ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Take off distance in j4xx

Unread post by ZuluBen » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi Wynand

The way the weather is at the moment, I think we are looking at 7 - 8 Oct at this stage..... :? :(
It is very important to buy your fresh stock of memory pills before you run out completely ...
INVEST IN AFRICA, BUY A POLITICIAN!
Now a legal UFO driver as well !! A2 - UFO
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by wynand » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:05 am

My crystal ball shows good weather 6,7 and 8 October, indicating it to be prudent to arrive on the 6th, ensuring a return flight on the 8th. The 9th might be dodgy.

When is Henk returning from die bos? Also havent heard from Ben Smit yet..
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." -Ernest K. Gann
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by henk-indabush » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:11 pm

Just got in the door, back from the bos. Still have to unload and clean everything - loads to do. Quick check on the avcom site for progress. had no time to look at weather prospects. Please call me on zero eight 3 two 7 nine 7 8 two 6 to inform me of the latest plans, I am available any time - will propably unpack & clean till late at night tonight (Sun night).. PLease call me and update me on weather.
"Circumstances doth not maketh the man, it reveals him" James Allen
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by ZuluBen » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:11 pm

OK, let us fallback, reload and review.
I have to be at Brits on 16, 17 and 18th, hopefully the documentation on my plane will be sorted by then, if not, let us look at Mid November.
How are you guys set for those dates?
It is very important to buy your fresh stock of memory pills before you run out completely ...
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by wynand » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:07 pm

16,17,18 Nov looks good, so does the weekend of 21,22 Nov.
What say you guys?

I fooled around a bit today and I figure we can save ourselves a helluva lot of trouble by using data capture with our GPS'es.
I set my Garmin296 to 1 second interval track sampling and did 2 take offs at Hoedspruit Civil.

Once the tracks are uploaded to Mapsource, one can zoom in on the take off run and I'm quite sure I can discern to the nearest second where the aerie became airborne and when I cleared 50 ft. All we have to do is set track sampling to 1 second, at least for the take-off run and then reset it to whatever you prefer once in the cruise, so your data doesn't fall out the top of the memory banks.

Then, a bit of discipline to record Take off weight, temp, gradient, surface type and wind for every take off so the data can be interpreted accordingly.
Quick way to build a database that could form the basis of proper performance tables/graphs for each of our aeries.

We can still get together, and we can still do some trial runs, but we don't need observers and we can gather data for every take-off we do, anywhere.

In the following graphs I added the red text for annotation.
The first one shows 760m to 50ft clearance. Considering it was 32°C, no wind, 560kg, 1740ft, it seems about right.
ZU ESO 9Oct09 560kg1735 ft 32degr no wind.jpg
Thee same data set zoomed in on the ground run:
ZU ESO 9Oct09 560kg1735 ft 32degr no wind b.jpg
The grey shaded data field in the table corresponds with the moment of lift-off.
ZU ESO 9Oct09 560kg1735 ft 32degr no wind c.jpg
Nifty feature on Mapsource hey? :D . Now if I can get the numbers into a spreadsheet ............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." -Ernest K. Gann
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by ZuluBen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:30 am

:shock: Hot Darned Dog :shock:

We have some blerry clever people her on AVCOM, let me tell you ..... I am most impressed. =D>

Now you are gonna be having to teach us uneddecated peoples how to do that bit of downloading.... :lol:

But me thinks we can do that when we all get together.

Both sets of dates are looking good for me, and as I am going to tear those pages out of my diary so nobody can schedule anything in there, you would have to remind me closer to the time again please :wink:
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by henk-indabush » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks Wynand
very Impressive indeed. =D> =D> =D>
PLease let me apologise again for missing the last date we had, I had guests from Namibia (whose visit I greatly appreciated) and when I convinced them (didn't need any persuasion!) to go with me and do our own trials, we had a serious crosswind which made any flying impossible.
Mid-november is good for me, but what Wynand has done is excellent and there's no reason why we cannot carry on in the same vein. I will gladly follow wynand's lead.
I will be back in SA 12 November, till then no flying for me.
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by ZuluBen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:15 pm

With many potential Jabbies going to Parys mid November, shall we not do the "Hot and High" there?

Hopefully Henk will be there as well.

But I am still going to go to Wynand's, probably straight from Parys!
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by henk-indabush » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:22 am

We can ask the arriving aeries (pilots?) if they are interested. It's their breakast run. I will be there definitely (schucks, I will be the only one NOT FLYING in), perhaps not at 8 AM, but I will make it. But I also may (perhaps, date not finalized yet, but very probable) have to leave for George later the same day, so cannot make it straight to Wynand from Parys. Good idea to do when many jabbie pilots are around!
Now I just need wynand to explain to me how to set the 296 to 1 sec interval track sampling.... :?
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by ZuluBen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:23 pm

WYNAND!!! YOU COMING !!?? :lol: Then we can fly down to your place together on Monday morning.

Kom Boet, we need to get clever. :wink:

Henk, could you recommend a place to sleep over on Sunday night if WX close in, would like to make prelim bookings just in case..

Currently stuck in Vereeniging, do not trust the weather much here this time of the year
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by henk-indabush » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:51 pm

My place is available. It will cost you an arm and a leg but you are pilots, so natuarlly you have money! No geeezzz :shock: :shock: I have seen your legs, so let me rethink that :lol:
Just kidding, of course my place is available, for free. I have a place in vanderbijlpark and one at the vaal dam, with a landing strip. So if not actually raining, you can fly over to the dam and park there overnight. Runway is grass, so condition is variable. I am still overseas and have not seen it for a month, so do not know what it's like now. If that's not good enough, surely there's a nice place just across the river. Don't worry, you will be sorted.
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by wynand » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 pm

To set sampling frequency on 296:
<Menu> <Menu>
Choose the "track" menu box on the left
Select "Active" tab on the top
Now you can set "Inteval" to "time" and "Value" to 00:00:01

As regards Parys on 15th. I'll try to be there, but weather and a brief trip to Moz might intervene. Also, my Jab is presently in Springs for its annual (yes, its been a year since I met her)
I might only get back here on Sunday.
Whether I'm at Parys or not, ZuluBen, I have space 15 and 16 Nov for the two(?) of you. You are most welcome.

Any of you Jabi flyers are welcome (at the original rate I mentioned for the October get-together), but let me know soon, since space is becoming limited.

Roll on, good weather...
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by henk-indabush » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:54 am

Thanks Wynand, now I also know. Is it possible to record a few tracks on the same day?
I am going down to our beloved "george" on 15/16 Nov, to fetch a Jabbie, weather depending. So again, I cannot make it to MPumalanga. Eish, starting to feel embarressed :oops: :oops: :oops:
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by wynand » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:48 am

Henk, I haven't figured out how many minutes or hours of tracks the 296 can store if its set to 1 second sampling. If I go somewhere I reset it to something like 10 second intervals after take-off, then it stores several hours.

Don't worry. We're still aiming to organize a fun rally at Hoedspruit around March/May 2010
The weather is much better then.

Enjoy your pilgrimage to George. Pay my respects.. [-o<
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by henk-indabush » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks wynand, will do. With the utmost of respects.
Will follow your example about the track sampling. As you say, discipline about recording conditions and soon we will have a databse.

Return to “Jabiru”