PPL type conversion to Cheetah

The versatile 3-axis Microlight from Rainbow Aircraft, manufactured completetly in South Africa.

Moderator: Moderators

rod smith
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

PPL type conversion to Cheetah

Unread post by rod smith » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:54 pm

I have spent the last two weeks worrying about how to do my type conversion to the Cheetah on my PPL. I have been under the impression that I cannot do this with an appropriately rated MPL instructor and that it had to be done with a PPL rated instructor who is at least a Grade two. At the field where the Cheetah is based there are no appropriately rated PPL instructors, but there are some very able MPL fellows.

Imagine my surprise tonight , when I checked out my post on the CAA forum, where I had asked if my view on matters was correct, only to receive the answer from Mary S. that I can do the type conversion for PPL purpose with either a PPL Grade 11 instructor (or higher) or with a Grade A or B MPL instructor.

Thank you CAA. A sensible approach to the matter. Thank you also to Mary for doing the work and coming up with the answer.

Rod Smith
Flybynite
Power on stall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Re: PPL type conversion to Cheetah

Unread post by Flybynite » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:33 am

Great news Rod,

My son recently completed his ppl on a Cessna and I was battling to find a ppl instructor to do a conversion on our Cheetah. Ido however know many good mpl grade A or B instuctors. Will make a plan soon.

Rod I am not sure but the way I understand it is that you can log ppl hours on your Cheetah on a one to one hour basis if you fly it in the lsa/ppl category using the icao code x254. If yo do fly it as a ccm then you use the codez193 and only log 50%. (stephan - please help!!!)

Kind Regards

Larry
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Find out what the PPL rated code is for the cheetah(factory will also know) and log your hours under that as 1:1. No need to use the z194 microlight code.
Big Al
Engine Started

Unread post by Big Al » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:52 am

X254
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:52 am

Morning Guys

I thought that the x and y codes were being done away with and were being replaced with the LSA, CCM, WCM and GYR descriptors. (Is this still to be enacted?)

What does "ICAO ULAC" represent. This is what appears when one looks up this particular Cheetah in the South African Aircraft Register.

Rod Smith
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:57 am

ICAO you will know ULAC is ultralight aircraft.
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:01 pm

Goddi! Thanks!
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Meant to read 'Goddit!' ("Comprehendo" or words to that effect. #-o )

Return to “Cheetah”