/Portnet have been down more than they have been flying with maintenance related issues.

So hopefully, the new aircraft coming on line will provide an improved delivery to the port, otherwise just more tax payers money getting flushed down a bottomless long drop.

It would be interesting to compare service delivery stats for when Acher ran the contract and what Transnet/Portnet have delivered since taking over the contract.
Portnet always owned the machines. Acher lost the contract to Denel
Acher would have ensured the maintenance was properly scheduled with parts availability etc.
"Education is important, but Aviation is importanter!"

SA CPL(H)

Return to “Rotor Wing”