ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: CASA Limitations ~ Precautions for Jabiru powered aircra

Unread post by ZuluBen » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:14 pm

What a lot of mumbo jumbo :?

Can anybody who speak legalese please translate that and give us a one paragraph summary and the net result of that for the Aussie flyers?
bluboyz
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: YMAY
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by bluboyz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:04 am

G'day All,

Not qualified to translate legalese, however this CASA 292/14 draft document, December 2014, in this redirect may help clarify. This draft document has no right of reply unlike the previous proposed Jabiru powered restriction consultation document, CD1425SS of November 2014, and will likely become effective once it is registered by the Australian Government Office of Parliamentary Counsel. CASA expects this to occur before Christmas.

http://casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/ ... 14292.docx

paragraph 1 ~ Duration, paragraph 2 ~ Definitions, and, paragraph 3 ~ Application - will be applicable to All Classes of Jabiru powered aircraft on the Australian RAA & GA registry's,
paragraph 6 ~ provides for affected aircraft relocations before 31 Jan 2015, and,

schedule 1 ~ Operating limitations for Jabiru-powered aircraft, including the required passenger/student risk acknowledgement signed statement.

This imposition, in Australia, will include all Jabiru powered Aircraft, all flight training facilities using Jabiru's, and any airports located in metropolitan areas. Hope this helps clarify.

Happy Landings

Paul
scsirob
Post Take off checks

Unread post by scsirob » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:51 am

I know nothing whatsoever about legalese, but I do know that anything that can be interpreted in multiple ways will be. The very first section of the schedule will create lots of confusion.
1 The pilot in command of a Jabiru-powered aircraft must operate it only:
(a) by day and under the V.F.R.; or
(b) in accordance with an approval by CASA.
This already opens up a whole bunch of questions. What kind of approval would that be?
- An approval to fly for a specific aircraft equipped with a Jabiru engine?
- An approval for the pilot to fly behind any aircraft equipped with a Jabiru engine?
- Does it take a phone call, or do you need to submit paperwork?
- Does such approval need to be applied for once for the duration of the instrument?
- Or for each and every VFR flight of any pilot behind any Jabiru engine?
- Is there a committed response time for CASA to approve such requests or are they allowed to take six months to evaluate the request?

Better get some clarification.
antonvalks
Incipient Spin
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by antonvalks » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Article in Avweb today:

Australia has softened restrictions on the operation of aircraft flying with Jabiru engines in its final ruling on measures to deal with what it considers to be a high rate of engine failures. As we reported in November, the Civil Aviation Safety Administration proposed banning passengers and solo students from flying behind the engines while it sorts out the causes of the failures. The engines are popular in Australia and the proposed rule got lots of comments. CASA said it reflected some of those views in the final rule, mainly by ensuring students and passengers know the risks and sign off on them before flying. Jabiru-equipped aircraft are also restricted to day VFR and over terrain where they can glide to unpopulated areas if things get quiet.

The final rule also gives some insight into the kinds of issues being experienced and they run a wide gamut of problems. "Problems with Jabiru engines include failures of through bolts, flywheel bolts and valve train assemblies, as well as cylinder cracking," CASA said in its release. "The failures affect a range of Jabiru engine models and have occurred in aircraft used in different flying activities, although many have been reported in aircraft used for flying training." There is no word on whether any action will be taken on Jabiru-equipped aircraft elsewhere but aviation authorities always keep each other informed about such actions.
Ensure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the fruits of your labor...retire early!!!
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: CASA Limitations ~ Precautions for Jabiru powered aircraft

Unread post by BigglesSA » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:52 pm

I received this from a friend by mail:
Hello Jabiru Fleet,

Update on CASA limitations

We have been notified that CASA will be replacing the instrument that expires on the 30th of June with an instrument that places no limitations on Jabiru powered aircraft compliant with maintenance procedures, Service Bulletins and Letters and with no modifications.

It is heartening to see recognition by CASA of the issues faced which are beyond our control and the steps taken by Jabiru to deal with the issues within our control.

It has also been heartening to see the dramatic increase in compliance to Service Bulletins/Letters and maintenance procedures. This combined with our Jabiru engine training workshops has resulted in fewer incidents and puts us well ahead of Rotax for reliability, the standard by which CASA based their aggressive initial actions.

It is disappointing however that CASA have still retained an Acceptance of Risk Statement within the limitations for non-compliant aircraft as the signing of this provides no enhancement to the reliability of these engines and is still damaging to our business.

We will continue to work for and with our owners and operators to strengthen and grow the Jabiru Fleet. We have weathered the storm - it is now onwards and upwards for the Jabiru Fleet.

Please see the below link for your information.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/380eb6fb9 ... ort_2_.pdf
Happy Landings
Rodney Stiff
The report:
Jabiru_Engine_Reliability_Analysis_Report_2_.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by BigglesSA » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Maybe I am out of place but could not help wondering how much of this was commercially motivated?
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
dak
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: Panorama

Unread post by dak » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi Jabbernaughts
I think at the end of the day this whole affair is turning out to be good for Jabi owners and operators.
Seems reliability issues are out in the clear and fully investigated by very knowledgeable people and the right things identified to address the issues.
Just sad that it took draconian measures by CASA to get things sorted out.

Im feeling better about my investment and the safety thereof.
Hope all owners stick to the recomendations and the Jabi engine safety & reputation improves.
Wonder what the chances are of having the engine maintenance courses presented in SA?
This can only be a good thing.
Dak
ZU-MEL
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by BigglesSA » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:15 am

Dak I hear you, but I think the point of the report is that there is no issue with the engine as long as it is maintained correctly and all SB & SL up to date.

In my point of view these knee jerk over reaction by CASA was very brand damaging for Jabiru.

For me, I do not feel better about my Jabi for I never felt less than great flying her! :lol:
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
dak
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: Panorama

Unread post by dak » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi Biggles
Correct maintenance is key.... Training
Will go a long way to ensuring correct maintenance.
All Jabies cant be maintained in George so spreading knowledge is the only option.
Even training videos Youtube style would be fantastic.
Cheers
Dak
ZU-MEL
AJW
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FARB
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by AJW » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:17 pm

I wonder if Jim, Whirley, Spin & kie will read this............
Be safe
Abrie
Flooi
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAHG
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Flooi » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:43 pm

I had 2 Jabis and hesitant to comment because someone is always ready to condemn.
I loved them mainly for one reason..... Leon le Grange at Legair in Springs gave excellent service and advice.
An engine is only as good as the maintenance. Apart from minor matters, I am not technically informed
or qualified to do what many hands-on NTCA aviators can do.

As far as I am concerned, if you know and trust the AP, you have a reliable engine. The make is of secondary
importance. Primary matter is the care of the engine. I have flown behind a few other makes....
no names here.... and let me tell you I am sick and tired of phoning for advice and getting no answer.
Never one snag with my Jabis.... Leon was there every time! I would however steer clear of Jabiru if
there was no caregiver !!!!!!!! #-o
Hennie van Zyl
AJW
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FARB
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by AJW » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Flooi wrote:I had 2 Jabis and hesitant to comment because someone is always ready to condemn.
I loved them mainly for one reason..... Leon le Grange at Legair in Springs gave excellent service and advice.
An engine is only as good as the maintenance. Apart from minor matters, I am not technically informed
or qualified to do what many hands-on NTCA aviators can do.

As far as I am concerned, if you know and trust the AP, you have a reliable engine. The make is of secondary
importance. Primary matter is the care of the engine. I have flown behind a few other makes....
no names here.... and let me tell you I am sick and tired of phoning for advice and getting no answer.
Never one snag with my Jabis.... Leon was there every time! I would however steer clear of Jabiru if
there was no caregiver !!!!!!!! #-o
LIKE button.

Apart from lifter issues, a lot of my problems were.... well, avoidable....................
And I do not work on my own jabi...
Be safe
Abrie
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Morning Star

Unread post by checkride » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:53 pm

[quote="BigglesSA"]Maybe I am out of place but could not help wondering how much of this was commercially motivated?[/quote]

mmmm food for thought. Since I have been appointed the Edgeperformance rep down here in SA i have had some very interesting requests and queries concerning parts and upgrades to other brands. These other brands seems to have issues, wonder why we don't here of these issues. Just the other day had a guy call me looking for a engine casing. Casing had cracked between 1/4. In all fareness to the brand the factory offered to replace the casing but not cover the cost of re-building the engine...R210 k later.

We are happy with our engine that sounds like a aircraft engine , wouldn't change it for anything.. =D> =D> =D> My only wish would be ( FADEC ) maybe one day.
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by ZuluBen » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:15 am

LIKE!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Sanity prevails down under....

Well done to Rod and the team for persisting and staying the course!

Return to “Jabiru”