Something must be said

The versatile 3-axis Microlight from Rainbow Aircraft, manufactured completetly in South Africa.

Moderator: Moderators

stefan
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FARA
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Something must be said

Unread post by stefan » Thu May 27, 2010 8:25 pm

What about a BushBaby explorer or safari?
Hi Guys, did not want to comment on any of this as I also ocassionally fly a cheetah for renewals etc and think it's ok BUT since the names came up please refer to this link for more correct and up to date details on them http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewforum.php?f=29 or viewtopic.php?f=75&t=61865
Regards
Stefan
912s
Pre-take off checks
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by 912s » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi all you Cheetah fanatics my first plane was a green and black Cheetah reg ZU-EHY and I still miss her today so much so that I am thinking of buying another one. I did 155 hrs in one year of ownership and loved every minute. Mine was the first one with the ventral fin so can't comment on the merits of the mod. I never had any real complaints about her except the brakes which were really piss poor. I went from the Cheetah to a Yak 18T which was a serious jump which I would never advise any low time pilot to do and I now fly an RV7 on which I have also done 150 hrs in one year. Funny thing is there is a Cheetah in the hanger with my RV and so often when I go fly I look at this Cheetah with envy. Should I buy another one it will have to be a t.d. cos I love them, they also look better as taildraggers.
Stephen
John Boucher
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Mossel Bay - FAMO
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by John Boucher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 pm

It is an awesome aerie with a high rated cross wind component which by the way it handles very well! Mine (ZU-CXO Ch. 018) has been on the ground for sometime but will be frequenting the skies in Mossel Bay sooner than later.... Just need a hangar here!

Would be an amazing craft with a Jab3300 upfront!
My apologies if my spellchecker or grammatical error checker lets me down - no one is perfect!
Hennie van Zyl

Unread post by Hennie van Zyl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:50 pm

John Boucher wrote:It is an awesome aerie with a high rated cross wind component which by the way it handles very well! Mine (ZU-CXO Ch. 018) has been on the ground for sometime but will be frequenting the skies in Mossel Bay sooner than later.... Just need a hangar here!

Would be an amazing craft with a Jab3300 upfront!

All New Cheetah's will be powered by Jab 3300 with folding wings.
John Boucher
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by John Boucher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:23 pm

When is this to happen?
My apologies if my spellchecker or grammatical error checker lets me down - no one is perfect!
African Grey

Unread post by African Grey » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:13 pm

If anybody wants an intro on a Cheetah, no matter what the conditions, it will truly amaze you.....you are welcome to call me.

I collected a 912s Cheetah for student from Springs about 3 weeks ago. The wind was 34 knts gusting 40 knts at Rand and was close to 90 degree crosswind at Circus Airfield. The A/C was "busy" on the landing but very safe......that's what the huge rudder surface is for. The Cheetah prefers nose into the wind and wings level on approach (with a notch of flap - flys better in strong wind) and big stomp of rudder just before touch down.

In heavy wind, I agree with a previous post, the fabric absorbs the bumps and the frame flexes too. The best speed in these conditions is around 80mph, the dihedral also does a good job for you in keeping the wings level.

Returned from the Virginia Airshow last weekend....at the coast, the 912s Cheetah will cruise at 100mph and fly to 120mph and beyond (straight and level). We cruised back at a very comfortable 95mph at 5000rpm. It has a nice Kiev Prop

Rgds
Russell
Hennie van Zyl

Unread post by Hennie van Zyl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 am

African Grey wrote:If anybody wants an intro on a Cheetah, no matter what the conditions, it will truly amaze you.....you are welcome to call me.

I collected a 912s Cheetah for student from Springs about 3 weeks ago. The wind was 34 knts gusting 40 knts at Rand and was close to 90 degree crosswind at Circus Airfield. The A/C was "busy" on the landing but very safe......that's what the huge rudder surface is for. The Cheetah prefers nose into the wind and wings level on approach (with a notch of flap - flys better in strong wind) and big stomp of rudder just before touch down.

In heavy wind, I agree with a previous post, the fabric absorbs the bumps and the frame flexes too. The best speed in these conditions is around 80mph, the dihedral also does a good job for you in keeping the wings level.

Returned from the Virginia Airshow last weekend....at the coast, the 912s Cheetah will cruise at 100mph and fly to 120mph and beyond (straight and level). We cruised back at a very comfortable 95mph at 5000rpm. It has a nice Kiev Prop

Rgds
Russell
HI RUSSEL!

WHAT A POSITIVE POSTING! HOW DOES THE CHEETAH COMPARE WITH JABI IN WINDY CONDITIONS? =D> =D> =D>
Hennie van Zyl

Unread post by Hennie van Zyl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:35 am

Something nice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Boucher
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by John Boucher » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:06 am

Hennie...

Re. the comparison of a Jabi with Cheetah in cross-wind conditions......

Firstly the CWC of a Jabi is 14kts and the Cheetah 25kts. This already says something. The JAB becomes a very hands-on aircraft in these conditions and if not flown to the numbers can get you into trouble. I think many JAB incidents are a result of "loss of directional control" due to this and not having enough rudder authority at the end. Another possible problem is when landing, keeping left hand on throttle, right hand on stick, which hand do you use to brake? The tendencey is to leave the stick (a serious no-no in cross winds) and apply breaks. Carrying to much speed and the wing not into the wind causes serious k@k!

As Russ has indicated with his experience, I too have had the same sort of experience in my aircraft. His description of what to do is spot on. The only problem I experienced was not having enough forward penetration but that is due to having a 582 upfront.

So... I much rather be in a Cheetah than a Jab with serious cross winds..... however I'd much rather own a J430 for my application!
Sideslip
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Springs
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by Sideslip » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:27 am

Sorry for digging up old threads ...

I would just like to invite anyone who is interested around to our hangers to see what we are up to.

Always an exciting project or 2 going on there. Come see what we are up to and have a cuppa at the same time.
Mike Gill
John Boucher
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by John Boucher » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 am

Hey Mike... some of us live in paradise and can't just pop in ;-)

PM me... JB
johanp
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: FAFK
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by johanp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 am

Sideslip wrote:Sorry for digging up old threads ...

I would just like to invite anyone who is interested around to our hangers to see what we are up to.

Always an exciting project or 2 going on there. Come see what we are up to and have a cuppa at the same time.
Hi Mike, thanks for the invite! Whereabouts are your hangars? If they're in or near Cape Town I'll pop in this weekend.
Johan
John Boucher
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by John Boucher » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:05 am

Springs dear sir... ;-)
johanp
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: FAFK
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by johanp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:29 am

Ah - dang, that's going to be hard to reach :(

Any cheetahs flying from Cape Town surrounds? I'll also be traipsing around OR Thambo and Lanseria next week for business.
Johan
John Boucher
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by John Boucher » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 am

But if you are going to be in that vicinity then... pop around to Springs!

Return to “Cheetah”