The Rands Outlook in 2018

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

Barros
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:24 pm
Closest Airfield: Earls Colne
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The Rands Outlook in 2018

Unread post by Barros » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:49 am

Whats the Rands outlook for 2018
Last edited by Barros on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ehs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: "Scruffsville", Deep South
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by ehs » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:15 pm

@Barros - that sounds like a doom guy prediction - not saying you're wrong - you might be right - but historically very few doom guy stories ever come to pass - thankfully :smt045
Eddie Haynes-Smart
ESTLEC
Take off Clearance
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:09 pm
Location: JHB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by ESTLEC » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Start Gliding
TAKE OFF IS OPTIONAL ?
Barros
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:24 pm
Closest Airfield: Earls Colne
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by Barros » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:26 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Barros on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
lion
Engine Run ups
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:42 am
Closest Airfield: Edge of the water
Location: In the front seat
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by lion » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Actually it is a strong US Dollar mostly, not so much Zuma and co...most currencies have weakened against the USD. I think that the USD will continue its strength so expect a weaker Rand after all..
User avatar
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:29 pm

The rand was last at these levels in 2002-2003,

Guess what happened then ? It strengthened! :lol: :lol:
Se we are back where we were 12 years ago.

As lion said it is a strong dollar more than anything else.
Two years ago I paid R12.20 for a Euro - now 12.98.

Anyone that predicts where it will be next year will be wrong.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
ehs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: "Scruffsville", Deep South
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by ehs » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Iceberg wrote: Anyone that predicts where it will be next year will be wrong.
Anyone who can predict anything accurately about currencies in any timeframe at all is already, or will soon be, the world's richest person. :smt045
Eddie Haynes-Smart
User avatar
Great Dane
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1943
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:37 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Location: Pretoria - 4km NE of FAWK
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by Great Dane » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Iceberg wrote:Two years ago I paid R12.20 for a Euro - now 12.98.
And last year September I could have 15 of them ZAR for a Euro, now it is 13 on a good day 8-[
Helihead
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:59 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by Helihead » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Barros, you are obviously going to be rich enough to fly because you can predict this... so why so sad :?:

You are also assuming that everyone who flies makes Rand only, and has no link to the outside world whatsoever... forex trading is a narrow minded pastime IMHO... seems to ignore the rest of the market in terms of exports, competitiveness, and and and... do you use charts only :?:
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10049
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 296 times

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by cage » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:33 pm

What's with this focus on the death of GA? Seems to provide some a twisted sense of pleasure..
User avatar
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 am
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Location: iKhaya mina 22N114E
Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by ACE MAN » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Even aviators in zim still seem to get their fix - and these guys are not rolling in it. Ask yourself if you are in it for the aviation or for the business. SA has had a healthy GA and is and will be still more affordable than many other options - unless you can enlighten me where it will be cheaper in 2016 (except the states)
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
User avatar
martin.bevelander
Engine full power confirmed
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:03 pm
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp
Location: krugersdorp
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by martin.bevelander » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:11 pm

Barros.....you are right IMHO........
only the naïve will think SA will keep up to the rest of the world......
we are the next zim.....fact
its not in the SA economy's interest to have a strong Rand
the mines will close.....all of them should the Rand go to 6 or 8 Rand to the dollar.....
exports will cease.
unemployment will skyrocket
inflation will simply go mad.
export revenue vs export income will go completely skew.......resulting in serious unemployment.
A week Rand is in the interest of the economy......
It will marginalize the rich....keep the poor employed
if you haven't seen enough reason to take your money off shore you don't understand......Why did Mr Shuttleworth take it all out....?
Food for thought.....
Unless your income and free cash grows at the same rate as the rand devalues over time you are on the loosing side......
working class man is caught and will just become poorer.....
Fact
I stop here.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:33 am
Location: Somerset West
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by rainier » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:16 pm

ACE MAN wrote:Even aviators in zim still seem to get their fix - and these guys are not rolling in it. Ask yourself if you are in it for the aviation or for the business. SA has had a healthy GA and is and will be still more affordable than many other options - unless you can enlighten me where it will be cheaper in 2016 (except the states)
States is still good but it's no longer cheap either - even if you are earning USD. Cost of living in that place has risen rather a lot lately and is eating into disposable income. What they do have in their favour is a largely understanding FAA. That is highly relevant.

Yes, GA is not going away - it will, has been and is simply morphing in various ways. It is getting less though. That is troublesome and not a good sign.

Yes, it is still relatively cheap and relatively easy when compared to most countries and I hope it will stay that way for a long time.
It's pilots that own aircraft that make GA (we are talking the private variety here and for sake of keeping things simple exclude commercial GA).
As long as we have those and keep making new ones to replace those that leave all is well. Simple. To make that possible it requires both available money and a supportive regulator.

I once was a proud owner of a 50 cent piece. That was in 1965'ish. I could buy all the sweets I could stomach with that. You'd probably need 100 Rands to do the same now. But guess what - I can still buy myself some sweets.

Things work out. Stay bright and positive and it will not look that bad. You are in control of your future and wellbeing more than you may think. SA is a lekker place. Still is. You can do stuff. Easier than almost anywhere.

Rainier
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
Helihead
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:59 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by Helihead » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:16 pm

:lol: MARTIN......

I love how loosely you use "FACT"

Shuttleworth may not have been wrong thus far, granted but just because he made millions in an IT venture doesnt make him an emerging markets guru.

The only FACT in your statement was that you "stopped here"...
Eddybear
ATC Delay
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:35 am
Closest Airfield: Kitty Hawk
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: THE RAND DOLLAR AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GA THE DEATH KNO

Unread post by Eddybear » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:28 pm

ehs wrote:
Iceberg wrote: Anyone that predicts where it will be next year will be wrong.
Anyone who can predict anything accurately about currencies in any timeframe at all is already, or will soon be, the world's richest person. :smt045
It will definitely go up, and then it will go down, but not necessarily in that order.

Return to “123.45”