A dream: Building and flying my own RV!...

The popular range of RV kitplanes

Moderator: Moderators

lampiesJR
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Porterville
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 62 times

A dream: Building and flying my own RV!...

Unread post by lampiesJR » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi guys

It has been a dream of me for quite a long time to own a RV, especially the RV6 or RV7. It is quite an aircraft that catches the eye!

I'm planning to go study Aircraft maintenance next year at Denel. That is what I want to do one day. Work on aircraft. If all goes well, and I qualify as an AME, shall I be able to build or finish a RV kit/project with the skills I have learnt as a new qualified AME? In a nut shell, will I be able to build an RV as an unexperienced aircraft builder, but as an AME and what type of skills do you need to finish such an aircraft?

I'm also now busy with my ppl.(Hopefully going solo tomorrow!! :!: :!: ). Probably at the time when ''my RV'' is done in the future, I'll hopefully be a 100hrs+ pilot. With that in mind, how docile aircraft is the RV for a low hour pilot to build the necessary experience like tailwheel and stick&rudder skills?

As everyone has told me, and as I already know, a RV is a "ryk man speelding". Thats why building would be my "cheaper" option.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Regards

L
NC Lambrechts
ZU-CUB

Phil 4:13
Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 221 times

Re: A dream: Building and flying my own RV!...

Unread post by Chalkie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:15 am

The idea of building a kit-built/homebuilt aircraft is EDUCATION. At the end of the project you will have a wonderful light aircraft. Your AME training will be of great assistance to you, and on your first kit it is imperative that you STUDY the plans carefully. Do not just rush ahead as so many do. Read chapter five at least twice before starting. The plans are written with education as the goal, initially the plans carefully describe how to do a specific task, as you progress, you will be told 'fit this part to that part' as you are expected to have gained knowledge during execution of the previous tasks.

The pre-punched RV kits are produced to an amazing standard of accuracy. If you fit two or three parts together and they do not fit well; then go back and read the plans again, as you would have made a mistake. The kit parts would not be at fault.

Flying an RV is not too challenging for a 100 hour pilot, perhaps that is why 8 783 have been completed and flown, according to the hobbs meter on Van's site.

You will need to do proper transition training. The RV- taildragger series are not difficult to handle on the ground, being a well designed NTCA they do comply, structurally with Part 23 of the FAR's but they do not comply in the stability requirements of the FAR's. As a result you need to keep one eye on the airspeed indicator during an approach to land as if you allow the speed to decrease, there is little or no feedback on the stick to let you know you are not at your in-trim speed. (Cessnas have a large spring that pulls the nose down and you are always trimming against the load) Better still, fit an EFIS with Angle of Attack info.

Perhaps you should investigate the RV-9 as this is Van's best-kept secret. The -9 lands at Super Cub speeds and cruises at RV-speeds.

Now go and order the tools and the empenage kit. :D
lampiesJR
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lampiesJR » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks a lot for all the info Chalkie!

L
NC Lambrechts
ZU-CUB

Eddie
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Zuikerkop lodge
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Eddie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi lampies

I did not build my RV (also dreaming to do so). I started flying the RV-6a straight after getting my license on a 172, with no issues at all! The most difficult part is to adjust to the sensitive pitch in the flare. I feel MUCH safer and more in control in the RV than the 172.

Good luck!
Remove (ego) Before Flight
RV-10 ZU-RVI “Stimela”
RV-4 ZU-RVF “Meercat”
lampiesJR
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lampiesJR » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi Eddy

Yes, I agree with you. I did part of my training on a 172 and now on a 150. Flying a yoke-aircraft and that with your left hand(most of them), for me, just isn't that nice to fly and enjoy as a stick aircraft. You just feel more in control of an aircraft with a stick between your legs.

L
NC Lambrechts
ZU-CUB

Alan stewart
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Panorama Airfield
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Alan stewart » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:30 am

Chalkie summed it nicely ,
And the RV9 is the best kept secret ,I have 600+ hours on mine and I LOVE it.
Oh and chalkie did the test flight and gave me a few helpful tips on flying the RV.(he knows the RV)

Uber alles RV ( as jan always says)
http://www.jhbflying.co.za
Johannesburg Flying Academy

Return to “Van's Aircraft”