Australian designed and manufactured Jabiru Aircraft/

Moderator: Moderators

pafuri
Tripped over wheel chock
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

MY J430 ANALOGUE GAUGES PACKING UP

Unread post by pafuri » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:18 am

My J430 steam gauges, starting with Altimeter then VDO/RPM and now the right EGT needle doesn't even wake up. Yesterday my Flaps did not want to deploy and after checking the fuse, which seemed Ok, they then came to life again. I now rely on the EFIS to monitor everything.

Anyone got an idea who can sort out my problems?. I am based in Louis Trichardt. :?:
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: MY J430 ANALOGUE GAUGES PACKING UP

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:15 pm

pafuri wrote:My J430 steam gauges, starting with Altimeter then VDO/RPM and now the right EGT needle doesn't even wake up. Yesterday my Flaps did not want to deploy and after checking the fuse, which seemed Ok, they then came to life again. I now rely on the EFIS to monitor everything.

Anyone got an idea who can sort out my problems?. I am based in Louis Trichardt. :?:
Spoke to Dave a while ago ....he mentioned that the mechanical fuel pumps starts packing up and in my case it seems the vacuum pump is on its way out. My plane has not done that much hrs but its 10 years old. I think it might be a good tip to start replacing....and renewing...also gauges....bit more electronics :idea: Who to do it ? I'm aiming at Theo at Rhino [-o< hope he helps out.
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by ZuluBen » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi Paf.

Several problems, I suspect only relating to not enough usage and possible moisture...

Altimeter.
This is a freestanding instrument and does not need any electrical, mechanical or vacuum connections. Will be as accurate in your aerie as it would be inside the outhouse on your farm... 8-[ Moisture / vibration / old age?

EGT
The standard Jabbie steam job is self powered by the current generated by the thermocouple on the engine. Usually a broken wire or loose connection. Check at the engine first.

RPM VDO unit.
They do act up from time to time. Remove, dry out in container with Silica Gel. If still not working, wrap it in nice paper and give to somebody that you do not like.. :twisted:

Flaps
Some "spookpis" Q20 or such at the motor and on the switch. (if you need help to assemble the switch again, contact Marius.... :roll: #-o :twisted: )

Good luck and let us know.
jetjr
Rolling
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by jetjr » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:46 am

First thought would be the check earth circuit. I found loose bolt on bus bar behind panel
Doesnt account for Alt problem though

Return to “Jabiru”