Moderator: Moderators

Namibfox
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: FYWB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Ask George

Unread post by Namibfox » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Last edited by Namibfox on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin64
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Witbank Airfield

Unread post by Martin64 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 am

Hi, 95 Unleaded fuel spilled through the breather onto the wing and flap. Tried to wash it off with Clean Green but with not much success. Seems like the flap has stained. Any other suggestions to clean? #-o
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by BigglesSA » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 am

Stop using 95 immediately! :wink:

Try using a good silicone free polish like 3M or equivalent.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by wynand » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:54 pm

ZuluBen wrote:Leon wrote:
One more question. I notice the pipe hanging freely is connected to the "OUT" side of the pump. In other words the pump sucks from the instruments rather than blow to them. Is this correct? Keep in mind the pump had been removed during a recent MPI.
Indeed.

It has to generate a vacuum, so it effectively "pumps in reverse".

It is advisable not to turn the engine the wrong way round if it could be avoided, as the little carbon vanes in the pump tend to wear a directional face on them, and this could get stuck when the pump is reversed.

Lifespan of these things should really be about 2000 hrs.

Wynand, have you replaced yours yet?
My shear coupling sheared at around 900 hrs when it went brittle. I installed one that Len had manufactured. Its now got about 500hrs on it. We'll see how long it lasts.
There's a brass bleed valve under the instrument panel, pilot side. You can tune the vacuum with that. If the vac gauge reads high in the green, your shear coupling is under stress. Too low in the green and your instruments might wander.
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." -Ernest K. Gann
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by wynand » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:58 pm

Martin64 wrote:Hi, 95 Unleaded fuel spilled through the breather onto the wing and flap. Tried to wash it off with Clean Green but with not much success. Seems like the flap has stained. Any other suggestions to clean? #-o
I believe the easiest way to rub off fuel stains is with a fuel soaked rag. The dye in the fuel is, after all, fuel soluble.
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." -Ernest K. Gann
Dusty Crophopper
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit

Unread post by Dusty Crophopper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:47 am

Hi, I took delivery of a Jabi SK (same as the older SP) about a month ago. The brakes are a bit mushy and probably needs to to bled. I can not locate any bleeding nipples anywhere on the system (not on master cylinder or slave cylinders) How does one bleed this system? The master reservoir is still full but the brakes can not hold the plane when a mag check is done. Any help will be welcome.
Tortoise man
Taxiing

Unread post by Tortoise man » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:58 pm

just keep pumpijg will come right also have a sk and it work for me.
Tony4
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: FABB

Unread post by Tony4 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:17 am

Tortoise man wrote:just keep pumpijg will come right also have a sk and it work for me.
TSK TSK. This is not a bicycle. Take the Ac in to a competent repairer and until such time as it has been repaired, please do not come visit our airfield! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eloquence is the spidery web of ambiguity, but an action remains a fact. Tangofox.
Aspire to be more than the species definition of a human being.
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Morning Star

Unread post by checkride » Tue May 24, 2016 11:20 pm

what the hell happened to George.....Lost his nerve, out of fuel maybe....do we need a new George....come on george whoever you are :D :D whahahahah
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Morning Star

Unread post by checkride » Tue May 24, 2016 11:22 pm

[quote="Dusty Crophopper"]Hi, I took delivery of a Jabi SK (same as the older SP) about a month ago. The brakes are a bit mushy and probably needs to to bled. I can not locate any bleeding nipples anywhere on the system (not on master cylinder or slave cylinders) How does one bleed this system? The master reservoir is still full but the brakes can not hold the plane when a mag check is done. Any help will be welcome.[/quote]

They on the Calliper, thats wee mine are or where .... :D :D
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by BigglesSA » Wed May 25, 2016 8:57 am

Hi Dusty

The very fiirst brake system did not have bleading nipples. The pipe enters at the top. There is a way of bleading them but the brakes almost always remain spongy.

I would suggest that you change the brake system to the latest. It can be ordered from the factory in George as a retro fit with all the bits and pieces. If you not comfortable doing it yourself take a flight down to George. Nice area to fly in!
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
buffet
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: east london

Unread post by buffet » Thu May 26, 2016 8:32 am

Dustycropper

I have the same problem with my SP 470 no bleeding nipple, you pump the brake like you would do with a car, hold and then release the pressure by loosening the nut going into the calliper, then tightening it before releasing the brake, do it about 3 to 4 times with each wheel and the brake will become hard and it will hold the AC.
Just make sure you topup the brake fluid after every bleeding.
From there on check the level regularly.

Return to “Jabiru”