WHISPER AIRCRAFT ANNOUNCEMENT - 2012 AND BEYOND

The ultimate in personalized, recreational aviation ccovering both the Whisper motor glider and the Whisper Express.

Moderator: Moderators

whisper
Steep Turn Left
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

WHISPER AIRCRAFT ANNOUNCEMENT - 2012 AND BEYOND

Unread post by whisper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:41 pm

WHISPER AIRCRAFT – 2012 AND BEYOND
History
I started Whisper Aircraft in 2002 with one goal in mind, namely to develop a homebuilt 2 seat motorglider that the average salaried person could afford to build, own and operate. At that time motorgliders were typically all expensive imported certified machines far out of the reach of the average person. The design was tailored to suit the kind of facilities and materials likely to be readily available to the homebuilder. The bulk of my early customers chose to create their whispers this way and many of these are flying and giving their owners the satisfaction that I had envisaged. Some builders have reported spending less that 180k to get airborne. I have gained immense personal satisfaction from the positive association that has developed between myself and many satisfied, appreciative customers.
Slowly but surely I started to receive more and more queries from people wanting “fly away” aircraft. Initially I simply told them I could not assist them but eventually succumbed and and a few finished aircraft were built under an arrangement with Jabiru in George. All of this was in contradiction of my goals at the outset. The type of customer wanting this option typically sees the NTCA amateur built category as a cheap way of getting hold of an aeroplane (as opposed to the TC route). He typically has no interest in building an aeroplane and also little interest in maintaining it. To accommodate this type of customer I had the design certified by the SACAA and also established an approved manufacturing facility. The stress and expense of establishing and maintaining all of this can never be repaid by the few additional sales that resulted.

2012 and beyond
I have decided to revert the focus of Whisper Aircraft back to the homebuilder. I will be introducing two new options in addition to the existing basic and fast build options;
a) Builder assist – I will be offering a “hands on” training course on composites after which you will manufacture your own composite components in my moulds (under supervision). Apart from saving you a lot of money it will also allow one to have the satisfaction of having built every part of the aircraft yourself. The aircraft can then be judged (at EAA conventions etc) as “scratch built” or “plans built”.
b) Plans built – For homebuilders not able to travel to Port Elizabeth or for whom the shipping cost of getting the parts back home is prohibitive will be able to build the aircraft using mould-less techniques. I am busy with amendments to the manuals to allow for this.

For those builders wanting basic kits I will be doing these in batches and using various subcontractors on a tender basis. By not having to maintain permanent infrastructure I should be able to keep the costs down and maintain viability at an affordable selling price.

The fast build option will still be available by arrangement.

For those other customers who do not wish to get their hands dirty at all and who insist on a fly away aircraft there will always be the “third party assemblers” who make a living out of assembling “homebuilt” aircraft for others. As before, I will never be involved in these arrangements. My advice to these customers however is to rather purchase a TC aircraft or an LSA. The rules and regulations associated with these categories will better protect you from the dangers that may exist as a result of your personal lack of knowledge of your “homebuilt” aircraft.

Whisper X
The Whisper X prototype development continues and the prototype should fly soon. Once it is ready the design will be offered to the homebuilder in the same way as that described above for the motorgliders.

Details
-The full details of the new structure and options will be made available via a new look pricelist which I will launch on the website in the near future. Please keep an eye on the website.
-Spare parts (composite) and all other non composite components will continue to be available ex my Port Elizabeth workshop. Large stock on hand.
-As from 25 January 2012 Whisper Aircraft no longer has a base at Paradise Beach.I would like to thank Stewart Clegg (sub contractor who occupied the hangar next to the Whisper hangar) for all the effort he has put into manufacturing high quality parts for the Whisper kits since 2003. Stewart will remain on the top of the list of subcontractors and hopefully will be able to still build some parts for us provided that he has capacity and logistics allow.

Here’s to getting many more “normal” folk airborne in aircraft that they built with their own hands. It is a fantastic pastime which since 1983 has given me immense personal satisfaction! :D

Russell Phillips
Last edited by whisper on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whisper
Steep Turn Left

Re: WHISPER AIRCRAFT ANNOUNCEMENT - 2012 AND BEYOND

Unread post by whisper » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:07 am

Since the announcement (above) I have had an encouraging response particularly for Whisper X basic packages. Only once the Whisper X flight testing is well underway will I take firm orders for these. In the interim I am compiling a waiting list. No payment or obligation is needed to get onto the waiting list. Just send me your details and once I am ready to take orders I'll contact you.
Take off Clearance
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by newbie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:25 pm

I will try my best to make a turn on Saturday when you will be "showing off" your new plane at Algoa Flying Club. I did see you doing some flying with the plane on Sunday at FAUH, I must say it does look awesome.
Any idea of price for the kits yet or not, also can a person with absolutely no composite skill build one of these babies?

Nice plane and congrats, you deserve all the fruits that youwill reap from this effort.
In a calm sea every man is a pilot — John Ray, English Proverbs, 1670.
PPL(A) 13/01/2015
PPL(H) 17/12/2018
whisper
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by whisper » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 am

thx Newbie!
Yes you certainly can learn the skills necessary with minimal effort. There are a few golden rules regarding bonding, peel ply, moisture etc. If you stick to those the rest is actually very simple. It is a wonderful medium to work with and allows much more creativity and freedom than any of the other building mediums. The first basic kit leaves our new premises tomorrow followed by 3 others which are currently in the making. I will announce a "special" deal on the first 10 kits tomorrow at AFC. Hope to see you there!

Return to “Whisper Aircraft”