Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Emigration options

Unread post by Whirly » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 am

We have decided on Spain thanks to all the information received here on AvCom. Our plan is to apply for a retirement visa and not the Golden visa that allows you to work there. From what I understand you don't have to invest or even buy property but must prove a secure source of income like pension fund payments. Getting income from a business will not be sufficient. You also need to take out medical aid.

Thanks to HJK here, I managed to gain a lot of knowledge and have done some research.He gave me great advice and although we won't be leaving soon, our plans are taking shape and some things have already been set in motion. Medical aid does not seem to be expensive and buying property also seems easy.

Ou Toppie, another AvCom member and Saffer, also lives there and has been feeding me information. The East Coast seems to have a very nice all year round climate. My wife hates cold weather and I can't stand too hot and sticky weather. The average winter temperature is shown as 17 degrees and 27 degrees for summer. The British people have bought a lot of property in Spain and have obviously caused an increase in property values but more so, English is spoken everywhere in those areas and lots of newspapers are in English.

My wife and I both ride bikes (yes, Harley Davidson! :D ) and we have already checked, they have quite a few dealerships around. Can only be magic riding along the coast there. :D

I know Horace is also considering Spain.

Any other suggestions?

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Emigration options

Unread post by ACE MAN » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:58 am

Whirly - wishing you the best. Two things I always think of in life are 1) You make your own luck - regardless. 2) you often meet your destiny on the path you chose to avoid it. Probably pretty useless as they are both double edged swords and one will always validate ones choices. Anyway's - best of luck!
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
HJK 414
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: EHTW
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:38 am

Whirly wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 am
My wife hates cold weather and I can't stand too hot and sticky weather. The average winter temperature is shown as 17 degrees and 27 degrees for summer. The British people have bought a lot of property in Spain and have obviously caused an increase in property values but more so, English is spoken everywhere in those areas and lots of newspapers are in English.
Hi Whirly - not only Horace is also looking at it - there are more people looking at the retirement Visa option / as it does not require investment.
I have been playing Spainopedia for some time ...... :D

Just an explanation to that "micro climate zone"
The Costa Blanca ( from about Cartagena to Moraira ) has a Micro climate due to the South westerlies coming over the Med from North Africa. If you go further south (towards Malaga) you have the Atlantic ocean winds and "effect". And it is colder.
Once you go past Moraira - the coastline turns North towards Valencia and it is remarkably colder there as well (p.e. Denia) ..
The Mountain range that "traps" the warm air / weather on the Coastline also ends at Moraira (the Bernia).
We have the warmest weather in the winter in all of the Spanish and Portuguese coastline and have had days of 20 degrees plus in mid winter. We can swim in our pool for about 9 months per annum (unheated pool).

We drive back to Spain in 3 weeks - and will be there until the end of March.
As far as we are concerned - there is no better spot in Europe for English speaking residents to be.
Look forward to seeing you soon - I will stock up on beverage's and get the missus to stock up on some munchies

Side note :
There is also a great GA airport there : FW and Rotor.
http://www.aerodromodemutxamel.es/web/e ... ome-plane/

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Fransw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:07 am

Whirly wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 am
We have decided on Spain thanks to all the information received here on AvCom. Our plan is to apply for a retirement visa and not the Golden visa that allows you to work there. From what I understand you don't have to invest or even buy property but must prove a secure source of income like pension fund payments. Getting income from a business will not be sufficient. You also need to take out medical aid.

Thanks to HJK here, I managed to gain a lot of knowledge and have done some research.He gave me great advice and although we won't be leaving soon, our plans are taking shape and some things have already been set in motion. Medical aid does not seem to be expensive and buying property also seems easy.

Ou Toppie, another AvCom member and Saffer, also lives there and has been feeding me information. The East Coast seems to have a very nice all year round climate. My wife hates cold weather and I can't stand too hot and sticky weather. The average winter temperature is shown as 17 degrees and 27 degrees for summer. The British people have bought a lot of property in Spain and have obviously caused an increase in property values but more so, English is spoken everywhere in those areas and lots of newspapers are in English.

My wife and I both ride bikes (yes, Harley Davidson! :D ) and we have already checked, they have quite a few dealerships around. Can only be magic riding along the coast there. :D

I know Horace is also considering Spain.

Any other suggestions?

Whirly.
Muchas gracias Whirly! 8) Interesting!

I visited the Murcia province town La Manga in September a few years ago and the weather was really pleasant. Almost like spring here..

Lekker adventure! Good luck! Learn a couple of Spanish phrases, its fun and helps a lot. I can order beer and ask for the bill in Spanish! 8) :lol: All you need to survive in Spain!

Edit: Sell the Harleys and buy Honda AT's there. Its Japanese and the Toyota of the bikes! Comfortable, easy to ride and also good for off road. Lots of that in Spain señor!
Barros
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Earls Colne
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Barros » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:41 am

Excellent Choice
Walter105
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Walter105 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:03 am

Question for people who have made the move out of SA. Would you suggest taking all your furniture/household items etc in a container with you to wherever, or just dispose everything locally and buy new in the new location?
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:22 am

Walter105 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:03 am
Question for people who have made the move out of SA. Would you suggest taking all your furniture/household items etc in a container with you to wherever, or just dispose everything locally and buy new in the new location?
Good question Walter!

I will dispose most except my 'valuables' like one or two art pieces, most of my clothes..

The cost of an 12m container to most places is about R100k, not much you canbuy with that..

To move is not cheap!
Jel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Jel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Fransw wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:22 am
Walter105 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:03 am
Good question Walter!

I will dispose most except my 'valuables' like one or two art pieces, most of my clothes..

The cost of an 12m container to most places is about R100k, not much you canbuy with that..

To move is not cheap!
Ok so I don't have many "valuables" - are half containers (sharing) easy to come by? Even my clothes are not "valuable" :roll:

Whirly can you give us more info... for no other reason than we are going to Germany to live for awhile but have no intention of staying there, so Spain seems like a good option... I understand you don't want to give your street address :wink: but will you be working there at all, or simply retiring? What were your main criteria in terms of shops, size of town / village, or are you not THAT far along yet :?:
ou toppie
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: LEAX Aeropuerto de la Axa

Unread post by ou toppie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Good Day Whirly
PM sent
OT
Barros
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Earls Colne
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Barros » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi
we got rid of everything Emirates 42 kg each
Bought it all here
skyvan
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by skyvan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Can I please ask a question: Is Spain that much better than Portugal?

From what I have been reading, Portugal, especially down south, is very retirement friendly, and a bit cheaper, so I am quite interested to know what, in your eyes, makes Spain the better place to retire to.

I am asking for my own education, We are still fairly new to the idea of retiring in Europe, so have no destination solidly in front at the moment.
HJK 414
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: EHTW
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:08 pm

skyvan wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:49 pm
Can I please ask a question: Is Spain that much better than Portugal?

From what I have been reading, Portugal, especially down south, is very retirement friendly, and a bit cheaper, so I am quite interested to know what, in your eyes, makes Spain the better place to retire to.

I am asking for my own education, We are still fairly new to the idea of retiring in Europe, so have no destination solidly in front at the moment.

Skyvan - there is no "better" ......
It is all a personal choice and a matter of what is "important to you / or your circumstances".
We were looking for a place to spend the winter months / I am retired and we live in Germany - but after living in the Tropics and sub Tropics most of my life - the winters here in Germany were not for me. (so we bought a second house and spend 6 months there)

That meant for us - the criteria were: in order of importance for us
1) Climate / (warm winters)
2) Coastal region
3) Not a Town or Region spot that only operates in the Tourist season (abandoned in winter).
4) Drive-able (we did not want to go to Mallorca or the Canary Island)
5) Airport access (European and International)
6) Affordable
7) English spoken environment / newspapers etc.

You can make your own list - matter of prioritizing ....

We looked at the entire Atlantic - Mediterranean coastline - from Sagres (Portugal) all the way to Brindisi.(Italy)

Portugal is great - the Algarve is fantastic - but in the "winter months" too cold and too many places are practically "closed" in the winter.
Spain - Cadiz / Huelva down to Gibraltar (Atlantic winds - cold)
Spain - Costa del Sol - Great - lots of tourists - but still a tad chilly in winter. (for us the nr 2 choice / we almost bought a house in Mijas)
Spain - Costa Blanca - our spot - We wanted the warmest possible climate, and all year round activity and that was our nr. 1 priority.

For someone that does not mind colder nights / days in winter (Bloemfontein weather) - Tarragona to Barcelona would be an option.

France - my absolute favourite spot in Europe / St Juan Le Pen / Antibes / Nice / Cannes ......But too cold in Winter
Italy - Not for us. (weather - attitude of people ......especially down South ....... )

We travel to Portugal (Portimao) once in a while - and the cost of living such as food and restaurants ....is actually higher than on the Costa Blanca in my view. I am not sure about amenities such as Gas / Electricity / Council taxes etc.
Housing is much more expensive in Portugal (Algarve) than in Spain - BIG difference.

So - it is horses for courses - and a matter of what you wish to do with your time.
I play quite a bit of Golf - and we like going out for meals - so we want "an active" environment.

Speak to Ou Toppie on this thread - he lives in the hinterland behind Malaga and probably has more peace and quiet than you could find anywhere else on this planet / and if that is what you are looking for - then go away from the coast for 20 miles and you will find a very tranquil environment, for a fraction of the cost.

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Thank you yet again Jan.
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:34 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 pm
Thank you yet again Jan.
Marius, is jy ook oppad Spanje toe?

What do you think of a buffalo in the bullring! Imagine the poor matador! :shock: :lol:
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Fransw wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:34 pm
Marius Schrenk wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 pm
Thank you yet again Jan.
Marius, is jy ook oppad Spanje toe?

What do you think of a buffalo in the bullring! Imagine the poor matador! :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.

Return to “123.45”