Re: Emigration options

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Fransw wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:13 pm
Whirly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 pm
No, that was San Diego, USA. :lol: :lol:

Whirly.
Oh! :oops: How is San Diego then? Good whether, etc, etc.. Please tell us a little.. Muchas gracias! :mrgreen:
Frans,

My favourite place in the USA. Nice weather, very much like Cape Town but without the wind. There are more Saffers living there (in La Jolla) than anywhere else in the US. US Naval HQ as well, beautiful beaches, beautiful girls, very nice airports and great people. Reasonably close to LA, 20 minutes drive to Mexico, great zoo, fantastic places like Sea World, Coronado Island etc.

It could be expensive to live there but if you move a little inland, it gets cheaper. I was at Gillespie Field in El Cajon, very nice airport. :D

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by Iceberg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Whirly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm
Fransw wrote:
Whirly wrote:

Whirly.
Oh! :oops: How is San Diego then? Good whether, etc, etc.. Please tell us a little.. Muchas gracias! :mrgreen:
Frans,

My favourite place in the USA. Nice weather, very much like Cape Town but without the wind. There are more Saffers living there (in La Jolla) than anywhere else in the US. US Naval HQ as well, beautiful beaches, beautiful girls, very nice airports and great people. Reasonably close to LA, 20 minutes drive to Mexico, great zoo, fantastic places like Sea World, Coronado Island etc.

It could be expensive to live there but if you move a little inland, it gets cheaper. I was at Gillespie Field in El Cajon, very nice airport. :D

Whirly.
I visited there once and thought if I ever moved to the US that would have been high up on the list.
Visited Coronado, Sea World, the zoo etc.
The next question is why the hell did you come back here? :?
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Iceberg,

I was there all by myself. My son (living in SA) wanted to come and live with me but as I travelled way too much and he was still at school, I did not want to do that. I did not like the US schools either. My partner in SA passed away and as I had been away so long already, I had lost contact with the SA market.

Family in SA was the main reason. My son is all grown up now and he emigrated with his family to NZ just over a year ago. :roll: We at least spent the last 24 years in the same country! :D

Whirly.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by Iceberg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Whirly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 pm
Iceberg,

I was there all by myself. My son (living in SA) wanted to come and live with me but as I travelled way too much and he was still at school, I did not want to do that. I did not like the US schools either. My partner in SA passed away and as I had been away so long already, I had lost contact with the SA market.

Family in SA was the main reason. My son is all grown up now and he emigrated with his family to NZ just over a year ago. :roll: We at least spent the last 24 years in the same country! :D

Whirly.
OK, makes sense. Life is complex for all of us it seems.
My wife and I toured the US in 1999 to see if we should emigrate and where to.
San Diego or Phoenix were good contenders. Denver was also nice.
The 3 children were all still at school doing well, so the whole move would have been a big upheaval for all of us.
Things in SA weren't looking too bad either, so we canned the idea.
Life was good in SA, the kids are now grown, one daughter already living in Canada with the second looking abroad as well.
With the current SA situation we are again at the crossroads. #-o Decisions, decisions. :?
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Whirly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm
Fransw wrote:
Whirly wrote:

Whirly.
Frans,

Whirly.
Bikini girls on Rollerblades!? :-" sounds good to me!
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Frans,

Those I saw many of (the rollerblade girls) when I lived next to the beach in Santa Monica (LA). I shared a house with another guy and our neighbour told us the house we were staying in used to belong to Jim Morrison (of The Doors). :D When we sat on the deck on weekends, beer in hand, we saw acres and acres of girls, mostly competing who could wear the smallest bikini. :lol:

Our favourite hang out place was very close to Santa Monica airport (where we both operated from), a place called "Denim and Diamonds", I can't line dance to save my life but man, oh man the most beautiful girls were there in droves. American girls love our SA accent, more I won't say! :twisted:

Whirly.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Mod's please remove Whirly's post.
If this gets out the few remainers left will change their mind...
Whirly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 pm
Frans,

Those I saw many of (the rollerblade girls) when I lived next to the beach in Santa Monica (LA). I shared a house with another guy and our neighbour told us the house we were staying in used to belong to Jim Morrison (of The Doors). :D When we sat on the deck on weekends, beer in hand, we saw acres and acres of girls, mostly competing who could wear the smallest bikini. :lol:

Our favourite hang out place was very close to Santa Monica airport (where we both operated from), a place called "Denim and Diamonds", I can't line dance to save my life but man, oh man the most beautiful girls were there in droves. American girls love our SA accent, more I won't say! :twisted:

Whirly.
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:50 pm

rainier wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 pm
Mod's please remove Whirly's post.
If this gets out the few remainers left will change their mind...
Whirly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 pm
Frans,

Whirly.
Too late, I'm already busy with my visa application! :mrgreen:
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by paulw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Fransw wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Hhhmm, where to?
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Taking dogs and in particular dogs with you:

This is mostly applicable for EU and in specific Ireland, but will give you at least a good idea of what to expect for other countries.

Also, the Pet travel companies will do some of this at an extra fee but it is easy to do it yourself.

My experience and info so far:
(Disclaimer: note that you need to do your own research as laws and rules change ie quarantine is not required for most countries like they used to as long as Titer tests are done)

One important note:
You need to do Rabies Titer test. If you go to EU, you can have the blood sample tested in Germany for all EU countries and Sweden.
All other countries get tested at Onderstepoort.
Onderstepoort cost about R1734 per dog and take 4 weeks.
The Onderstepoort Lab closed on Friday last week and open sometime January again.
If you go to EU, you can have your Vet send the bloodsample to Germany and get the results in 2 weeks.
What you should do, is when they draw the blood, immediately have the Vet give the animal(s) another Rabie shot just in case the results come back negative and you need to do it again (That is if you are on a tight schedule else you can just wait and see what the results are. I did not know that and lost valuable time this way. It is putting me back 2 months effectively.

My one dog failed her blood tests and I had to take her back today for another tests but took her to a private Vet who quoted me R1200. I still need to pay when I get the results but that will be a good fee if true.
Some others did pay as little as R1200 and some up to R2300 per animal.

This Vet was the only one who did some trouble to find out what to do in the case of EU as all the other Vets send the blood sample to Onderstepoort by default and do not even know about Germany.
There are two ways the Vets in northern Pretoria will get the blood to Onderstepoort. Personal delivery or IDEXX as a courier. So if you ask if they use IDEXX, they will answer yes, but it still go to Onderstepoort.
You have to specify that the blood must go to Germany. That means a different form that need to be completed as well.

So they phoned IDEXX who send it to Germany and requested the correct blood sample tubes and correct forms.

Florandia Animal Clinic 012-565-5597 790 Brits Road, Tileba, Pretoria-North.

Get dogs Microchipped BEFORE Rabies Test (or same time). Microchip must be internationally recognised. Do 5-1 Inoculations and Rabies.
Virbac is recognised.

Wait 31 days before doing Rabie Titer tests.
Some do another Rabie shot when doing Titer test just in case there was a false positive to save in time and not to have to wait another 31 days.

R1700 per dog at Onderstepoort. Private vets range from R1200-R2300.

Do Rabies check at Onderstepoort or private Vet. If private Vet, blood sample get sent to Onderstepoort or Germany (IDEXX).
Waiting time for results Germany is 1-2 week, Onderstepoort 4 weeks.
https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-m ... I6iiqte1Ww

Get certificate that dogs passed. This is valid for a life time BUT:
Do Rabies injections every year on time.
Not allowed to be late not even one DAY else certificate expire.
This is for EUROPE. I believe some other countries do not accept a lifetime certificate.

NOTE DAYS:
Dogs can only travel 92 days after TITER test was done (Date of blood sample)

Treatment for Echinococcus (tapeworm) 120 hours and not less than 24 hours before the time of scheduled entry.
Vet must check dog and give a Health Certificate for EU.
It must be accompanied by a EU health certificate (also known as EU Annex IV Health Certificate), before entering an EU country, including Ireland.

Take Rabies certificate and Deworm certificate plus Health Report for EU to State Docter.

Make appointment State doctor. State Vet: 012-316-1600

State Vet will stamp documents. Must be done within 5 days of Travel.

Certify all copies of vaccinations, etc.

Some of the above can be done by the Pet Travel companies at an additional fee.

Dogs costs to transport depends on volume size of crate.

They get a calming collar around the neck for stress.

Snub nose dogs can only travel via Lufthansa in the summer and only on night flights.
in winter OK. Apparently, they get hot very quickly.

Specific to Ireland:
(Other EU countries may differ slightly in process but not requirements as the EU laws apply)
(Other countries in the world have different requirements so have a look on websites like Global Paws to see the requirements)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... UQz1-Qk7-M

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/bri ... 4Z7EM#Your

http://globalpaws.co.za/country-require ... countries/

Import Permit:
Ireland: Send email 2-3 days before hand to tell them dogs are coming and on which flight when flight booked. Advance notice must be e-mailed to petmove[at]agriculture[dot]gov[dot]ie, at least 24 hours in advance of travel. Please complete the advance notice form which can be accessed on
https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/euh ... os2JG8f34I

Alternatively please provide us with the details required within the form in the main body of your email to petmove[at]agriculture[dot]gov[dot]ie
No import permit required. EU allow 5 dogs to be imported. No quarantine required. No dogs on a banned list, but some dogs on controlled list ie must wear muzzle when in public and on leash.
Some other countries ie Thailand, AUs, NZ, etc you need to apply for Import permit, limit on number of dogs/pets to import.

Apparently Global Paws are good for dogs to Ireland but more expensive.

Quote Global Paws R148k excl extras - extras approx R25000 (4 Large dogs)
Petpassport R110k all inclusive from Pretoria to Cork which means a trip of 3-4 hours by road after landing in Dublin.(4 large dogs)
Get quotes from Animal Travel Services- apparently good and cheap

Get quotes from AeroPet-apprently good and cheap
Keringa Petwings (East Rand)
Kookaburra (Pretoria).

Paws-Resort (www.paws-resort.co.za) and
Aeropets (www.aeropets.co.za). (Paws resort do tests and rabies tests etc and Aeropets do the transport.

Www.petpassport.com

petport.co.za Speak to Beverly. Good review from Facebook

http://animaltravel.co.za/ still to get a quote as per several people Facebook. Looks like one of the best.

Try keringa Cheapest. as per Facebook

Aeropets also suggested by Facebook"

Clearing might or might not be included depending on company used.
"Pet clearing agent in Ireland. Dean with Petport. his number is +353 860114692. He was excellent"

Pets must enter Ireland through Dublin Airport only and must undergo compliance checks on arrival.
Pets travelling to Ireland from non – EU countries must enter through Dublin Airport and must undergo a compliance check on arrival.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your animal undergoes the compliance check. You must organise compliance checks for your pet landing in Ireland in advance of your arrival at Dublin Airport.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 pm

paulw wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:03 pm
Fransw wrote:

Hhhmm, where to?
No not really. Only joking about Whirly's bikini Rollerblade girls in San Diego..
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Fransw wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 pm
paulw wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:03 pm
Fransw wrote:

Hhhmm, where to?
No not really. Only joking about Whirly's bikini Rollerblade girls in San Diego..
Oooo.... :lol:
Gerard Schultz
Rolling
Closest Airfield: So many to choose from
Location: Charleston SC, USA and Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

Unread post by Gerard Schultz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:10 am

Fransw,

I thought this was something new that the Trump administration has introduced but I see that it has been in place since 1990. https://www.uscis.gov/eb-5

I also see that no changes are mooted for the foreseeable future. We are two years into our green cards and the next step is American citizenship. =D>
"It is nowise foolish to tilt at windmills. Providing you learn to knock them down." - Jeff Cooper
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:32 am

Gerard Schultz wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:10 am
Fransw,

I thought this was something new that the Trump administration has introduced but I see that it has been in place since 1990. https://www.uscis.gov/eb-5

I also see that no changes are mooted for the foreseeable future. We are two years into our green cards and the next step is American citizenship. =D>
Yes, agreed. I also looked at this a few years ago.
I looked at this link and the one of Pam Golding posted a page or so ago.
Also more here:
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-st ... -investors

You are not buying Citizenship, but Perm Res which you can convert to Citizenship after 5 year.

This is different to EU and Australia, NZ, etc.

Will be interesting to see what will change next year.

Currently:

USD 500,000 or USD 1,000,000 (EB-5 investor 2017 changes)
Business investment with job create in major urban or rural US cities. Must create local jobs.
Residency by investment (Green card permanent resident status)
Qualifying investments (business venture, real estate projects, other investments that create jobs through regional centers)
US Citizenship after 5 years of uninterrupted living
Live anywhere in the US.
Must live permanently in the US, not absent for more than 3 months.
US imposes taxes on worldwide income to EB5 investors
Processing time anywhere 15-18 months.
Family and children qualify for green card.

I mentioned this previously in the thread that was closed.
The quickest to get to USA and most countries is if you have a business with some minimal qualifications and worked as Manager or Director or owner for at least 1 year in the past 3 years and need proof with SARS documents.
You start a sister company in that country and request a transfer Work Visa.
It will take a few months only. I heard 4 months.

The investor programmes like the EB-5 is for starting a new business from scratch or just invest (in the case of Australia not USA) in some venture, maybe Real Estate, etc.
IOW, in Australia and NZ the possibility exist to just invest the money without creating new jobs and running a business but the investment is higher than starting a business with job creation.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 am

Gerard Schultz wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:10 am
Fransw,

Sorry Gerard, I thought it was new news! Sounds interesting your US plans. How long before you get US citizenship?...cheers

Return to “123.45”