Moderator: Moderators

BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 9 times

New upgraded Jabiru brakes system

Unread post by BigglesSA » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:15 pm

I have recently fitted these new brakes to my J430. What a difference. Not that I often use brakes but just knowing I can stop when it should become necessary make a difference.

The brake system consist of only one, but fully floating calliper, with a dual pistons working off a common pressure feed. The system was designed for the export Jabirus by Australia. It was designed for the new type magnesium casted rim, but Len designed a "spacer" for the brake disc that allows it to be retro fitted to the previous rim design. It can take either the new ventilated disc or your current older type solid brake discs.

Pricing is also very good. Len quoted a price of R3500 for all the hardware needed, and a price of R5000 if he does the entire conversion. He prefers the conversion rather to be done at the factory. The reason being that on some of the older models one will have to reinforce the centre console a bit to handle the extra pressure that one can now apply on the brake lever before it reaches the end of travel.

Below some pictures I took while installation. Note the pictures does not show all the hardware.
Hardware with old rim.jpg
Cal with duel pistons.jpg
Old disc mounting point.jpg
Old solid disc.jpg
Vented disc.jpg
Spacer.jpg
Axle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: New upgraded Jabiru brakes system

Unread post by BigglesSA » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:49 pm

Disk and spacer fitted.jpg
Close spacer and disk fitted.jpg
Axle and new cal fitting to undercarrage.jpg
Fitment complete.jpg
Calp Closeup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
Shaunus
Hot start of aircraft
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Shaunus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:38 am

Hey Franscois, how are your brakes working for you?! I am a bit concerned that my stock standard brakes are pretty useless when they get a notch hot! (not that I use brakes often, but I have been flying in and out of some tighter sloped runways and I would like the ability to be able to stop if need be :D )
Privileged to have flown Cubby (ZU-CYB), Jabbie (ZU-JHF), Thunderbird (ZS-WPN, ZS-VWH), Samba XL (ZU-LAR), and C172 (ZS-JIM)
Marius Schrenk
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:01 pm

"not that I use brakes often"......seems Australia had it spot on the first time around. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by ZuluBen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Shaunus

In the interim, keep the following in mind:

a) Make sure that your Jabbie can idle at 800 rpm. Trying to brake with anything more just burns out the brakes :shock:
b) If you really want to to a short field landing / stop, flick the mags OFF as soon as the wheels are on the ground and you are committed to the landing. Go practice this, you will be amazed at the difference. :wink: 8)
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by checkride » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:52 pm

[quote="ZuluBen"]Hi Shaunus

In the interim, keep the following in mind:

a) Make sure that your Jabbie can idle at 800 rpm. Trying to brake with anything more just burns out the brakes :shock:
b) If you really want to to a short field landing / stop, flick the mags OFF as soon as the wheels are on the ground and you are committed to the landing. Go practice this, you will be amazed at the difference. :wink: 8)[/quote]

Or fit Berringer Brakes :lol: :lol: :lol: she will stop.

Return to “Jabiru”