Has liked: 0
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Emigration options

Unread post by Whirly » Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 pm

paulw wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:37 am
Whirly wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm
My partner moved to Portugal because it is safe, the infrastructure is great and the medical care top notch. He has had a taste of the medical facilities there and came away smiling. Now HJK tells me that Spain is rated higher than Portugal for that, great news!

Whirly.
Hi Whirly

What parts of Portugal is he living in?
Frans,

His address is : Quinta Beirao, Favela Nova, Qurique.

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by paulw » Mon May 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Whirly wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 pm
paulw wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:37 am
Whirly wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm
My partner moved to Portugal because it is safe, the infrastructure is great and the medical care top notch. He has had a taste of the medical facilities there and came away smiling. Now HJK tells me that Spain is rated higher than Portugal for that, great news!

Whirly.
Hi Whirly

What parts of Portugal is he living in?
Frans,

His address is : Quinta Beirao, Favela Nova, Qurique.

Whirly.
Dankie
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon May 06, 2019 4:14 pm

We just said our goodbyes to my stepdaughter, her husband and 6 month old son at ORT.
Bound for NZ to start a new life.
It has hammered my wife very hard as they have been staying with us for the past week and Saturday and Sunday were the bon voyage days for family and friends.
We are now home to an empty nest.

We wish the kids well :smt039
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Mon May 06, 2019 4:54 pm

Where to in NZ ? Whirly children, mine We, Johan Lok daughter are there if they need a hand or shoulder.
Hugo.
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon May 06, 2019 5:15 pm

hugo_visser wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:54 pm
Where to in NZ ? Whirly children, mine We, Johan Lok daughter are there if they need a hand or shoulder.
Hugo.
That's the Hugo I know. Heart like a front end loader's bucket =D>

They will be in Tauranga.
They should be OK as his parents arrived there last month. They moved into a rented home over the weekend.
Long time Cygnet builder
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Mon May 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Cool We are also there. My children in Papamoa. Send info ( tel, e mail,new tel no, address in Trng ) and they can join the Jan Viljoen facebook group. Lots of info and social on it. If they are idle waiting around for visas I can keep them occupied helping unloading Alouette III "s, It helps to prevent going bossies waiting for something. Started a business there UGO earthworks limited. Now the preparation
030.jpg
and the TLB to arrive in the container. Sorry off topic but one has to help and support each other. The adjustment cycle runs over 2 years normally, honeymoon, reality and heartbroken, recovery, finding your feet and your sails start filling with wind to sail strong. The beginning waiting for something like a visa while your rand get eaten away quickly, R 60 000 to R 100 000 in the first 3 months while you can not work or do anything because everybody else is working, sitting alone in a rental. That is when you panic and go bossies.
Hugo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author hugo_visser for the post:
Fransw
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon May 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Thank you Hugo. Will pass your message on when they arrive. =D>
Long time Cygnet builder
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Tue May 07, 2019 8:12 pm

hugo_visser wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:32 pm
The adjustment cycle runs over 2 years normally, honeymoon, reality and heartbroken, recovery, finding your feet and your sails start filling with wind to sail strong.
Yeah, my wife just went straight to reality and heartbroken so the rest should go quickly :D
Missed her family and don't like the cold but fortunately it is getting summer.
But yes, I actually saw a little picture showing exactly this, the stages from arrival to being content and settled.
hugo_visser wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:32 pm
The beginning waiting for something like a visa while your rand get eaten away quickly, R 60 000 to R 100 000 in the first 3 months while you can not work or do anything because everybody else is working, sitting alone in a rental. That is when you panic and go bossies.
Hugo
Thats no lie :(
I had to keep two homes going for about 2-3 months and still winding down SA with most accounts closed that side.
Often forgotten is this aspect and not only the costs of moving. I rented a car for exactly 3 months to the day before I got my car. In hindsight should just have bitten the bullet and buy one immediately but there were other priorities.
That renting was about R50k on its own besides other expenses.
But then, it could have been prevented by buy car immediately even if cheappie and or be on public transport route (which I am not) etc.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Fri May 10, 2019 1:46 pm

@HJK or others who might know....

Going to Spain or Portugal?

What is the actual requirements if you go as EU citizen as in my case but with South African Spouse?

I know I can just go to these countries and wife can go with and need to register, etc, but I see things like Birth and Marriage certificates need to be translate to Portugese for Portugal and not older than three months etc. Don't know about Spain yet, still checking.

Does that apply in my case too or only people who go on Work Visas?

I think all non-EU?

And then what if you get a Golden Visa? Will you still require the translated documents and less than three months?

I can't find a good source on the requirements yet especially Spain.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by rainier » Fri May 10, 2019 2:15 pm

Paulw,

You are in the same boat I am in. My wife is SA citizen and I hold German as well as SA citizenship. I have a EU passport. Information received from the German embassy should be similar for your case. Firstly, as long as you are legally married in SA your spouse gets an immediate Visa at no cost. Once in Germany (in this case) the first thing to do is to apply for permanent residence which will be granted immediately (you need proof of residency such as a rental agreement etc and have to register where you will be staying like any other German has to do by law).
There is also a fast track to citizenship - your spouse must be resident in Germany for three years (does not have to be full time but there are some minimums).
I would imagine Spain and Portugal may have small differences but should be by and large the same.

Try Google - plenty of helpful websites with good info and guidance on these issues. I simply emailed the embassy with some questions and they responded fast and extremely helpful.
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Fri May 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks Ranier
Yes, what you described is true in general and according to EU Treaty Freedom of Movement my wife must be accepted and get residence ie in Ireland where I am now with Dutch passport although each country have minor additional requirements.
Ireland require you have a job, self suffiecient or at least looking for a job. Not sure about the other countries. Ireland want copies of Birth and Marriage certificates but not Police crimenal certicate although Portugal do.

Been googling and joined facebook groups on Portugal but cant find much on Spain.

So it is the nitty gritty I am looking for. I think the best is to find an Embassy or Consulate in Ireland as circumstances might also be different whether you come from SA or a third country. Not sure if it is the case.

I am also looking at the option you mentioned about my wife getting the Dutch citizenship after three years here but she doesnt want to do the exam required and at least Ireland dont require an exam but thats then only after living here five years. And she will need to proof she actually lived here ie show activity on bank accounts, not just debit orders, proof of residence, etc.
Gabiddy
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: ATH
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Gabiddy » Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 am

Spain is a really nice place to live, been there 4 times and for retirement it's perfect. The only thing is siestas that bothers me when even pharmacies are closed :D I found this article about visas, residence permits and citizenship in Spain, might be of good help to you.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Gabiddy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 am
Spain is a really nice place to live, been there 4 times and for retirement it's perfect. The only thing is siestas that bothers me when even pharmacies are closed :D I found this article about visas, residence permits and citizenship in Spain, might be of good help to you.
Thanks , they do have a bit more detailed info.
These users liked the author paulw for the post:
Gabiddy
Gabiddy
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: ATH
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Gabiddy » Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 am

paulw wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Gabiddy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 am
Thanks , they do have a bit more detailed info.
you are welcome!
kudu177
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by kudu177 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:26 pm
Scuttlebutt has it that there are interesting opportunities opening up in China for self-employed individuals, eg, attorneys, chartered accountants, management consultants, etc.

Not for the internal Chinese market but catering to the ex-pat and international trade market between China and Africa.

Just have to learn Mandarin at one of the pressure-cooker lanaguage schools ...
I’d rather live in DRC than China :roll:
Nav is a good life lesson: pick a point on the horizon and go there

Return to “123.45”