cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by cage » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:27 am

Circle of life. Where anyone has a monopoly that they take advantage of by providing poor service at elevated pricing, sooner or later technology arrives that changes the landscape almost overnight.
Taxi drivers were the same, then along came uber, taxify etc.
Do they try compete? Improve? Nope that would take effort, they all just whine to regulators and moan it is unfair, yet their dominance wasn't unfair to other small players.
Tough titty dstv. Been free of them for quite some time now, as I am now also free of telkom.
Hakuna mutata.
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Christo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:53 pm

https://www.mactrast.com/2018/07/the-co ... every-day/

It continues. Would love to know the dstv numbers
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by cage » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:07 pm

The genie is out the bottle.
The landscape was owned by the people that could get the content to you, adding little value.
It is now owned by content makers which is why Netflix, Hulu, amazon etc have worked hard to create original content and tie up rights from traditional channels.
This leaves companies like multi choice with their thumb up their jacksie wondering where everyone went.
They add no value, waste large sums producing expensive, but weak, copies of overseas franchises, not to mention subsidising content and services for consumption further north in Africa.
As more people get cost effective, high-speed internet, the drain will continue leaving more rural, lower income customers for traditional services.
They will need to revisit their strategy to compete.
On-demand, pay as you go sport may be a good place to start but that would probably wipe out their declining premium subscriber base.
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Christo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 am

The ratio with Netflix and Showmax on my network. It's only accessible at 8PM - 6AM each day and all of the weekend. This was last nights usage. Added Youtube for the same period
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by SlowApproach » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:32 am

After fibre finally "arrived' in my neck of the woods, have been running for a week on uncapped fibre... and it's oh so absolutely shweeeet! Apart from it's primary purpose (work, eisch :lol:) been binge-watching movies, series & whatnots (from anyone EXCEPT NoChoice :smt019) and it's also been an absolute pleasure (without all the buffering previously suffered) to be able to pick & choose what to watch - and without a single !#&%! annoying advert or repeat of a repeated repeat in sight.

The family hasn't even touched DStv - and the best part is - no-one missed it! Not one little bit. So I'm about to join the league of "cord-cutters"...
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Christo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:57 pm

SlowApproach wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:32 am
After fibre finally "arrived' in my neck of the woods, have been running for a week on uncapped fibre... and it's oh so absolutely shweeeet! Apart from it's primary purpose (work, eisch :lol:) been binge-watching movies, series & whatnots (from anyone EXCEPT NoChoice :smt019) and it's also been an absolute pleasure (without all the buffering previously suffered) to be able to pick & choose what to watch - and without a single !#&%! annoying advert or repeat of a repeated repeat in sight.

The family hasn't even touched DStv - and the best part is - no-one missed it! Not one little bit. So I'm about to join the league of "cord-cutters"...
Same. Using fiber for a month now. Absolutely wonderful. No more buffering on Netflix watching 2 1080 streams simultaneously

SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH and Morningstar
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by SaraLima » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:39 pm

SlowApproach wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:32 am
So I'm about to join the league of "cord-cutters"...
The smartest move you'll ever make. - I cut cords 4 years ago and thanks to Netflix, Kodi and Pluto, have enjoyed full HD TV with great viewing selections, no repeats and all it costs is R 699 per month. (Total Internet line costs incl data)

Best of all is that I get to choose what I watch, when I watch it. :smt023 :smt045
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
I was flying in uniform when you were still in liquid form :wink:
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Roger » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:11 am

With the amount of users now only making use of streaming services, when would it be appropriate to lobby the lawmakers to allow the removal of tuners from TV Panels and hence forego the TV licence requirement when purchasing new?
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Jason
Paying Landing Fees
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Jason » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:25 am

I just signed up for netflix SA for R169pm, running this in parrallel to dstv for a month or so and already the content on netflix is far superior to dstv.

There is so many netflix original movies and shows i wont have the time to watch them all, i can only imgaine the US content.

So far i am happy with netflix, yes i have to include the fiber costs but i would have this anyway for browsing, software upgrades, youtube etc.

The only issue is live sport but i will go visit a pub or two :)
Zoom Aviation Photography - http://www.zoompixs.co.za
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Christo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:01 am

=D> =D> =D>

cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by cage » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 am

I'm watching the US open via amazon prime at the moment. They also have some football matches now, they will be adding more sport in the future.
Jason
Paying Landing Fees
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Jason » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:16 am

cage wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 am
I'm watching the US open via amazon prime at the moment. They also have some football matches now, they will be adding more sport in the future.
I might sign up with them as well, even with amazon prime am sure its probably only a third of dstv`s R899 pm. I am just using my smart TV apps and so far works fairly well =D> =D>
Zoom Aviation Photography - http://www.zoompixs.co.za
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by heinrich » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:55 pm

My eyes are watering at the prices for these services in SA. :shock: :shock: dstv R899 [-(

Interesting to compare :

netflix == £8 p/m (2 devices streaming HD simultaneously)
amazon prime == £79 for a year, which includes free next day delivery on most online shopping, free Amazon music streaming and of course prime video.
interwebs == £32 p/m for an uncapped ±40Mb line.

I've not really had sky (dstv) here in the UK much but I think they're also getting a beating by streaming services like the above. But they are catching up and have most broadcasting rights for the huge footie market, so some still keep it just for that I guess.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by cage » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:58 pm

heinrich wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:55 pm
My eyes are watering at the prices for these services in SA. :shock: :shock: dstv R899 [-(

Interesting to compare :

netflix == £8 p/m (2 devices streaming HD simultaneously)
amazon prime == £79 for a year, which includes free next day delivery on most online shopping, free Amazon music streaming and of course prime video.
interwebs == £32 p/m for an uncapped ±40Mb line.

I've not really had sky (dstv) here in the UK much but I think they're also getting a beating by streaming services like the above. But they are catching up and have most broadcasting rights for the huge footie market, so some still keep it just for that I guess.
Local Amazon prime is much cheaper, Netflix is the same.
If you want the UK prime content then it's 7.99 per month, I'm enjoying my free 30 days.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by paulw » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 am

http://www.salabournews.co.za/46421-job ... -struggles
Jobs at MultiChoice on the line as DStv struggles
Business Times reports that MultiChoice, grappling with new competition in the form of streaming services such as Netflix, is considering job cuts as part of its plan to create a "leaner" business.

According to an (unnamed) person familiar with the matter, the company has asked a large number of people to reapply for their positions and as many as 200 jobs could be on the line. The business has about 7,000 employees across Africa. A MultiChoice spokesperson said: "We are creating a leaner and more agile organisation in order to remain globally competitive. We are looking at different ways to transform our business into a more agile and digitally focused company." MultiChoice's satellite TV business, DStv, faces its biggest existential threat since its launch 23 years ago as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and other streaming giants wade into the local market. The new competition is taking its toll on DStv's premium subscriber base. In the year ended March, MultiChoice lost 41,000 premium subscribers across all its African markets. While the total subscriber base grew - MultiChoice added 563,000 in SA in the year to March - it came from far less profitable lower-cost packages. World Wide Worx MD Arthur Goldstuck commented that a downsizing of MultiChoice was inevitable.

Read more of this Sunday Times Business Times report by Nick Hedley at SA Labour News
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......

Return to “123.45”