So.........Mr rod Smith .........?

The versatile 3-axis Microlight from Rainbow Aircraft, manufactured completetly in South Africa.

Moderator: Moderators

Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 148 times

So.........Mr rod Smith .........?

Unread post by Whirly » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Why did you buy a Cheetha? Tell us please! :D

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
rod smith
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: So.........Mr rod Smith .........?

Unread post by rod smith » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 pm

To answer Whirly
Why did I buy a Cheetah?

Hi Whirly

Not a long story! I haven't sold my share in the Mooney, or anything drastic like that. The share in the Cheetah is simply an attempt to create the opportunity for some cheap flying. I simply cannot afford to pull the Mooney out of the hangar to fly for fun. For cross country commuting there is little better to beat it for speed and budget. (I now need to sell a share in the Mooney to pay for my share in the Cheetah, albeit that I will have some change left over, as I am a half share owner now in the Mooney and the hangarage and insurance costs need alleviating.)

To get back to the Cheetah. I need to be in the air more often. I need to fly. But why a Cheetah? No special preferences over any other aerie that would allow the mission purpose, except that for under R300 000 we bought a nice, clean a/c that is only fourteen months old and that has only seventy-five hours total time. When I take my share of hangar and insurance and an hour's flying I come out at about the cost of an hour in the Mooney. The next hour is the cheap one. (So I can't really offer an opinion at this stage on the merits of the Cheetah v. any other LSA type.)

Cheers

Rod Smith

PS
Still chuckling at "Mr rod Smith"
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:42 am

Well I could always say Mrs rod Smith! :lol:

What engine does yours have?

Whirly.
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:58 pm

582, Whirly

But then I am not trying to go anywhere fast.(For that I 'll use the Mooney.) I have now flown it. It gets off the ground quickly and certainly flies like a dream. I, however, was not flying it like a dream. The adverse aileron yaw had me going. My feet were not in charge. I shall see what the next lesson brings.

Rod Smith
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:49 am

rod smith wrote:582, Whirly

But then I am not trying to go anywhere fast.(For that I 'll use the Mooney.) I have now flown it. It gets off the ground quickly and certainly flies like a dream. I, however, was not flying it like a dream. The adverse aileron yaw had me going. My feet were not in charge. I shall see what the next lesson brings.

Rod Smith
Thanks rod! :D So I take it that it would perform even better with the 80hp Jabiru engine or does the 2 stroke give better performance?

Whirly.
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:27 am

I suspect that the 582 might be very much like the 80hp jabi - because of the gearbox you can swing a bigger prop and I think that makes it close to what the jabi is like with the smaller prop.
Don't worry too much about the yaw - it will come right with a bit of time. The feet will wake up soon enough. The first ten or so hours I was chasing that ball all over the sky. SO I was doing the following excersise and it sorted it out. Pick a point on the horizon put the nose on it and roll it left,right,left,right,left,right while keeping the nose centered. Feet gets the idea very quickly otherwise you hurl your lungs out.
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:59 am

Whirly, Steph has done the reaearch; I am clueless about the other options.

Steph, Thanks. I use that exercise in the Mooney whenever I am alone in straight and level flight. I tried it briefly in the Cheetah and that part was fine. I am just not used to seeing the nose swing up and left so vigorously when I apply right aileron. Will get there soon, no doubt, with good instructor. Lead with the rudder and then apply aileron.

Rod Smith
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Yup - that is the trick to it. Start with the rudder and then add the aileron. After a while it comes naturally. You're probably going to then have a problem with the mooney :-)
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 309 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Stephan van Tonder wrote:Yup - that is the trick to it. Start with the rudder and then add the aileron. After a while it comes naturally. You're probably going to then have a problem with the mooney :-)
No way, the Mooney will feel caressed instead of being flown :D
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!

Return to “Cheetah”