Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by heinrich » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:01 am

cage wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:58 pm
heinrich wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:55 pm
My eyes are watering at the prices for these services in SA. :shock: :shock: dstv R899 [-(

Interesting to compare :

netflix == £8 p/m (2 devices streaming HD simultaneously)
amazon prime == £79 for a year, which includes free next day delivery on most online shopping, free Amazon music streaming and of course prime video.
interwebs == £32 p/m for an uncapped ±40Mb line.

I've not really had sky (dstv) here in the UK much but I think they're also getting a beating by streaming services like the above. But they are catching up and have most broadcasting rights for the huge footie market, so some still keep it just for that I guess.
Local Amazon prime is much cheaper, Netflix is the same.
If you want the UK prime content then it's 7.99 per month, I'm enjoying my free 30 days.
Cool, interesting to see. I think when we left in mid 2015 you had to get Netflix through a proxy as it wasn't available in SA. Assuming that's not changed?
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Christo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:04 am

heinrich wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:01 am

Cool, interesting to see. I think when we left in mid 2015 you had to get Netflix through a proxy as it wasn't available in SA. Assuming that's not changed?
Nope, Netflix are officially available in SA now
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 114 times

Unread post by cage » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:05 am

heinrich wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:01 am
There is local netflix, they limit content a bit due to pre-existing content agreements but it isn't bad and has got better since the initial launch.
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by heinrich » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 am

:smt023 :smt023
Jason
Paying Landing Fees
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am

Yip, i have the "local" netflix and i am very happy with content so far, i might get amazon prime to go alongside it as i see some shows i like on there, however i have read lots of Amazon Prime content not available (outside US) even though its shows it on the app.
Zoom Aviation Photography - http://www.zoompixs.co.za
AndreRV
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by AndreRV » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 am

Jason wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am
Yip, i have the "local" netflix and i am very happy with content so far, i might get amazon prime to go alongside it as i see some shows i like on there, however i have read lots of Amazon Prime content not available (outside US) even though its shows it on the app.
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime in SA work just fine. I pay an extra $5 a month for VPN connection so I can watch USA,UK,AUS netflix. You use the same account but what you can watch on Netflix is different per country. DSTV long gone..... I were even watch Tour de France on ITV (UK free channel) via VPN
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Roger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Not only does Netflix offer an array of content for around R100 per month, it does not operate under the same conditions as DStv, said MultiChoice SA CEO Calvo Mawela.

Mawela previously said Netflix has an unfair advantage over DStv in South Africa, and that a regulatory change is needed to address this problem.

He has called for Netflix to pay taxes in South Africa and abide by local broadcast regulations, which DStv is subject to.
Whether you love or hate them, I believe that they do have a right to winge that the playing field is not level.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by cage » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Roger wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm
Not only does Netflix offer an array of content for around R100 per month, it does not operate under the same conditions as DStv, said MultiChoice SA CEO Calvo Mawela.

Mawela previously said Netflix has an unfair advantage over DStv in South Africa, and that a regulatory change is needed to address this problem.

He has called for Netflix to pay taxes in South Africa and abide by local broadcast regulations, which DStv is subject to.
Whether you love or hate them, I believe that they do have a right to winge that the playing field is not level.
They made sure it remained a non-level playing field and now a bigger dog has given them a dose of their own medicine.
Jason
Paying Landing Fees

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Yes i do agree sort off but online is a different medium to DSTV but is competition to them i guess (unless they offered only on demand viewing and not being forced to watch reruns all day long)....Interesting enough i see the DSTV app is now available on Apple TV

wonder how does it work in US/UK/AUS etc? surely Foxtel in Aus for example is not crying to regulators about netflix
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by paulw » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Roger wrote:

Same when Satellite TV in SA became available and Multichoice went that route.
Easier to receive better quality content via dish. They also did not get license money from subscribers.
So they were at a disadvantage but also an advantage in technology.
So SABC was a bit slow to catch up.

Now Multichoice was a bit slow to catchup.

Same with newspapers and online content.

Thats unfortunately the way the cookie crumble.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Jason
Paying Landing Fees

Unread post by Jason » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:12 pm

paulw wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm
Roger wrote:

Same when Satellite TV in SA became available and Multichoice went that route.
Easier to receive better quality content via dish. They also did not get license money from subscribers.
So they were at a disadvantage but also an advantage in technology.
So SABC was a bit slow to catch up.

Now Multichoice was a bit slow to catchup.

Same with newspapers and online content.

Thats unfortunately the way the cookie crumble.
I understand that multichoice has asked some of there staff to reapply for there roles as they are looking at cutting headcount due to loss of subscribers.
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by SlowApproach » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:29 pm

The impending job cuts at Multichoice is the typical knee-jerk reaction of an arrogant corporate who’s been enjoying an effective monopoly for way too long. Going “lean and agile” now is like treating the symptom and not the cause. They just don’t get it (or refuse to accept) that they simply have the wrong primary products (at totally inflated prices too, nogal) in a global market that is changing completely in nature. The signs were there a long time ago but they, like their peers, simply pooh-poohed them. Now the staff, as usual, have to suffer the company executives’ hubris.
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
Jason
Paying Landing Fees

Unread post by Jason » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 am

Does Anyone know using Amazon Prime Video if the Channel "CBS all access" (extra $5.99Pm over the $12.99 for Prime) that has all the shows the family like watching is available in SA not using VPN?

It has 9-1-1, seal team, Good fight etc

After some googling it seems not likely this will work on smart TV anyway :(
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by cage » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 am

Jason wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 am
Does Anyone know using Amazon Prime Video if the Channel "CBS all access" (extra $5.99Pm over the $12.99 for Prime) that has all the shows the family like watching is available in SA not using VPN?

That is US only content.
If you want full content you need to use networking tools to mask your location.
Jason
Paying Landing Fees

Unread post by Jason » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 am

cage wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 am
Jason wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 am

That is US only content.
If you want full content you need to use networking tools to mask your location.
Thanks Cage, thought as much but had to ask :)

Return to “123.45”