Moderator: Moderators

cmacm
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: Grand central
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

MPI / C of A advice

Unread post by cmacm » Thu May 15, 2014 7:54 am

I am looking for both advice and recommendations . My plane RV6A which I bought a year ago is due for the annual MPI .I am hangared at Tedderfield where would you recommend I take it and assuming no major problems what cost could I expect ?
Kevin McCormack
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Heidelberg [FAHG]
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: MPI / C of A advice

Unread post by Kevin McCormack » Thu May 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Have you considered doing it yourself? (Although am not sure that this allowed if you did not build it yourself!!). It would be a good way to get "intimate" knowledge of your aircraft, not to mention saving on costs. If you wish to consider this send me an e-mail and I could send you some lists of what needs to be done (with logical amendments basis model / engine etc).
Life is short - live every day as if it is your last!
cmacm
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: Grand central
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by cmacm » Thu May 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Kevin ,thanks for the response I will send a mail as I am interested to know what has to be done . This would be a substantial leap for me but would certainly improve my knowledge .However is there someone who could give an opinion on kevin's statement "Although am not sure that this allowed if you did not build it yourself!!). "
Kevin McCormack
Rolling

Unread post by Kevin McCormack » Thu May 15, 2014 4:37 pm

I'll check with the AP I use for my MPI's!
Ryan Beeton
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 5 times

Unread post by Ryan Beeton » Fri May 16, 2014 12:18 pm

cmacm wrote:Kevin ,thanks for the response I will send a mail as I am interested to know what has to be done . This would be a substantial leap for me but would certainly improve my knowledge .However is there someone who could give an opinion on kevin's statement "Although am not sure that this allowed if you did not build it yourself!!). "
Hi,

That's the beauty of a ZU. Call a registered AP - we use Paul Kingsley or Norman Stapleburg.

You prepare the RV for the inspection. This means, taking the cowls off. Changing the oil and oil filter - if you are unsure, one of them can do the change for you and wire lock the new filter.

Open all inspection hatches - including the ones under the seats. (Story to follow that will make you <<moderated - language>> in your best pair of rods!)

The AP will arrive and spend a good 2 hours going over all your control surfaces, etc and your aerie will get a thorough look over.

I have done 4 MPI's with an AP, and everyone has been thorough.

A good mate had been sending his RV7 in to an AMO for servicing - the 400 hour one being R 17000.00 :shock: :shock: :shock: After encouraging him to go the AP route, we prepared the aerie for the inspection, and changed the oil. The OIL filter was the same filter from a previous date - BEFORE the R17K MPI! [-X [-X [-X When we removed the seats to open the inspection panels below the seats, the velcro holding the seat covers the overlapping area of the two inspection hatches - this had never been lifted since its installation - 500 hours ago!!!!

You have a ZU registration. Use the AP's who are authorised to work on your aerie - and be there with them when it happens. That way you learn what needs to be done and you are involved with every step of the process.

If you want, contact me and I'll get the AP to your hangar and come and help you prepare - we fly out of Tedderfield and are there once a week flying formation in the RV's.

Best
Ryan
076 570 1479
Carpe Diem
Kevin McCormack
Rolling

Unread post by Kevin McCormack » Mon May 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks Ryan - I've checked with Norman for input on the non-builder maintenance issue and have both onpassed both his number and the info to Craig! Agree that own maintenance is the only way to go basis the horror stories I hear coming from ZS owners!

cheers

Return to “Van's Aircraft”