jacovt
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Modifying RV 7 or 14 luggage area

Unread post by jacovt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Morning

Been an Avcom lurker for a few months - finally posting.

I have a question about potential modifications to RV 7 and RV 14 load areas behind the seats. These areas have fairly tight dimensions even though the planes have quite useful carry capacities weight wise. I have seen some experimentals like the sling 4 allow a modification to the back of the load bay in the form of a small section (say 30cm x 30cm and about 50cm deep)that extends from the back of the normal luggage area further back into the fuselage to allow longer, light items like e.g golf clubs or a hunting rifle to fit into the luggage area. Assuming of course you can still fit into CG limits.

I have not seen mention of any similar modifications to RV7s or RV14s? Or am I missing something?

Thanks
Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Modifying RV 7 or 14 luggage area

Unread post by Chalkie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Jaco, your post has been here for a week, with no one prepared to comment and for a very good reason. Van in his writings always says aviation is a series of compromises, but if you are building your RV then YOU are the manufacturer, Van is the kit component supplier. YOU are responsible for the safety of the aircraft.

If you choose to modify the aircraft, it is your choice. Van might not approve but you will have to fly off the proving flight hours, once this is done the integrity of the aircraft and your mods are proved to work. Note I did not say are 'safe.'

Golf clubs are not 'light' by any definition. Hats, coats etc might be and will do less damage to the back of your head in an accident than hunting rifles and golf clubs in the event of an accident.

Proceed with caution and resist the temptation to 'improve the breed.'
Rule #2 Hurry up Slowly.
Cynic: One who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
jacovt
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Been liked: 0

Re: Modifying RV 7 or 14 luggage area

Unread post by jacovt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks Chalkie. Your response confirms my suspicion that no factory-manufacturer approved modifications to the load area exists. I kind of assumed that the lack of response to my question was inferring that.

I take your point around home builds and owner modifications to aircraft kits.

I guess if you want to transport golf clubs or hunting rifles you just take them apart until the pieces fit into the load area :wink:

Thanks

Return to “Van's Aircraft”