Finally got there -type conversion done

The versatile 3-axis Microlight from Rainbow Aircraft, manufactured completetly in South Africa.

Moderator: Moderators

rod smith
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Finally got there -type conversion done

Unread post by rod smith » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:09 am

I was surprised by how long it took me to learn to manage the Cheetah. My old habits and lazy feet took a lot of un-learning. I am sure also that I have leart a few other skills that will help in my other flying as well. I would initially have estimated a maximum of four hours. It took eight. Granted, we had reasonably heavy cross-winds on almost every day that I went out. With about five hours in the Cheetah equal to about onre hour in the Mooney, from a cost perspective, I am hoping to do a bit more flying this year. Thanks to all those who have offered advice and support on this forum.

Rod Smith
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Finally got there -type conversion done

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Congratulations - enjoy and have some safe flying. Now that you managed how do you enjoy flying her?
johnsa
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by johnsa » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Congratulations Rod :!:
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Thanks guys, Super to fly. She is fun. She is easy to move in and out of the hangar. Taxiing presents no problems except for the lack of inertia and the need to "use" the throttle. I have still not flown away from base and that will come next. But in the circuit and the GFA she is a delight.

Rod smith
George

Unread post by George » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Congrats. Enjoy the Om die dammer.

Rydaar feet will get a workout, but watch next time you are in Mooney. You will wonder what to do with them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS
8 hrs is not alot considering you coming from "big Iron". Many take significantly longer. I battled like hell to get the flair right :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: but was during patter training and I was sitting on "wrong side" - THAT MY STORY AND I STICKIN TO IT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 119 times

Unread post by GL » Fri May 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Congrats Rod

it took me about 10 hours as well to learn to fly a X-Air - (but then i was not flying bliks either at the time.)

I stopped flying them because i couldn't get used to a dentist's drill 2-stroke thrashing away at 5000 rpm and working so hard.
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch

Return to “Cheetah”