BenSmit
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 240 times

Jabiru drivers/owners

Unread post by BenSmit » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:50 pm

Guys, I am trying to put a list together of Jabiru owners and drivers and would appreciate if you would pm me details like name, email, ph no, reg no, model and location.

This way we can share info between owners and drivers in SA.

Thx
Ben Smit
I am not young enough to know everything
(Oscar Wilde)
kilos
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: George
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Jabiru drivers/owners

Unread post by kilos » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Why dont you start a Jabiru forum like this one or get the mods to create Jabiru Forum on Avcom
Last edited by kilos on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 359 times

Unread post by Burner » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:07 am

Great idea BJS!! Discussions about technical issues and othr Jab related issues! =D> =D>
peterd
Reaching altitude
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by peterd » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:06 am

I would support a jabiru owner/driver forum. it would also be beneficial as to how many hours on jabs and which jab reg you fly is mentioned. It helps lend credibility to statements/ observations made.
peter
BenSmit
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by BenSmit » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:38 am

Can the mods shed some light on the possibility please
Ben Smit
(Oscar Wilde)
Hennie van Zyl
Has liked: 0

Unread post by Hennie van Zyl » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:08 pm

bjs wrote:Can the mods shed some light on the possibility please
Good idea......
BenSmit
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by BenSmit » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Guys, while it is a good idea, I dont believe we should exclude any avcom members from reading the posts on Jabiru's. Some of the techical issues may not be of interest to everyone but the general posts are and should be open to everyone don't you think?
Maybe a thread that is only available to registered avcom users? or something like sprocky's lowveld news letter thread?
Ben Smit
(Oscar Wilde)
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 359 times

Unread post by Burner » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Not thinking of excluding anyone, but maybe just a section to lump all the Jab topics into one area? They are getting more and more popular after all! :D
Swampdonkey
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by Swampdonkey » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Just Do It
"Excuse me while I kiss the sky!" ---Jimi---1967-
George

Unread post by George » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Why not just go yahoo groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/) and setup your own like the rest of us... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
NickG
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

A Jabiru site and forum?

Unread post by NickG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:50 pm

I think there is a strong argument to be had that Jabiru owneship has reached a critical mass level whereby a comprehensive, independent Jabiru forum on the web is overdue.

I feel that this would add real value to Jabiru aircraft AND engine owners, prospective owners, builders and those just interested. To my mind this forum should be international and independent of Jabiru or any agents or suppliers. A web based community hub to allow folks to share information on factory built and home-build kit Jabs, share detail on certification and the vagaries of this in different territories, detail on add-ons and accessories, a place to buy and sell Jabs and associated impedimenta, a place to share Jab aircraft and engine gen. Naturally it would have a social, community aspect too as the basis to catalyse real World - analogue if you will - interaction. A place to gain from and for those of a civic minded bent, contribute to, the global Jabiru diaspora.

In essence, I would suggest that something along the lines of Vans Air Force is well overdue for the Jabiru World, with dare I say, a less US centric and more of an internationalist bent. There is presently - at least as far as I am aware - nothing serving this role really out there yet.

To summerise what exists; currently, there is, in the Jabiru World on the Interweb...
  • Theoriginal Antipodean Jabiru Bundeberg site in Australia, the home of Jabiru.
  • The South African agents, the George based, Shadowlite cc factory site.
  • There are the sites of various other agents from differing parts of the world, including the US, the UK (though I hear the agency may be changing) Canada...there are others.
  • There is the UK Based Jabirus Owners site, possibly the closest yet to what I have in mind. But candidly, I think that it's a bit rough and unity with a ropey forum software 'engine' and it's poorly maintained - OK I'll pre-emptively plead guilty, subtlety and diplomacy are not my strong suite!
  • Lastly there are the Jabiru Engine group and the Jabiru aircraft group, both of which are very basic Yahoo groups mailing list single thread entities. Again to my mind rather limited, I suspect more because of the medium than through lack of interest.
For the geeks out there....as a software platform, I think PhpBB - the software on which Avcom works, is fine - hell it's free. Better yet in my view, having done a goodly amount of 'due diligence', is VBulletin, which isn't.

I can quite easily set either of these up and get it going. The VBulletin sofware and hosting would be of the order of R1,000 - R 4,000 per year....not alot, but I am not prepared to run it ad infinitum....been there done that, I founded and ran for a goodly while a couple of 4x4 clubs and their associated forums, and it's a real embuggerance dealing with the workload and wasting time on the seemingly inevitable petty squabbles.

Anyway, it would be good to get some reaction from the good people out there; better yet, offers to put a shoulder to the wheel....comments?
Nick Good

"We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances." Sir Isaac Newton, Principia Mathmatica 1687
BenSmit
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by BenSmit » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:03 am

Ok NickG lost me on sentence 2. but I agree wholeheartedly that an independent forum is imminent and I am quite happy to initiate.
George, what do you mean by "like the rest of us"?
Ben Smit
(Oscar Wilde)
codegit

Unread post by codegit » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:57 am

Another suggestion. Why dont we have a forum that says something like "specific aircraft" and then have sub forums within that forum for the more popular aircraft (include the Cessna's and pipers etc). This way people of similar aircraft could discuss exact issues with their type of aircraft. Also, it would be a good reference point for people thinking of purchasing an aircraft, as some of the more particular questions relevant to the aircraft could be answered in this forum.

My 2 cents.
kwatale

Unread post by kwatale » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:24 am

I think the "Specefic Aircraft" Forum with sub-forums is the best idea! Lets go for it!
George

Unread post by George » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:23 am

bjs wrote:Ok NickG lost me on sentence 2. but I agree wholeheartedly that an independent forum is imminent and I am quite happy to initiate.
George, what do you mean by "like the rest of us"?
Bush baby have their own user group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bushbaby/
SA RV's have their own user group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rvclubsa/
Cubby's had their own user group.. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cubbysa/
etc.

Simple to set up, free (no hosting costs). works on email and files can be exchanged easily.... Members drive and manage it. I happy to set-up the Jabi SA group and get the ball rolling but then should be driven by someone who has a Jabi...
Check this out...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jabitusa

Took 5 mins. 8-[ Anyone can join, but you can restric membership etc. Pictures, POH, tips etc can be uploaded and hosted by Yahoo... Sending an mail message to jabitusa@yahoogroups.com will go to all registered members...

Simple and effective IMHO :wink:

Return to “Jabiru”