Spin
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: YBCG
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

CAMit Engines

Unread post by Spin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Hadn't seen anything about this on Avcom, if duplicated please delete, mods.

As most of you probably know, Jabiru have subcontracted their engine manufacturing for quite a while, to another Bundaberg engineering firm, CAMiT, Pty Ltd. Where things get interesting is that this same firm, have now released their own version of the Jab engine, while apparently still continuing to build the Jab badged originals :-k I won't get into the usual debate about Jab engines, but what IS fact is that there is a widely held perception in Aus aviation circles that Jab's reliability is a little short of optimal and Camit are trading on this. I don't quite get the business strategy, but an interesting development nonetheless.

"New Camit Aero Engines

CAMit Pty Ltd has been manufacturing aircraft engines and components for almost 20 years. This experience had not been fully utilized until a recent R&D program was initiated. This was started due to requests for modifications to engines, to improve their reliability. Once started, the interaction between various components led to a complete review of the design.

Now, due to popular demand, an upgraded solid lifter engine has been released by CAMit. These engines are available as new or overhauled engines and have had any major weakness addressed. Many parts have had minor modifications but are still interchangeable with the original components. This ensures flexibility in the ongoing maintenance of these engines.

New engines come standard with all available CAMit aftermarket kits and parts as standard. 40 amp alternators, inhibiting systems, heavy duty barrels, improved rocker arms, multi-featured oil cooler adaptors and many more are included. Only Honda coils are used. High quality lead sets are standard.

The emphasis is on quality. CAMit has fully audited quality systems and CASA production certificate approvals. Components are also made for military and top-end commercial use.

CAMit is proudly Australian, providing Australian jobs in a difficult manufacturing environment. We see quality as our competitive advantage and make good use of the natural Australian talent for innovative solutions."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 162 times

Re: CAMit Engines

Unread post by heisan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Looks like quite a nice engine. The best aspects of all the previous Jab engines. Works out quite a bit more expensive than a Jab engine though.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Spin
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Spin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:16 am

heisan wrote:Looks like quite a nice engine. The best aspects of all the previous Jab engines. Works out quite a bit more expensive than a Jab engine though.
Really? I hadn't seen a price quoted other than a generic, "similar cost to the equivalent Jabiru engine". What is the premium?
Jay-Jay Jordaan
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Jay-Jay Jordaan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:01 am

So if they build the Jabiru engine and it's not reliable, is it not their fault. :?:
ZU-NOTHING
Spin
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Spin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:19 am

Word is they are forced to build to Jab's design and specification for the branded engines, not their own. Part of the problem here is that the engines are certified and Jab cannot make changes without recertifying to some extent. CAMiT's engines are experimental only, so they don't have the same constraints. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the set up, but a mate who has the scars from previous dramas with a Jab, is so convinced that things have improved, as to lay out the $ for a new Camit engine for his rebuilt J430. Time will tell I guess, but the business side stiil puzzles me.
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 162 times

Unread post by heisan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:59 am

Spin wrote:
heisan wrote:Looks like quite a nice engine. The best aspects of all the previous Jab engines. Works out quite a bit more expensive than a Jab engine though.
Really? I hadn't seen a price quoted other than a generic, "similar cost to the equivalent Jabiru engine". What is the premium?
The Camit engine is ~AUD17,000 (without VAT, shipment and duties). Works at at around R200,000 landed, while the latet Jab quote I have is R170,000.

Jabiru SA also won't sell spares to non-Jab owners, so all spares will need to be imported yourself.

I see you live in Oz though, so it will probably be a lot more practical for you.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:05 am

It seems the oil drain plug is still behind the manifolds and above the oil cooler :twisted: Why cant they move it to the sump like a car engine there is a nice thick flat spot between the fins ?The one thing I hate about mine is a oil change. It would be the first thing I would change. :idea:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Jay-Jay Jordaan
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Jay-Jay Jordaan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Marius I'm going to install an extension. I hate the oil mess. :twisted:
ZU-NOTHING
jetjr
Rolling

Unread post by jetjr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Jabiru are working on a new engine made and assembled in asia
This will give Camit the ability to manufacture and sell upgraded version of the old design
Camit were heavily involved in the original design and build however what we see today is jabiru specified product made by Camit. The guys as Camit are very experienced engine builders and have watched problems over a long time being unable to supply improvements.
The type certification argument doesnt hold much water, jabiru have been reluctant to rectify some problems which has damaged the brand here pretty badly.
Basically Camit are selling solid lifter engine, new barrel design and fastening, new rocker and guide geometry and some very nice oil system mods including better regulation, thermostat and inhibiting setups. Also included is rear mounted large alternator, all good stuff which should have been done a while ago.
They will suit experimental types for a start and will sell as complete new engines i think. Pricing is similar to jabiru factory rebuild or new engine as far as i can tell.
The photo aren't quite the finished article I'm led to believe. Camit are very approachable if you have ideas.
Either way we will have two versions of the engine to choose from when replacement comes around.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:38 am

jetjr wrote:Jabiru are working on a new engine made and assembled in asia
This will give Camit the ability to manufacture and sell upgraded version of the old design
Camit were heavily involved in the original design and build however what we see today is jabiru specified product made by Camit. The guys as Camit are very experienced engine builders and have watched problems over a long time being unable to supply improvements.
The type certification argument doesnt hold much water, jabiru have been reluctant to rectify some problems which has damaged the brand here pretty badly.
Basically Camit are selling solid lifter engine, new barrel design and fastening, new rocker and guide geometry and some very nice oil system mods including better regulation, thermostat and inhibiting setups. Also included is rear mounted large alternator, all good stuff which should have been done a while ago.
They will suit experimental types for a start and will sell as complete new engines i think. Pricing is similar to jabiru factory rebuild or new engine as far as i can tell.
The photo aren't quite the finished article I'm led to believe. Camit are very approachable if you have ideas.
Either way we will have two versions of the engine to choose from when replacement comes around.
Thanks for your info.It's the way I red it to.Our Jabiru guy Len Alfort did a lot of R&D to try and improve on known problems.They solved most of them.However Australia had no interest or inclination to use the info.It is sad. :cry: :cry:(Seems they still have the old English (Land Rover) attitude of "it will do" because some engines made TBO. :cry:
Last edited by Marius Schrenk on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:59 am

Jay-Jay Jordaan wrote:Marius I'm going to install an extension. I hate the oil mess. :twisted:
It's a idea,please keep us informed.Why not install a proper oil drain plug on the flat spot on the sump between the fins ? I've seen a Jabbi sump from the inside, its quit thick at this spot and there is nothing above it that can get damaged. Safety wire through a hole drilled in the nearest cooling fin. :idea:
bullet
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by bullet » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:37 am

Cessna`s Chinese production adventure with the the C162 Skycatcher appears to have ended in tears.
Does Jabiru Australia want to emulate their performance?
I have more faith in Len`s developments and improvements to the current Jab engines than the quality/reliability of any future engines produced in China.I won`t buy those products.
The Camit engines might be more expensive than the standard Jab engines, but their modifications might warrant the increase in price? I will take a serious look at the Camit engines.
Life is too short for cheap wine or slow cars.
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by ZuluBen » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 pm

I have more faith in Len`s developments and improvements to the current Jab engines than the quality/reliability of any future engines produced in China.I won`t buy those products.
I concur 8)
Len alford
Avionics Master On

Unread post by Len alford » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:42 am

Hi all'
I would like to put this right.
Firstly Jabiru are not and have no intention of havnig the engine built in China.
Jabiru are continuisly working on the engine , I am in constant contact with them and know of improvements made.
As far as the cammit engine I am lead to believe these may only sold in Aus.
I dont want to speculate the reasons for the cammit engine but the jabiru engine is still manufactured under the same conditions as before, cammit being contracted machine and assemble the Jabiru engine.
Nothing has changed except Rod constantly working on his continuos inprovement program.

len Alford
bullet
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by bullet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks Len. That`s reassuring.
Life is too short for cheap wine or slow cars.

Return to “Jabiru”