Weight and balance

The versatile 3-axis Microlight from Rainbow Aircraft, manufactured completetly in South Africa.

Moderator: Moderators

rod smith
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Weight and balance

Unread post by rod smith » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:56 am

In the face of our having virtually nothing on weight and balance material in the Cheetah manual that came with the fourteen month old aircraft, I raised the topic in a different post. Two good suggestions were made, one that I approach the factory for whatever they have on record when the a/c was first sold, and the other that I approach CAA for a copy of their file records.

Before I do this, is there any Cheetah owner out there who actually has such documents?
How specific are they? Is there a C of G envelope/graph supplied? Are there any moment arms listed? Is the weight of the aerie actually listed, as supplied? Or is all this simply something that does not apply to CCM aircraft?

Thanks guys.

Rod Smith
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Weight and balance

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:39 pm

Rod - I have yet to see a weight and balance sheet myself but Vladimir tells you that it has the widest range of CG of any of those class airplanes. What it is I don't know. I think becuase you can always only load two pax basically right on the cg you have to do something really stupid like load an engine block behind the fuel tank to upset it to the point where it is out of spec. But the best will be to get it from the factory.
George

Unread post by George » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:32 pm

W&B in my Cheetah official manual is blank. Wonder how the guys get a ATF?
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Stephan van Tonder wrote:Rod - I have yet to see a weight and balance sheet myself but Vladimir tells you that it has the widest range of CG of any of those class airplanes. What it is I don't know. I think becuase you can always only load two pax basically right on the cg you have to do something really stupid like load an engine block behind the fuel tank to upset it to the point where it is out of spec. But the best will be to get it from the factory.

Remember W&B is not only for aerodynamics also Structural. Cessna, Piper, Beech ect will tell you how much you can load per sq inch
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.travelairva.com
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:59 pm

My concern here is not that I will do anything stupid. I accept that the Cheetah has a wide envelope and that it would be difficult to load beyond it. The operators' manual does mention the max. weight for the luggage space behind the seats at 20kg. Then we have the optional additional baggage compartments BEHIND the tank, with no reference to what they can carry. (So I guess that you can perhaps see my reasons for raising the issue.)

More importantly, though, I simply wish to be legal and to be able to handle the ramp inspection police if they ever descend on me. As I understand it, I am in cr@p at present because I have nothing in the a/c docs about weight and balance. (Hence my asking if LSA or CCM aircraft also have to comply with the W@B requirements.) The Authority to Fly is another issue altogether.

It looks like there is no W@B documentation applicable to Cheetahs. Have I got this wrong? Are all Cheetahs out there flying without such and presumably legally?

Rod Smith
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:28 am

Send me your e-mail address to stephan.vantonder@macsteel.co.za and I will forward you the mass and balance figures for a cheetah plus a handy calculator.
:-)
Got it within 10 minutes of sending a mail to the factory.
Hee haa. it DOES have a massive C of G range :shock:
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:28 pm

Great stuff, Stephan

hpsmith123@yahoo.com

We are a 582, but I am sure that that will be covered.

Rod Smith
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks, Gentlemen, for all the advice above. We now have what we need about W@B to survive the Ramp Inspectors should they descend on us. Rainbow was helpful and supplied info immediately. The downloads above are all anyone needs, I would imagine.

Rod Smith

Return to “Cheetah”