Very stiff throttle control

The versatile 3-axis Microlight from Rainbow Aircraft, manufactured completetly in South Africa.

Moderator: Moderators

rod smith
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Very stiff throttle control

Unread post by rod smith » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:40 pm

I still haven't flown in our newly acquired Cheetah, but I have sat in it and "patted the aerie", as my wife likes to put it. The throttle control seems unduly stiff. I am assured by the previous owner that this is normal. Even Vladimir (sp??) seemed to think so. Does this present any difficulties in flight? This particular one is not only stiff, but also a bit sticky in places.

I notice in the very limited manual that there is a comment about a friction release mechanism, but I coudn't identify it when sitting in the left seat. Anybody able to help out?

Rod Smith
The Blacksmith
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Munster

Re: Very stiff throttle control

Unread post by The Blacksmith » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:34 pm

Rod,
Are you at some stage going to fly down to Margate in the Cheetah? Hope so. We will beable to do a nice coastal trip. I will have my Savannah completed soon. (SORRY TO MENTION SAVANNAH ON THIS THREAD)
Vernon.
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Rod - does yours have the new style rotating control or the old style sliding control?
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Stephan, we have the old ball type mechanism that slides backwards and forwards. I did try twisting it, but without knowing if that was what I was supposed to do to slacken off some of the tension or tightness. Possibly, once I have flown, I'll find it less of an issue. We are serial number CH 092, so are still comparatively new.

Anyone with something to add on this issue?

Rod Smith
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Also fly the old style control and if it ain't tight then it creeps. There is a clamp at the bottom that adjusts the friction that you can slacken off a bit.
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:18 am

Thanks, Stephan. I shall look for the clamp. Perhaps ours is fully tightened.

I did speak to Vladimir about this and he suggested that if we brought the aerie across to him one morning he would show us how to aleviate the issue with some sanding with some very fine paper. Obviously something only to be done under supervision!

Rod Smith
GERMAN
Radio Call
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by GERMAN » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Once you start flying you get used to it. It only feels sticky on the ground.Actually the ball is very comfortable to fly.
Hennie van Zyl

Unread post by Hennie van Zyl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:16 am

rod smith wrote:I still haven't flown in our newly acquired Cheetah, but I have sat in it and "patted the aerie", as my wife likes to put it. The throttle control seems unduly stiff. I am assured by the previous owner that this is normal. Even Vladimir (sp??) seemed to think so. Does this present any difficulties in flight? This particular one is not only stiff, but also a bit sticky in places.

I notice in the very limited manual that there is a comment about a friction release mechanism, but I coudn't identify it when sitting in the left seat. Anybody able to help out?

Rod Smith
Would disconnecting the pax throttle improve movement and would it be advisable?
George

Unread post by George » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:36 am

Fitted the T bars to the school aerie. makes a huge difference
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:21 pm

Hennie asks whether disconnecting the pax throttle would help. I don't know, but it means that when you are dual, the instructor then has no throttle. So I would tend to leave it connected. But a slight slackening of the clamp screw underneath the throttle control may be worth investigating.

Rod Smith

Return to “Cheetah”