Closest Airfield: FAGM

Re: Emigration options

Unread post by richard C » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:15 am

Iceberg wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:07 am
Whirly wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:52 am
Jel,

If Brexit causes the Pound or even Euro to devalue, just think what it will do to the Rand! So it would make no difference to the money I have over there already. :D

Whirly.
Gold is cheap - so maybe time to hedge with gold ETF's?
EFT's ??

Ja, I've started depositing money from my own account back into it, three days later the old money is worth more !!! I'm gonna be rich !!! :D :D
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by Iceberg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:19 am

richard C wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:15 am
Iceberg wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:07 am
Whirly wrote:
Jel,

If Brexit causes the Pound or even Euro to devalue, just think what it will do to the Rand! So it would make no difference to the money I have over there already. :D

Whirly.
Gold is cheap - so maybe time to hedge with gold ETF's?
EFT's ??

Ja, I've started depositing money from my own account back into it, three days later the old money is worth more !!! I'm gonna be rich !!! :D :D
ETF's - Exchange Traded Funds. They follow the price of gold.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Jel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:21 am

Whirly wrote:
Jel,

Whirly.
True... but same way we hedge against Runt depreciation there may be an opportunity to hedge against Pound depreciation... but you can do it in harder currency... I think Brexit going to create a unique opportunity if it all goes pear shaped... so... buy pounds cheaper, then with the property prices should settle or even more opportunity there to buy a property with your newly acquired cheap pounds, so all in all buy UK at a discount... then when they all realise that this was not as big a deal as they thought, you will be a gazzilliontrillionbazzillionaire :!: Ok so maybe just make a little money that's all...

Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor, this does not constitute advice and if you try and become a gazzilliontrillionbazzillionaire by my advice you are certainly doing so at your own risk...
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by richard C » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 am

Jel wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:21 am
Whirly wrote:
Jel,

Whirly.
True... but same way we hedge against Runt depreciation there may be an opportunity to hedge against Pound depreciation... but you can do it in harder currency... I think Brexit going to create a unique opportunity if it all goes pear shaped... so... buy pounds cheaper, then with the property prices should settle or even more opportunity there to buy a property with your newly acquired cheap pounds, so all in all buy UK at a discount... then when they all realise that this was not as big a deal as they thought, you will be a gazzilliontrillionbazzillionaire :!: Ok so maybe just make a little money that's all...

Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor, this does not constitute advice and if you try and become a gazzilliontrillionbazzillionaire by my advice you are certainly doing so at your own risk...
My idea is simpler :(
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Jel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Jel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 am

richard C wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 am
Jel wrote:
Whirly wrote:
Jel,

Whirly.

So how do I do this (due to my pending emigration to keep it on track) :?:
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Jel wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 am
richard C wrote:
Jel wrote:

EFT money from your account to your account......perpetual motion.?? :wink:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Jel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Jel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Jel wrote:
richard C wrote:

Hmmm I am lost then... "gold ETF's"... :?:
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Jel wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:56 pm
Marius Schrenk wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Jel wrote:

Hmmm I am lost then... "gold ETF's"... :?:
Ask Iceberg???
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by paulw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:19 pm

paulw wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Florandia Animal Clinic 012-565-5597 790 Brits Road, Tileba, Pretoria-North.

So just got the bill for Florandia. R1432 for the Bloodtest with IDEXX courier and test etc.
Onderstepoort charge R1734.
Plus Sending to Germany is cheaper (I should get results and time now. I hope Xmas will not delay this)
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by paulw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Just something to remember when emigrating. If you emigrate and continue working especially for yourself, you can often claim relocating costs from Tax.
In my case I will be able to claim up to 52 percent of expenses of relocating from taxman.
Of course if you pay yourself. Often companies will sponsor if you transfer or often even a new employer will pay relocation costs.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Jel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Jel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:42 pm

paulw wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 pm
Just something to remember when emigrating. If you emigrate and continue working especially for yourself, you can often claim relocating costs from Tax.
In my case I will be able to claim up to 52 percent of expenses of relocating from taxman.
Of course if you pay yourself. Often companies will sponsor if you transfer or often even a new employer will pay relocation costs.
And.... UK allows GBP 8000 per year as tax free relocation allowance for year 1 where the company can fund and nil tax if you are self employed and will be working there... then you can rent a room out to a tenant and get an additional GBP 7500 tax free if you are a low income earner... very low admittedly but even if not there are some good benefits...
Gerard Schultz
Rolling
Closest Airfield: So many to choose from
Location: Charleston SC, USA and Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

Unread post by Gerard Schultz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 pm

As someone said on this thread (Immigration), it's not where you go that matters but who you are.

That's the crux of it. Living in Manhattan for the past 5 years. Good lifestyle, and the flying is fantastic. Bought a plane again last year and finished my FAA commercial on the side (finally done with CAA!).

Flew back last week after spending two weeks with the family meters from the ocean at a spot near Knysna. Was mightly depressed back on day 1 here. The lifestyle in SA is incredible.

But it's the small stuff that I simply cannot deal with. I worked my ass off to get where I am. Meritocracy is my religion. BEE and all the nonsense around it will remain a complete deal-breaker for me in SA. I sold everything I had to pay for an MBA from a top school in the US. When you then see complete moegoes fake their matric certs to get paid millions for ruining our institutions you know it's not a place for anyone of any competence.

Additionally the fact that any sense of pride for white South Africans are just wiped off the map is not something I'm willing to support with tax money. (Rename Jan Smuts, ignore SAAF 100th anniversary, shut down Afrikaans at Stellenbosch Univ - the list doesn't stop).

The profession differs but this, from the immigration thread, is why I left SA.
"It is nowise foolish to tilt at windmills. Providing you learn to knock them down." - Jeff Cooper
vanjast
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: 200

Unread post by vanjast » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:10 am

Too add to the Mirror.

Sent emails to 4 possibilities, got a few replies and set the dates.
Went on a 'short holiday', interviews... chose 1 and set the 'return date'.
Went home(CT), cleaned, packed up and left...

Six month probation period reduced to two months, made permanent with a request not to return to SA.
I just laughed and said.. 'You really do not have to worry about that'. :lol:

Am I happy - Damn Sure, and NO regrets.
Have I made the right decision - Oh YES.. it's laughable just to ask the question.
Will I return - Unlikely as there are plenty more interesting places to visit (and cheaper too), maybe when I'm bored and with money to waste.

The System:-
a) It works like a well oiled machine.
b) The law bites you hard if you cross the line (or backchat) - Love this.
c) Public transport works, punctual and is CLEAN.
d) NO TAXIS (Not One = Utopia), except the legal (well behaved) ones :lol:
e) People are mostly fine, educated and easy going. An attitude here and there, but no mass density.
f) Standard of living is much the same and in many respects cheaper than SA., It's a balancing act.

So.. =D> =D> =D>

Return to “123.45”