squawk 2000

Questions for Air Traffic Navigation Services.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
YAHIA1994
Wanna Fly
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 5:40 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Midrand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

squawk 2000

Unread post by YAHIA1994 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi every one
i would to ask an ATC about squawking 2000 what information will be shown on the radar screen
thanks guys stay home to end the lockdown and start flying again :D
User avatar
Thndr_strck
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: squawk 2000

Unread post by Thndr_strck » Sat May 16, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi there
It depends what setting you have selected on your transponder.
With mode 'alt' selected, we will see your altitude, direction of flight and ground speed.
On a none 'alt' setting, we cannot see your altitude.

And radar is line of sight, so mountains, distance from radar also affect coverage.
When in doubt...DON'T !!
User avatar
YAHIA1994
Wanna Fly
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 5:40 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Midrand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: squawk 2000

Unread post by YAHIA1994 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:44 pm

Thndr_strck wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:13 pm
Hi there
It depends what setting you have selected on your transponder.
With mode 'alt' selected, we will see your altitude, direction of flight and ground speed.
On a none 'alt' setting, we cannot see your altitude.

And radar is line of sight, so mountains, distance from radar also affect coverage.
thank you sir for clarification my confusion is every aircraft is squawking 2000 wouldn't be a problem for ATC screen and what about the call sign does it appear
User avatar
Thndr_strck
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: squawk 2000

Unread post by Thndr_strck » Mon May 18, 2020 6:07 am

Generally you'd be squawking 2000 outside of radar controlled airspace. Once you enter a radar controlled airspace, you will be given a unique code for your flight, even if you do not have a flight plan and the ATC decides to let you into controlled airspace.

Whilst squawking 2000 the callsign does not show up, however, the radar controller can "radtag" you and super impose you callsign onto your radar track. But this is not a good idea if there are many aircraft flying around squawking 2000 as the radar software can become confused, therefore we prefer to assign you your own code for positive identification.

Our current radar systems allow us to set up filters, so I can block out all the 2000 labels. I can still see the target, it just removes the label.
When in doubt...DON'T !!
User avatar
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4211
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 am
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Location: iKhaya mina 22N114E
Has liked: 711 times
Been liked: 232 times

Re: squawk 2000

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon May 18, 2020 7:48 am

YAHIA1994 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:14 pm
Hi every one
i would to ask an ATC about squawking 2000 what information will be shown on the radar screen
thanks guys stay home to end the lockdown and start flying again :D
#2000 is a non-discrete code used when a discrete code has not been assigned , a mode C transponder will show the altitude whereas a Mode A (probably not many of these floating around any more) does not have an altitude encoder. A mode S ,on the other hand, with ADSB functionality has it’s own unique hex code which can provide advanced ATC units (don’t worry we do not have any in Africa) with IAS, VS, alt selected, and HDG/TRK selected by the pilot on his FCU. In Europe , where ADSB is used for better ATC service. All aircraft can be givesn a non discrete code, ie #4000, however ATC will still see the aircraft label because of the mode S fitted to that airframe has it’s own unique Hex code. If that happened in South Africa’s mass confusion would reign and ATC would just see a bunch of targets sqwaking 4000.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
User avatar
YAHIA1994
Wanna Fly
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 5:40 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Midrand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: squawk 2000

Unread post by YAHIA1994 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:15 pm

thank you guys for the information very helpful =D>
once i was doing circuit and joberg info called me on the aerodrome frequency and asked for my call sign (apparently on the radar it was showing m at 8000ft but that was a faulty xponder i was at 6300ft) then i realised that they can't see my call sign with 2000 squawked
one more thing do we still use primary radar to detect targets(aircraft) or the secondary radar will do the job
thanks guys once again sometimes you just need to ask ATC coz it's not easy to find a correct answer on the net
User avatar
YAHIA1994
Wanna Fly
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 5:40 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Midrand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: squawk 2000

Unread post by YAHIA1994 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Thndr_strck wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:07 am
Generally you'd be squawking 2000 outside of radar controlled airspace. Once you enter a radar controlled airspace, you will be given a unique code for your flight, even if you do not have a flight plan and the ATC decides to let you into controlled airspace.

Whilst squawking 2000 the callsign does not show up, however, the radar controller can "radtag" you and super impose you callsign onto your radar track. But this is not a good idea if there are many aircraft flying around squawking 2000 as the radar software can become confused, therefore we prefer to assign you your own code for positive identification.

Our current radar systems allow us to set up filters, so I can block out all the 2000 labels. I can still see the target, it just removes the label.
thank you guys for the information very helpful =D>
once i was doing circuit and joberg info called me on the aerodrome frequency and asked for my call sign (apparently on the radar it was showing m at 8000ft but that was a faulty xponder i was at 6300ft) then i realised that they can't see my call sign with 2000 squawked
one more thing do we still use primary radar to detect targets(aircraft) or the secondary radar will do the job
thanks guys once again sometimes you just need to ask ATC coz it's not easy to find a correct answer on the net
User avatar
Thndr_strck
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: squawk 2000

Unread post by Thndr_strck » Mon May 18, 2020 7:46 pm

Yes, we do still use primary
When in doubt...DON'T !!
User avatar
PushingTin
Stall training
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:30 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: squawk 2000

Unread post by PushingTin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:00 pm

There have been instances when vectoring aircraft that we have noticed an aircraft (squawking 2000 with alt) that had bust airspace which would have been in the path of the aircraft being vectored. Action could then be taken to safely vector the aircraft away from the potential danger.

ATC can't see the callsign of the aircraft when squawking 2000 but have enough info to at least avert a dangerous situation.

Had that "intruder" not been squawking, we would have only seen a primary target and would have had to assume it was an aircraft operating within the correct procedures below controlled airspace.

So rather try not to play in stealth mode - ATC prefer to see, for your safety and everyone elses too.

Return to “ATNS”