Moderator: Moderators

hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Emigration options

Unread post by hugo_visser » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 pm

See it as an adventure/experience, can always go back. You only discover things by doing it.

We lived in a very self controlled safe environment zone in SA not having to lock doors at night and the fuel bowzer. In NZ the freedom of safety and is bigger and the biggest thing to adapt to so far, for us.

Getting along with much less house, furniture cars .......and that makes you work less, and explore more. Still want to unpack my container and a NZ..... lady at a Christmas party said you are getting along fine with what you have in the house, to hell with the container and go do something nice, tour whatever.

Wanted to buy a better house, but 3 mil difference in price will give us 5 to 10 years touring freedom camping.. and NIL work .Why work ???? Have been doing that my freaking hole life so far, it is a mindset.

A friend came to visit, he is on the way to NZ his eyes opened. He declined a chance 10 years ago.
Another friend came to visit mid December, his first container of goods are leaving for NZ Wednesday.

Our monthly running cost about same as in SA, house excluded ( paid for in SA, and paid for in NZ )
Flying VERY expensive, but will get there, (Alo on the NZ register ) piece by piece. Converting LAME license piece by piece. Next converting fixed wing license.

Hugo.
These users liked the author hugo_visser for the post (total 4):
paulwrare birdexcolonialMouser
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 113 times

Unread post by Fransw » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:46 am

hugo_visser wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 pm
See it as an adventure/experience, can always go back. You only discover things by doing it.

We lived in a very self controlled safe environment zone in SA not having to lock doors at night and the fuel bowzer. In NZ the freedom of safety and is bigger and the biggest thing to adapt to so far, for us.

Getting along with much less house, furniture cars .......and that makes you work less, and explore more. Still want to unpack my container and a NZ..... lady at a Christmas party said you are getting along fine with what you have in the house, to hell with the container and go do something nice, tour whatever.

Wanted to buy a better house, but 3 mil difference in price will give us 5 to 10 years touring freedom camping.. and NIL work .Why work ???? Have been doing that my freaking hole life so far, it is a mindset.

A friend came to visit, he is on the way to NZ his eyes opened. He declined a chance 10 years ago.
Another friend came to visit mid December, his first container of goods are leaving for NZ Wednesday.

Our monthly running cost about same as in SA, house excluded ( paid for in SA, and paid for in NZ )
Flying VERY expensive, but will get there, (Alo on the NZ register ) piece by piece. Converting LAME license piece by piece. Next converting fixed wing license.

Hugo.
You have the right attitude for this Hugo. A family member is leaving for Queensland on the 28 of this month for good. The South Africans are making a good impression worldwide.

Have fun and keep us posted..
Falafel
Returning to aircraft
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Falafel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Retired US couple living in Portugal for around USD 2,300 p/m

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-muc ... 020-1?IR=T
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Alicante
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 541 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Falafel wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:36 pm

That's about right ……. :smt045
Just did the same sums with Mr. Blok ......

Spain will be a tad cheaper - but more or less the same will apply.

I would opt to buy a house though - and use whatever equity I had to lower my monthly rental / repayment costs …….
Renting is paying off someone else loan - better to fund your own equity …

JK
Falafel
Returning to aircraft
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Falafel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm
Falafel wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:36 pm

That's about right ……. :smt045
Just did the same sums with Mr. Blok ......

Spain will be a tad cheaper - but more or less the same will apply.

I would opt to buy a house though - and use whatever equity I had to lower my monthly rental / repayment costs …….
Renting is paying off someone else loan - better to fund your own equity …

JK
Gotta say I am surprised... very reasonable and really puts things in perspective from an SA point of view...
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Alicante
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 541 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Falafel wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Gotta say I am surprised... very reasonable and really puts things in perspective from an SA point of view...
Yup ….

We just had Hartog Blok and his wife in Spain with us a few weeks ago and he was surprised as well.
On the Costa Blanca - where we live - you can expect to pay between 10 and 14 Euro's for a 3 course meal with a glass of wine or beer included ……
Example -
Bread with Aoli /
Large fried Sole with Chips and Veggies on the side
Coffee or Ice cream - and a glass of wine or a beer - will cost you 13.50 Euro's
Sole Spain.jpg

You can eat a 3 course meal at the Chinese restaurant for 7 (chicken mains) to 9 Euro's (beef mains) - and that applies to the Indian restaurants as well.
Example -
Spring roll
Beef or Chicken mains with fried Rice or Noodles
Ice cream / Flan or Coffee
including a glass of wine (250cl), or a beer (330cl)

It appears that in some cases the cost of living in SA is jumping past that of countries such as Spain and Portugal.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 122 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:32 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm
Falafel wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Yup ….

We just had Hartog Blok and his wife in Spain with us a few weeks ago and he was surprised as well.
On the Costa Blanca - where we live - you can expect to pay between 10 and 14 Euro's for a 3 course meal with a glass of wine or beer included ……
Example -
Bread with Aoli /
Large fried Sole with Chips and Veggies on the side
Coffee or Ice cream - and a glass of wine or a beer - will cost you 13.50 Euro's

You can eat a 3 course meal at the Chinese restaurant for 7 (chicken mains) to 9 Euro's (beef mains) - and that applies to the Indian restaurants as well.
Example -
Spring roll
Beef or Chicken mains with fried Rice or Noodles
Ice cream / Flan or Coffee
including a glass of wine (250cl), or a beer (330cl)

It appears that in some cases the cost of living in SA is jumping past that of countries such as Spain and Portugal.

JK
:shock: Now you tell me.We decided to return home and go again after 14 day's because we thought the plane tickets were cheaper than staying in between . :? :wink:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by paulw » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:34 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm

JK
And the difference will be even more in a few years.

And an interesting side note, there are not many refugees in Portugal as living there is cheaper, the social welfare is less. So the refugees get less money and then decide to move north where they will get more.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by pwnel » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:57 am

Whirly wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:56 pm
Marius Schrenk wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:14 pm
Fransw wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:16 pm

California! :smt023
Depends on the level of your Spanish. :roll:
In California you are still OK, even in a place like San Diego that is only 20 minutes from the Mexican border.

In Miami it is a different story. :roll:

Whirly.
Whirly the man had "functioning government" as one of his tick boxes :lol: Everything else, especially the flying, is amazing in the US. :D

In all seriousness, it's interesting how I still get more worked-up about politics in SA than anything in the US (I really should just stop reading News24). Hard to simply disconnect from the place - don't think you ever do. Also, pilotsofamerica doesn't nearly have the debates you see on AvCom :lol:
FAA ASEL COM (IF), MCSA SAR member, flies out of FACT, KBLM (Monmouth Exec, NJ - USA).
Mooney 231
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 156 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:57 am

[quote=pwnel post_id=2091890 time=1579309023

In all seriousness, it's interesting how I still get more worked-up about politics in SA than anything in the US (I really should just stop reading News24). Hard to simply disconnect from the place - don't think you ever do. Also, pilotsofamerica doesn't nearly have the debates you see on AvCom :lol:
[/quote]

....pwnel, I made a concious decision not to watch news and or read newspapers as they mostly are the bearers of bad (negative) news. Funny enough all of the important news still reach my ears, just without all the nitbits of detail that upsets me - from there if I want too, I look further into it - works for me!

....oh ja and no one debates like AvCom :lol: :lol: :lol:
These users liked the author V5 - LEO for the post:
pwnel
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
snoopy
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 190 times

Unread post by snoopy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:41 am

I have to say, when I lived and worked in AUS, I didn't think about SA news, or want to read it while in AUS...nee wat.

You can't live in a foreign country completely (emigrate) - if you don't let go of the issues in the country which you left - it will wreck your quality of life in the new country.
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by paulw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:15 pm

snoopy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:41 am
I have to say, when I lived and worked in AUS, I didn't think about SA news, or want to read it while in AUS...nee wat.

You can't live in a foreign country completely (emigrate) - if you don't let go of the issues in the country which you left - it will wreck your quality of life in the new country.
I am the opposite. I keep on reading to see whats happening so that I get reminded why I left (for most part) and not get convinced by anyone to go back to SA like the last time....for example, last time we moved back to SA straight into Load Shedding. Never knew it exist.... :twisted:
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:52 pm

paulw wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:15 pm
snoopy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:41 am

I am the opposite. I keep on reading to see whats happening so that I get reminded why I left (for most part) and not get convinced by anyone to go back to SA like the last time....for example, last time we moved back to SA straight into Load Shedding. Never knew it exist.... :twisted:
No ways....would you stalk your ex....just to remind you ?? :wink:
snoopy
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 190 times

Unread post by snoopy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:08 pm

@paulw

I suppose we all different - but I strongly believe in this in terms of emigration. Its the only way you will really give it the best shot...is to flip the switch from here to there.

These users liked the author snoopy for the post:
heinrich
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:12 pm

snoopy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:08 pm
@paulw

I suppose we all different - but I strongly believe in this in terms of emigration. Its the only way you will really give it the best shot...is to flip the switch from here to there.

:shock: Ek het nooit geweet Soutp!el is n Chinese idee nie. :roll:

Return to “123.45”