Transponder

The versatile 3-axis Microlight from Rainbow Aircraft, manufactured completetly in South Africa.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Al
Engine Started
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Transponder

Unread post by Big Al » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:40 am

Hi

Is it worth fitting a transponder to my cheetah? If i dont have one how will this limit me when i go touring, also for places like Namibia, Moz etc.

Regards
Allan
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Transponder

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:46 am

Don't think it's an issue as far as touring is concerened but It's probably a good to have in any case specially if you are flying into/from controlled fields with a flight plan.
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:45 pm

If it is not too big a cash issue, do it. It opens other horizons. You can fly higher; you only have to drop to 7 500 ft, for example, when returning to Gauteng from the coast. You can file a flight plan and not have to fly below the JHB TMA. Controlled airspace is no longer verboten. But if you intend only to fly om die dam (as per me and the Cheetah) it would be a waste of money.

Rod Smith
George

Unread post by George » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Spend the cash on a better radio or IPOD. You do not need a transponder.

I have flown all over the country with and without a transponder. Due to IF separation issues more often than not ATC can't assist with entrance into holy grail (TMA) even if they wanted to. Flying under TMA in PE is exception I am told? Never had a problem there without a transponder, but have not been through there for a couple years and I always fone ahead to give them sufficient time to panic for my impending "invasion".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rod
rod smith wrote:If it is not too big a cash issue, do it. It opens other horizons. You can fly higher;
with ot without trandsponder IIRC you can go to FL195 (good luck in cheetah :lol: :lol: :lol: ) I used to go to FL145 regularly in the ALBAT (incl. when the transponder was out of the plane for repairs). No problems there?

Anyone can fly upto 7500 under the TMA? Don't follow this comment?
rod smith wrote: you only have to drop to 7 500 ft, for example, when returning to Gauteng from the coast.
I file flight plans all the time and they have yet to be able to accomodate we in Jhb TMA. I assume Cheetah would be even harder and costs hardly justify it IMHO.
rod smith wrote:
You can file a flight plan and not have to fly below the JHB TMA. Controlled airspace is no longer verboten. But if you intend only to fly om die dam (as per me and the Cheetah) it would be a waste of money.
Height is also a problem. I doubt you be flying at FL120 and above in in the wide open spaces (Nam and Moz) rydaar coverage is dismal at lower levels. On many of the flights when I route out towards the low coverage areas (mainly between Jhb and Upington) I don't even get a squawk code. I assume this is because they can't see me?

I have flown into all of the major airports in SA without a transponder. Regularly into FABL and FAKM. I would rather spend the cash on Bose headsets or a good quality radio.... 15 hr trip from Saldana (sp?)to Bapsfontein in a bush baby. Routed through military space, under 3 TMA's and into 2 controlled airports. No issues other than crappy radio which caused higher than required stress levels while trying to avoid AMS PCXII and then later the De Beers Jet....

just my 2c...

PS
ATC would like you to have a transponder but it def fits into the nice to have category.... and would be waaaay down on my shopping list.
Big Al
Engine Started

Unread post by Big Al » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:03 am

Thanks George

Ja, until ATC get very pushy and insist, i think i will just ensure my radio comms are sharp and my garmap keeps me out of troublesome airspace.

Allan
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Rv4ker, Right on every score! It just shows how force of habit becomes one's concept of the norm. For example: Because I am usually flying on an IF plan and being sent straight up into the TMA, I am taking it for granted in my mind that this will be the same each time I file a plan. Not so. VFR I am probably going to have to go all the way from Lanseria to Vaal Dam (edge of TMA) before I can start my climb when routing to the coast. This is approx. 50nm from FALA, so I tend to file IF on all such flights.

Thanks for blowing the cobwebs away.

Rod Smith

Return to “Cheetah”