Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 215 times

RV-10 Nose Gear Support Cracks Found

Unread post by Chalkie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:43 am

For RV-10 owners and operators, some guys in the USA who operate of unimproved (grass) strips have found cracks in the flat plate where the rubber bushes press up against the structure on the engine mount.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... p?t=116171

It would appear that one or two have had the entire gear leg drop out of the 'dyna focal ring' and flat plate structure; but IMHO this would have to imply bad or no inspections as this could only happen if the flat plate cracked up and disintegrated entirely. One guy reported that he almost had the nose gear drop out, but for a few threads of the bolt at the top, snagging on the dyna focal ring.

So perhaps a longer bolt through the 'top hat' welded fitting at the top of the gear leg; with spacers either side, would prevent the gear leg from falling out, through the dyna focal ring? (My plans are in the hangar, so I cannot give you part numbers to make the explanation clearer.)

Evidently Van knows of the problem and an SB will be issued some time in the future.
Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 215 times

Re: RV-10 Nose Gear Support Cracks Found

Unread post by Chalkie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: RV-10 Nose Gear Support Cracks Found

Unread post by Pete » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Thx for the heads up Chalkie.

Looks like a groot job if there are cracks, I have my doubts that the doubler can be welded in without engine & mount removal 8-[

Nosewheels are horrible things.. wish there was a 10TD! :D

Return to “Van's Aircraft”