The popular range of RV kitplanes

Moderator: Moderators

mauritz
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: RV-12 by Bennie

Unread post by mauritz » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Baie bly om te sien jy is weer aan die bou. Jy moet begin roer dat ons saam kan klaar bou voor einde 2012. =D> [-o<
bennie
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Been liked: 0

Unread post by bennie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Ja Mauritz... hy kom so stadig! Nog baie water wat die see eers moet in loop.......

Laat weet gerus jou vordering.

Bennie
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi all.

Some small installations were made the past week before the closing up of the fuse cone could start. The electrical wires for the trim were placed as well as the static plumbing - something new!! Very simple system - piping fits over a rivet in the skin after removing the rivet head.

Hope it is properly sealed as fixing leaks after completion will be challenging.

Bennie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter L
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Peter L » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Mooi Bennie,

Glad to see your little one is still as keen as ever :D

Groete

Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 am

Yes Peter. School activities are taking over.

last week invited a couple of his friends and their dad's (kids I have seen at school and Dad's I have never met) for a rivit session last week. Sorry no photos. Kids got to pull rivets Dad's help to squeeze nut plate rivits. Interesting that the dad's who came, at short notice, are into motor rebuilding and could relate to the build. The enjoyed the tools and the cleannes of the build.

Next update soon.....
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:22 am

Morning

The past days were spent (30minute sessions) riveting the side skins and fitting the vertical stabiliser forward skin rib with nut plates. Fitted the FWD skin rib and the J-stiffener to the top skin. Got a visit from my AP and final riveting and closing up of cone may now proceed. :D Also fitted the trim servo tray and prepared various other parts for the trim.

Took the wing spars out of the box =P~ ........ Would really like some more build time.

Bennie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi all.

Cone riveting completed. This brings me to the end of the first kit. The fitting and trimmings of the tail will be put away till assembling the tail parts.

Hope to start with the wings asap.

Till next time

Bennie
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:28 am

Baie Baie Geluk!

PS: If you have the fuse kit is makes more sense to do it before the wings.The reason is you can join it to the flimsy tailcone and then it is easier to store all of that away in one go. Building the fuse kit also takes up less space than the wings kit.

Rudi
Amateur Kit Builder
WW1 Fokker E-III: viewtopic.php?f=324&t=190292
RV-7: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3239
RV-10: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48930
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks Rudie

You make me think...... :| However, I gave this a lot of thought. Unfortunately my work area has length but not width. I can hang the cone and have space for the wing construction and when they are done they can stand upright to one end and the side of the area, partially below the hanged cone. Enough space I recon for the fuse (in future) and enough space alongside to fit the cone when done with the fuse. Yes I remember from the visit to the Dream Team build the wings are bulky..... I may miss judge the spacial need.....

If I do the fuse first and fit the cone I will not be able in my view to hang the completed fuse & cone in order to have enough space for the wings. Keeping it on the ground, if fuse and cone is fitted, leaves not enough space for the wings. If that makes sence..... :?:

This holiday we are going away, for a bit of gliding and a bit of sea, so progress will not be great..... :(

Bennie
mauritz
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by mauritz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Bennie
Hoop daai riveter werk oortyd.
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Still kicking this side. Building on the RV dawdled though :(

To many things to little time!!!

Will try and post what has been done so far soon.

Bennie.
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 am

Good day RV Builders

Catching up: A couple of things took place since the cone was empennage was put away for the time being.
In Jan 2012, I took the wing spar crate of the rack where it was waiting. Opened up and started with first steps of wing section.

Check fitting the very first parts to the spar I noted spar damage. I missed this during part check when it arrived as the inspection was not that detail.

In summery the RV12 spar comes assembled to an advanced stage with most rib attach angles in place already, inside and outside the spar web for the forward and after ribs. The 2 most inboard attach angles of the left spar got bent – I named it Pig Ear bends. The spars were packed in the crate with flanges against each other protecting the particular attached angles, sitting inside the U’s of the spars. This was factory handling/packing damage not transport (more about this later). Photo A & B.

The second damaged issue was on the right spar at near outboard end. Photo C.

Something was dropped – with a concentrated force evident from 2 “punch” markings – on the spar flange resulting in the spar flange to bend as well as the web in the same area. Photo D & E. This is visible when cleco-ing the aft and fwd attach angles to the web – was not possible.

Again no sign of such damage was evident on the box and as the 2 spars were laying snug against each other the left did not experience the same damage. Again my opinion is the damage was caused during the factory handling/packing process.
Needles to say I was a bit negative about the situation. Fortunately loads of experience was a phone call away and I started consulting with the experienced builders and of course my AP. I also explained the scenario best possible to VANs. Thank you guys!! =D>

Everyone’s opinion was that the damage could be fixed by bend it back in place with no structural impact. Well this task was not a step in the highly detailed drawings. I did what I could on the spars, mainly limited to deburring and started procrastinating the fixing of the spars. Will keep you posted on the repair. However I moved on to other work in the mean time.

Till later.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Wow in 5 kits experience i never saw this, your luck must have been out.
Amateur Kit Builder
WW1 Fokker E-III: viewtopic.php?f=324&t=190292
RV-7: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3239
RV-10: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48930
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Wow in 5 kits experience i never saw this, your luck must have been out
Not so sure Rudi....
bennie
Lining Up

Unread post by bennie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Build report catching up continued…..

In April we continued. We, as I was joined by Elise and Philip still at school and student members at the Kranskop Gliding Club (Brits). They came for a bit of build experience and joined for a couple of evenings in the April holiday.

With the main spars left alone, we started with the section on the Rear Spar, Stub Spar and Hinge brackets (connecting to flaperons – later).

They assisted with the trimming, deburring, countersinking and prime preparing. They could read the drawings and they could do the work – pretty easy. Unfortunately they did not get to do the prime and riveting portion of the work.

So I ended up riveting (squeeze rivets mostly – the thick one’s) the Stub Spar and its doubler, the hinge bracket assembly that will fit to an after rib (later) and the rear spar and its doubler with hinge bracket.

Section 14 completed! (Photo quality not great)

Return to “Van's Aircraft”