Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: Twin Jabiru - Soon

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:27 pm

checkride wrote:Awesome looking aircraft
Checkride, when will the first flightreports be out?..looking forward to that! I'm very interested in the one engine operation stats.
antonvalks
Incipient Spin
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by antonvalks » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Has any thought been given to where the baggage area would be situated? I guess, no use having a proper 4 seater and there is no place for a bag or two. Could the nose cone area be one of the possibilities? Maybe coupled with a small cargo door for the area behind the rear seats? Can't wait for the certification prosess to be completed.
Ensure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the fruits of your labor...retire early!!!
scsirob
Post Take off checks
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by scsirob » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:00 pm

checkride wrote:You have nothing good to say. Cant see why it should be twice as difficult to build.....bolt on really. What do you mean about the engines?
Well, there's been a lot of effort poured into this twin engine design, based on engines that can no longer be produced. CAMit who made 2200/3300 engines has gone out of business. There's been talk about Jabiru making their own 2210/3310 engines and that would be an option if these engines get released but certainly it would mean a lot of re-testing. Hence my comment. Don't get me wrong, I like the plane. It's just that the engine situation is quite a mess right now.
Steve
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wings Park
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Steve » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Steve wrote:When Tecnam first announced it's Rotax powered twin (although still a 4-seater), we all got excited and thought - "Finally, an affordable twin", but the price model soon reflected purchase price numbers matching a New Piper Seneca, etc... $550k translates to roughly R9.3m :shock:

Jabiru has a unique opportunity in the twin market space... now it's up to their appetite to take advantage if they see the potential :wink:
Once the dust settles with this 4 seater twin, I think Jabiru should seriously look at producing a 6 seater version with two 120HP motors on the wings....
jab630.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Onions

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:06 am

Steve wrote:
Steve wrote:When Tecnam first announced it's Rotax powered twin (although still a 4-seater), we all got excited and thought - "Finally, an affordable twin", but the price model soon reflected purchase price numbers matching a New Piper Seneca, etc... $550k translates to roughly R9.3m :shock:

Jabiru has a unique opportunity in the twin market space... now it's up to their appetite to take advantage if they see the potential :wink:
Once the dust settles with this 4 seater twin, I think Jabiru should seriously look at producing a 6 seater version with two 120HP motors on the wings....

jab630.jpeg
Steve, I like your design. Its performance will also be far better than the teccie.
Only needs retractable gear..
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Morning Star

Unread post by checkride » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:03 pm

Afternoon Gents

The twin will be traveling this December for show. Our main focus will be on the coastal regions.

I will have an itinerary done by the end of next week. I am also open to suggestions. For the guy's on the Highveld
the twin will be there January or February. It will be there for show and hot and high testing.

On the flight report of the twin, the plane flies incredibly. With both engine you get 430 performance with an average fuel burn of 22L per hour combined.

Single engine performance is not bad. With 2 up and 3/4 tanks right hand engine shut down, and at 2000ft I can show a 100 to 150ft climb. At 10000ft one up I was able to maintain altitude.The twin is very controllable on one engine.

The aircraft flies like the 430 which was the idea. As someone described it (IT IS A TWIN BUT NOT A TWIN) seeing that it has 2 engine but not the danger of Cessna or Beechcraft twins.
Last edited by checkride on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Steve » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:25 pm

checkride wrote:Afternoon Gents

The twin will be travelling this December for show. Our main focus will be on the coastal region.

I will have an itinerary done by end of next week. I am also open for suggestions. For the guy on the Highveld
the twin will be there January or February. it will be there for show and hot and high testing.
Please include Wings Park, East London on your list. We have several Jabiru owners based at Wings Park and some of them very keen on the Jab twin.
Steve Onions

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein
Ican
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp

Unread post by Ican » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:13 pm

IMG_0499.JPG
I was privileged to spend an hour at the factory today. The pictures do not do the "twin" justice. I thought the plane looked a bit awkward in the photos. In the flesh she looks great! (To my eyes at least)
From what I have seen and heard this plane is going to be an absolute winner. Lets hope the CAA comes to the party soon.
Well done to the team at Jabiru!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Francois du Toit
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:59 am

Between Christmas and New Year the Jabiru will be at Wing's Park East London and will be at st francis bay for the fly inn on the
28th of December. I still need to organize a date for Wing's Park.
Slipstream 1
Mags Dead Cut
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Slipstream 1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 am

Now that is the best news I have heard today.
Wings Park is waiting in anticipation.
Once you know the dates, please let us know.
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:59 am

will do
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Can one order a Twin Jabiru already?
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by BigglesSA » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:15 pm

Yes but it will not be a production build yet. We are busy with the prep to get type approval.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
Steve
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Steve » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:49 pm

checkride wrote:Between Christmas and New Year the Jabiru will be at Wing's Park East London
Earlier today, Checkride (Rael Ressel) & colleague from the Jabiru factory flew to Wings Park, where a fair crowd had assembled during the morning in anticipation for the plane's arrival, to show several of our local aviators the twin Jabbi (J432). Three of our local pilots (all existing Jabiru owners - there are several more Jabiru owners and pilots based at Wings Park) were each treated to a demonstration flight conducted by the very capable "Checkride" - whose enthusiasm for the product is infectious - I was privileged to go for the first demo.

Earlier this year, I visited the Jabiru Factory and chatted with Len and "Checkride" and heard him mention the performance figures, but thought perhaps he was being overly enthusiastic, so I was looking forward to going for a demo ride and seeing for myself exactly how this aircraft performed.

After the necessary pre-flighting and discussion about the differences between the J430 and this J432, we taxied to the holding point of RW09 at Wings Park. Checkride then applied smooth power to both engines before releasing brake and the ground roll began. My first impression was that the acceleration was a lot more than wha tI get from my J430..... but the real surprise was the climb rate. Those observing from the ground told me afterwards how short the take off roll actually was and the phenomenal climb rate - most impressive !!

After a very nice demonstration of the aircrafts ease of handling - which all felt exactly like the J430 from a manoeuvrability perspective - including a full stall, I was satisfied that the handling was no different from a typical J430... So Checkride went on to demonstrate the asymmetric effects with one engine shut down. The amount of rudder required to maintain straight direction was far less than I expected (Compared to other traditional twins I have flown) and although we were at 2200ft with a field elevation of 1200ft and an outside temperature of 26 deg C, with two heavies on board (both of us around 110kgs) and half fuel, the plane maintained well for a full circuit on one engine with the second one shut down (the prop does not windmill when shut down) and maintained altitude with ease using about 2900 rpm on the live engine.

All in all, I was extremely impressed with the plane's performance and the highlights for me were the impressive ground roll and climb rate. Cruise is pretty much the same as for the J430, but the props pitch could be changed to courser for a less impressive climb rate, but improved cruise speed.

In the looks category, one has to appreciate that the design is unconventional and "out of the box" thinking - using a well tried and tested airframe and wing combination (the J430), but displacing the firewall forward with the two motor combination and new nose cowlings. They say that all aircraft are a summary of benefits and compromise and although this plane looks odd at first, it's unique look grows on you. Sitting in the front seat, there is no nose in view and the engines each side do not obstruct view in any way. The feeling is like having a J430 on steroids.....

Checkride couldn't give an exact date when production units would be available, but indicated that the factory was hopeful it would be in the early part of next year. I think this plane will enjoy significant sales because checkride mentioned that it would have an attractive ticket price. Twin engine plane benefits with cost effective operating costs will be well received in out present GA market - Checkride mentioned that the cruise fuel burn for both engines combined was around 24 litres per hour which is the same as for the single engine J430.

If there is one thing you need to add to your bucket list, it's a demo flight in the twin Jabbi, but be warned, you are going to want one of these planes after that..... :wink: Thanks again Checkride (Rael) for visiting us today...all our aviators appreciated it =D>
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
Steve Onions

Steve
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Steve » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:08 pm

More pics....
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Steve Onions

Return to “Jabiru”