RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Rudi's RV10 Build

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:21 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:I had the pleasure of visiting Rudi's "theatre" where he performs surgical magic on Vans Aircraft kits. :D
=D> What an experience to see his work & workshop. =D>
The RV12 components are waiting in their boxes to be collected but this RV10 is BIG :shock: in comparison to the 12 :)
He He Paul, Good to have you over. :lol:
ppakotze
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Fly from FARS
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by ppakotze » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Just a crazy thought. Wouldn't it be easier (quicker/cheaper) to build two RV12s, one for you and one for the wife?

Regards
P.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:01 am

ppakotze wrote:Just a crazy thought. Wouldn't it be easier (quicker/cheaper) to build two RV12s, one for you and one for the wife?

Regards
P.
He He ppakotze, 2 x RV12 hmmm, Easier Yes, Less Time Consuming Yes, Cheaper about the same 2 x $60K = $120K for RV12 vs +/- $120K for RV10 QuickBuild (exlc shipping, VAT, paint etc)

Anycase my wife is not really interested to learn to fly, she just enjoys the flying to places part.
So I guess I have it perfect. No fights on who fly's what when, Not necesarry for me to maintian a toy for her, but she supports me and my toys! :twisted:
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Kit Builder
WW1 Fokker E-III: viewtopic.php?f=324&t=190292
RV-7: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3239
RV-10: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48930
Willie van Zyl
Pre-take off checks
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Willie van Zyl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:54 pm

ppakotze wrote:she supports me and my toys!
Dis die definisie van `n perfekte vrou :mrgreen:
It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill - Wilbur Wright

Willie van Zyl
Private Pilots License - Fixed wing
minivan
Incipient Spin

Unread post by minivan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Reminds me of a discussion I had with my now wife long ago. The conversation went like this ...

Me: Don't you think we are lucky, all the toys, microlight, Bike 4x4, RC car, RC heli etc, what more can we want.

She: Oh, that's great, but we're one up on you - :twisted:

Me: Impossible - how come ..? :?

She: Well, I've got you ...and your toys!

:)

Now, to get her to help build the toy I want? - How do you do that - might just bring our world closer!

Rudi - any advice? :D
Like all great things achieved in life .... Little inspiration and a lot of perspiration... therefore "Carpe Diem"!!!
RV-10 #41049 - Building Emp Kit
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index.php ... roject=856
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:48 am

minivan wrote:<SNIP>

Now, to get her to help build the toy I want? - How do you do that - might just bring our world closer!

Rudi - any advice? :D
Hmmm, I'll try but you have to sell it to her :twisted:

Tell her (Depending the model that you are going to build) it will take 1,000 to 2,500 hours to build.
That is 1,000 to 2,500 hours you are going to be at home instead of at the (bar, airfield, strip club , put in any activity she frons upon [-X)
Better having you in the garage, then some place she can't keep tabs on you while you spend free cash.

The good thing is she can help with a tiny portion of the build +/- 1% to 5% of it, bringing your family closer.

With a RV you are not going to loose your money, it is an asset. (The labour doesn't pay during the project, but neither does wathcing TV or sitting in the BAR)When it is done, you will easily be able to sell it for more than you paid, if you do a good job. RV's are popular and easy to sell. Actually building a RV you are going to save money and "invest it in the RV", cause you are not going to spend it in the BAR or that activity she does not like.

In the end you have an BRAND NEW Awesome Airplane, you know inside out, you can maintain yourself, do the Annuals yourself (Builder Owner).
Having ultra low maintenance cost, means you have more spare cash, means you can go on more trips, or more money for the home.
Being BRAND NEW, means you are going to get a lifetime out of the airplane.

Here is the clincher, the traditional (Non RV12) RV's are excellent X-country machines, economical and FAST. Suddenly Vic Falls is around the corner, Namibia trips just a stone throw away, Going to the lowveld or the coast, 1 or 2 hours away. Your quick vacation horisons will more than double. That is what made my wife tell me to build a RV10, so we can take the little one with.

How you are going to pay for it...
Don't buy that New Luxury Car when your current one is paid of, buy a RV kit instead, and drive your current car.
3-5 years down the line you have a NEW AIRPLANE that is paid for, then buy a NEW CAR if you want on. Then you have both NEW, best of both worlds

Regards
Rudi

PS: Imagine anyone sitting for 1000 to 2500 hours in a strip club :wink:
Amateur Kit Builder
Willie van Zyl
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by Willie van Zyl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:00 am

RudiGreyling wrote:PS: Imagine anyone sitting for 1000 to 2500 hours in a strip club
Hy gaan pink eyes kry...... :twisted:
It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill - Wilbur Wright

Willie van Zyl
Private Pilots License - Fixed wing
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Elevator preparations done

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:41 am

Good Monday RVators,

Made some good progress this week with the boring preparation and priming tasks.

First up Tool time:
Since I did not have much to show in lue of actual progress, I decided to give you a bit more tool tips this week.

First a spray table is very handy, it is basically a frame with a mesh over it. I put mine up on some trestles and is easy to store away against a wall.

Then an ordinary cardboard pipe is handy to remove the sticky blue protective plastic. Just start it then roll it up, holding the skin down. When you’re done use a Stanley knife to cut the plastic of the pipe. If the plastic is really sticky heat it up by leaving the skin in the sun, or run your heat gun over it.

Fit your deburring tool in a comfortable grip and light battery operated screw driver. You are going to use it a lot. I just finished 2,000 holes this week. If you look carefully you can see the burr shavings next to each hole. You just want to remove the burr, NOT countersink the material.

Have lots of scrap wood piecies. Here is a tip, if you need to countersink a long angle, drill it to a scrap wood and clecko it to it, that way you can easily countersink it.

On to the progress report…
I finished deburing and priming the elevator structures, it took some time cause there are many holes. You can also see when I prime I leave the outside plastic on, on some of the parts.

Then I also manage to start riveting the structure together.
First a couple of nutplates on the elevator trim cover plate and inspection panel, and the elevator counter balance ribs are done.

Then I also riveted the main elevator spars hinge points and the white elevator control horns into place.

This week, with all the prep work done and behind us, means it is all systems go for riveting the elevators together. I hope to complete at least the elevators this week. Then Maybe next week I can start with the trim tabs.

Till Next Time,
Regards
Rudi
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Kit Builder
grostek

Unread post by grostek » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi Rudi,
As always your progress report is very informative.Thank you.

It may not look like much progress but 2000 goles to deburr on both sides of the sheets is very, very time consuming and so boring that it probably makes you want to hurry to get to the next hole.

However I am sure all holes are equaly well deburred, because sitting at 5000 feet and worrying about a small part that was not done properly can spoil the whole flying of the aircraft, so I salute you for the meticulous way you do all your work.

Happy building this week.

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek
W1zzard
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by W1zzard » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi Rudi,

I have unfortunately just come across this post and I must say I will certainly be following it every week from now on. I must admit you do make it look all too easy but man alive I am sure there is some major work going in there, keep it up I look forward to seeing the finished product.
30000' for life
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:02 am

Jeffwheel wrote:Hi Rudi,

I have unfortunately just come across this post and I must say I will certainly be following it every week from now on. I must admit you do make it look all too easy but man alive I am sure there is some major work going in there, keep it up I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks Jeff,

"Easy" not really, but I'm doing it without being invlovled in the industry. If I can then anyone can!
You just need to be a DIY kind-a-guy, and have patience, and willing to ask a lot of questions.
The EAA guys I have met are great and willing to part with their knowledge.

Groete, Rudi
Amateur Kit Builder
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Elevators almost done...

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:31 am

Good Monday RVators,

I made some good progress on elevators this week spending 15 hours on the build this week.

Progress report (tool tips contained within):
First you need to back rivet the little elevator rib halves to the mating skins. The picture below shows the 4 mating elevator halves (L & R, top & Bottom) with the ribs in place.

After mating the 2 halves together you rivet the rear elevator spar in place. Half of the rear spar are exposed for easy riveting, the place where the trim tab will fit, the other half you are faced with a decision. You either need to make a special bucking bar to get in between the thin training edge OR use carbon steel pop rivets to attach them. I chose solid rivets and made the special bucking bar (pop rivets is for the RV12, been there done that ;-) ). In the picture below you can see the special long bucking bar with yellow duct tape padding so that it does not damage the skin. You can see how deep it needs to reach between the top and bottom trailing edge skins.

The bar is long and you use it as a lever on the table edge to get enough force on the rivet in that confined space.

With the rear spar in place, next you need to fit the front spar and elevator horn in place. Below is what it looks like and where it fits.

The front spar in place. You can see the front is still open, later on (maybe this week) we will roll the 2 skins (top and bottom) to form the leading edge similar to the rudder, using a broomstick, closing it up, and forming a good aerodynamic shape to fit behind the horizontal stabilizer.

Now remember the thin trailing edge portion which required the special bucking bar at top, there is no-way to get in there to set ribs, so what to do to stiffen it up? Vans get you to make a couple of foam ribs that you will glue into the trailing edge (the same is true for the trim tabs). Below you can see the foam ribs cut out from the supplied foam blocks. Vans gives you the paper templates, and you stick them on with pritt stick (Yep I used pritt stick on my airplane “om hom aanmekaar te spoeg en plak. ;-) ) then a bandsaw works wonders to cut it accurately.

Before you can fit the foam ribs into the Trailing edge, you need to rivet the elevator tip rib and counterbalance extension to the elevator. This is what it looks like and where it goes.

Then you take the foam ribs, glue them up with pro-seal, put them in the trailing edge, glue up the trailing triangular wedge, and close up the trailing edge. You put a clecko in every hole and weigh the assembly down.

Now all I have to do is wait for the pro-seal to cure, then I can finish riveting the Elevators up.

This week I will start with the trim tabs and counter balance weights.

Groete
Rudi
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Kit Builder
ColdFingers
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FADU Walkersons
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by ColdFingers » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Rudi,

As usual, I am totally fascinated. I look forward to your weekly updates and a standard item on my Monday "to do list" is "check Rudi's build thread".

I am paricularly impressed with your attention to detail and this example you have set has driven me to do more of the same in my model building.

Regards
Andy Mills
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:09 pm

ColdFingers wrote:Rudi,

As usual, I am totally fascinated. I look forward to your weekly updates and a standard item on my Monday "to do list" is "check Rudi's build thread".

I am paricularly impressed with your attention to detail and this example you have set has driven me to do more of the same in my model building.

Regards
Hi Andy,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Yes it all starts with models :twisted: A big traditional airplane like this is just like model building, the parts are just bigger and there are more of them.
I also started with model building...A rib is stil a rib, a Former and a bulkhead is still a former and bulkhead no matter if it is for a model or a kit airplane. Your model building experience and knowledge will come in handy when you want to try your hand at kit building!

Regards
Rudi
Amateur Kit Builder
grostek

Unread post by grostek » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi Rudi,

I can see that you enjoy your work and this enjoyment is reflected in your finished parts which are perfect examples of how it should be done.

I think you will be glad when the "Tailfeathers" are done because these must be the parts with the least access for bucking bars making progress very slow if you don't want to damage a part with a dent from a slipped bucking bar.

It is an absolute joy to see how clean and organised your work area is, this makes work much easier and faster.

Have a happy building week.

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.

Return to “Van's Aircraft”