ATNS data for an accurate drone map

Questions for Air Traffic Navigation Services.

Moderator: Moderators

WarrenGardiner
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: Rustenburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

ATNS data for an accurate drone map

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:41 am

I am building a drone map for the Private Drone Association of South Africa (https://drones.org.za/dronemap2/map.html) and I need accurate and complete data from an approved source.

The data I need is of not only registered aerodromes but also unregistered aerodromes and other relevant data such as SAHPA paragliding sites etcetera. Unfortunately the data on the SACAA website is incomplete in this sense and I would like a complete and approved data set to work from.

I would really appreciate a contact person at ATNS who could provide me with this data.
WarrenGardiner
Preflighting

Re: ATNS data for an accurate drone map

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Anyone home?
I have still not received any response.
In case anyone is wondering, I have asked this question in a public forum so that the information I am looking for gets published to the wider drone community as it should be. Not looking for trouble, just data.

I would appreciate any assistance on this matter.
Thndr_strck
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Thndr_strck » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Go to a local flying school and look at the aeronautical maps in 1:500000 and the AIP's
When in doubt...DON'T !!
WarrenGardiner
Preflighting

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:27 pm

In all honesty I have given up on getting a civilised or rational response from anyone:
1) Go and take a look at drones.org.za.
2) A 1:500000 map at a flying school is utterly useless to me and everyone else
3) The AIPs as published by the CAA, in case you hadn't figured this out yet, are a total work of fiction:
Clubs, aerobatics cylinders, and god knows what else hundreds of kilometers from where they actually really are, sometimes bobbing around in the ocean and sometimes in a neighbouring country, sometimes dreamt up and always totally out of date. The only thing that scares me more about the state of the AIP, is whether or not the data was ever correct. How long does it take them to figure out they made a mistake and fix it? Some of the erroneous and potentially life-threatening critical data for clubs registered in the 1990s or early 2000s is still incorrect.
4) For drones to operate safely, drone operators should be provided with the proper material in the form of maps and usable data in the right format, it is not and should not be my responsibility, perogative or duty to do the CAAs job.
5) THERE IS NO OFFICIAL CAA-APPROVED MAP IN EXISTANCE FOR THE PRIVATE OPERATIONS OF DRONES. Or SAMAA, or anyone else anywhere. The drones.org.za map is unofficial and simply an advisory, other maps are available, one or two are decent, most are total BS.
6) Next time manned aviation bitches about drones, remember the above.

I am done waiting or begging for responses or help on this forum, nuf said.

Bear the above in mind and always fly safe, cheers.
paulw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 581 times
Been liked: 205 times

Unread post by paulw » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:54 pm

I never responded as I cannot assist but very good initiative. Site and map looks good, obviously a lot of work went into it.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
WarrenGardiner
Preflighting

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks paulw,
I think its something that needs to happen before the drone industry can move forward.
Just for interest sake, the map has had an average 40 000 tile views per month, which means people are using the map, trying to fly safely. Not sure exactly how this equates to people using the map, but assuming every person visiting loads about 40 tiles of the map, at least about 1000 people use it per month. I haven't actually been advertising or promoting the website or map, because the data is not as good as it should be (for obvious reasons :x ).
paulw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 581 times
Been liked: 205 times

Unread post by paulw » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 pm

WarrenGardiner wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:38 pm
I haven't actually been advertising or promoting the website or map, because the data is not as good as it should be (for obvious reasons :x ).
It will come....
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Romeo E.T.
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 289 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 pm

WarrenGardiner wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:27 pm
In all honesty I have given up on getting a civilised or rational response from anyone:
3) The AIPs as published by the CAA, in case you hadn't figured this out yet, are a total work of fiction:
Clubs, aerobatics cylinders, and god knows what else hundreds of kilometers from where they actually really are, sometimes bobbing around in the ocean and sometimes in a neighbouring country, sometimes dreamt up and always totally out of date. The only thing that scares me more about the state of the AIP, is whether or not the data was ever correct. How long does it take them to figure out they made a mistake and fix it? Some of the erroneous and potentially life-threatening critical data for clubs registered in the 1990s or early 2000s is still incorrect.
4) For drones to operate safely, drone operators should be provided with the proper material in the form of maps and usable data in the right format, it is not and should not be my responsibility, perogative or duty to do the CAAs job.
5) THERE IS NO OFFICIAL CAA-APPROVED MAP IN EXISTANCE FOR THE PRIVATE OPERATIONS OF DRONES. Or SAMAA, or anyone else anywhere. The drones.org.za map is unofficial and simply an advisory, other maps are available, one or two are decent, most are total BS.

Interesting

I went to the main site as well
1) The map seems to be a good work in progress, maybe my laptop is old, but the "legend" on the top right has no descriptors
2) You have a link to the Part 101 regulations, whereas in your statement you say you want to further the Private operations of drones, ie recreational
in this case maybe consider adding this link to your web page, as it is more relevant to the recreational and private operation of drones (not for commercial use which is regulated under Part 101)
http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotel ... stems.aspx
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
grounded
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by grounded » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:40 pm

Romeo E.T. wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 pm

1) The map seems to be a good work in progress, maybe my laptop is old, but the "legend" on the top right has no descriptors
it is working fine for me, maybe upgrade your laptop :wink: :wink:
WarrenGardiner
Preflighting

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:13 am

Romeo E.T. wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 pm
WarrenGardiner wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Interesting

I went to the main site as well
2) You have a link to the Part 101 regulations, whereas in your statement you say you want to further the Private operations of drones, ie recreational
in this case maybe consider adding this link to your web page, as it is more relevant to the recreational and private operation of drones (not for commercial use which is regulated under Part 101)
http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotel ... stems.aspx
Unfortunately the page you refer to is not formal legislation, the document as linked is the only formal legislation regarding drones, as I recall it doesn't say much about recreational use.
Strangely, the CAA also says recreational drones are SAMAAs problem, but SAMAA are of the opinion that it only caters for its own paidup members, and only when they operate from approved, registered model flying clubs. In short, if you are flying anything whatsoever outside of a registered SAMAA club, you are operating an RPA, and that's the only legislation that is relevant.
BertBarnes
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAMB
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by BertBarnes » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:47 am

Hi,

Have you thought of downloading the KMZ file from this page https://www.atns.co.za/rsakmz.php.

It works with Google Earth and I am sure it could help you. Maybe some boffin could assist you to import directly into your project :-)

Good luck
Bert

Return to “ATNS”