Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by SlowApproach » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Eish. Load shedding back in full swing. Due to "System Emergency"...
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
viki
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by viki » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:41 pm

So when will the plants start to blow up ?
snoopy
Power off Glide
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 6 times

Unread post by snoopy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Their own greed and piss poor decision making has led to this...that is the "system emergency" as is the case with most SOE at the moment.

All these notices and bailout requests is just exposing how poor they are at what they are meant to "do" . Yet they owe an allegiance to this country and its people as state companies. But selling us out...led to this.

Their product is simply overpriced...and they owe the SA consumer billions.
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SlowApproach » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Yup. And the BS about "wet coal" could be rearing its dumbass head again, as an additional excuse:
Earlier this month, the company said 10 out of 15 coal-fired power stations were experiencing supply shortages. Its coal stockpiles now also face the added risk of getting wet from summer rains.
from : https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south- ... announced/

Also, coincidentally?
"A massive new solar power station has come to life in the South African desert"
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/a-mas ... ca-2018-11
Last edited by SlowApproach on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoopy
Power off Glide

Unread post by snoopy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Nobody wants to do a real root cause analysis of this - because it will expose the truth...and that will hurt.

Remember that ESKOM put down the initial funding on mines for some skelms, who are not delivering on product, yet ESKOM knew from the onset (years ago) - that putting down that initial funding would lock them into long term contracts with scheisters.

Now they pleading for the national treasury to bail them out with THEIR CONSUMERS tax money, consumers which they overcharging and are in turn load shedding...because of the SOEs past dealings.

Pitty its not a few centuries ago - then the consumers could have shot such poor decision makers by firing squad or hung them in public.
Last edited by snoopy on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by rainier » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Interesting how this coincides with the recent announcement by the City of Cape Town that all solar installations (even those not connected to the grid) must be registered by 28th of February 2019 or face heavy fines and disconnection and possibly imprisonment.

Now- this is not a simple registration - had a bit of a look - it's quite a process and very few installations I suspect will be able to get approval as their equipment does not appear on the Cities list of approved devices...

If this carries on I think it would be a good idea to learn how to rub two sticks together to light a fire. It may become a useful skill.
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
snoopy
Power off Glide

Unread post by snoopy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:15 pm

presies rainier...

ESKOM volgens huidige wetgewing het nogsteeds die monopolie op krag verkope...hulle hou nie van kompetisie nie. Dis duidelik. Onthou ook dat Stad Kaapstad 'n "reseller" is van ESKOM krag, maw, 'n "verkoops agent" vir ESKOM krag.

Nou wil hulle weet wie hul potensieele kompetisie gaan wees.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 pm

snoopy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:15 pm
presies rainier...

ESKOM volgens huidige wetgewing het nogsteeds die monopolie op krag verkope...hulle hou nie van kompetisie nie. Dis duidelik. Onthou ook dat Stad Kaapstad 'n "reseller" is van ESKOM krag, maw, 'n "verkoops agent" vir ESKOM krag.

Nou wil hulle weet wie hul potensieele kompetisie gaan wees.
Interesting if you want to actually feed in your excess solar energy into the grid - they make provision for this. First you need to get your system approved (as mentioned - that is a process that is going to cost you a bit provided you have all the right equipment signed off by the right people). I spoke to one of the big installers here - he says he does not know anybody that succeeded.
So, assume you do succeed. You have to get the City to install a bi-directional meter (quotes range to about R10.000 I am told). You get put on a different tariff. You now have to pay the City a daily fixed charge. You get roughly half of what you pay for each KWh you take for each KWh you give back. You however may not feed back more than a very small amount (something like 3KWh per phase). So - working the numbers - you have no chance of ever showing a profit so it is actually better to not sell your electricity.
So Snoopy - I think you are dead on - they don't want you to make your own power...
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SlowApproach » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Snoopy, you hit the nail on the head. As more and more people go partly off-grid or even totally, CoT (and others sure to follow) won't be able to rely on their convenient "middle man" situation for income, because then they might actually have to work to earn it.

BTW, regarding the CoT's requirements & threats regarding solar installations, can anyone point us to the published council minutes where this was proposed, discussed and ratified - and by whom (i.e. the individuals involved)?

If it is supposedly to ensure that "the connections are safe, and does not interfere with the quality of electricity supply", doesn't this actually fall under the ambit, through national legislation, of the *registered electrician* who installs (and must install) the system and who must also issue a CoC (Certificate of Compliance) for the installation or installation amendments?
snoopy
Power off Glide

Unread post by snoopy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:50 pm

once you register your off-grid system, its flagged, and they will know who to charge a supply levy - even if they you supply squat, and CANNOT supply you a single Watt.

Securing money for jam... as a proxy of the utility "supplier"...who at this rate is going to be a "wannabe" supplier soon.
Last edited by snoopy on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Negative on the council details Slow,

The safety aspect is used as believable excuse (as there is a little truth to that). It seems the city can indeed impose this until such time Nersa gets its act together (you will remember the outcry in may this year when they had the bright idea to tax you on your panels and even generators).

It seems Cape Town insists on equipment that is approved to NRS097 while most other municipalities are quite happy with the similar G59. That limits the equipment you can use quite a bit - for example if you happen to have a battery or DC based inverter (rather than a grid tie that is in the list) you are out of luck. There are only three smallish ones listed that have only just become available.

I think this is going to annoy a few Capetonians...

SlowApproach wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 pm
Snoopy, you hit the nail on the head. As more and more people go partly off-grid or even totally, CoT (and others sure to follow) won't be able to rely on their convenient "middle man" situation for income, because then they might actually have to work to earn it.

BTW, regarding the CoT's requirements & threats regarding solar installations, can anyone point us to the published council minutes where this was proposed, discussed and ratified - and by whom (i.e. the individuals involved)?

If it is supposedly to ensure that "the connections are safe, and does not interfere with the quality of electricity supply", doesn't this actually fall under the ambit, through national legislation, of the *registered electrician* who installs (and must install) the system and who must also issue a CoC (Certificate of Compliance) for the installation or installation amendments?
snoopy
Power off Glide

Unread post by snoopy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:56 pm

And CPT council will force the power supply levy (as justifiable) on all paying customers, because of the small hydro generator they have as excuse (Steenbras) ...which cannot supply most of CPT at all, nor can it sustain as a power source for a long period. But they wont be lying that they can "supply" power independently from ESKOM ...political semantics. The little loop holes...just like with the Water Act, they just need to supply a bare minimum..which is f#K@L plus a Watt. :twisted:
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 pm

As you may have gathered I fall under City of Cape Town and have solar at home.
Luckily I went for an off-grid system. Initially it was intended as backup but it turns out that it works so well I now use Eskom as backup. I switch the house to Eskom feed if I want to run aircons or something like that (that flattens my batteries too fast). Sometimes in winter the battery gets a bit of a poor charge and I need to switch to Eskom.
I am seriously considering increasing my installation and telling the City of Cape Town to cut the cable.
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SlowApproach » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:18 pm

re: annoy... how so, Rainier? It is the truth, innit? The council gets the electricity at a discounted bulk rate, adds pretty big markups on top of that to pass on to the consumer. I have to ask, what value (i.e. work) has actually been added to deserve the markup? If it is "electricity infrastructure", I would have to dispute that, because that can or could have been done by Eskom straight-off, or a private entity (which we know would never happen, but that is besides the point).

A simple (simplistic?) analogy perhaps: Take a piece of brass extrusion and machine it into a window latch. Undoubtedly, you've got value-add. However, just take the piece of brass extrusion and sell it on, with a sticker and covered in a bit of plastic and with a big markup, is that value-add?
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Well, if we believe the word on the street - COT needs to mark up the cost to those that pay so those that don't can also get some.
Would not be surprised if COT hardly breaks even overall.

Loosing the ones that pay to alternative power sources is going to be a big problem. But can they really do something about this ? Is this not a case of sticking your finger into the hole of a leaking dam while cracks are rapidly spreading everywhere ?
The remarkable drop in price for solar panels while efficiency is steadily increasing is making solar very attractive to more and more households. When I installed my system I was chuffed to get 250W panels for only R3000. Now 330W panels get advertised at prices below R2000. If you go grid tie the inverter is cheap and you don't use batteries. It's hard not to be tempted.

Electricity supply is no longer Eskom's prerogative. Eskom's antics and steadily rising costs to the consumer coupled with uncertain supply future is not helping.

What we seeing here is just the start of something. Never mind the environmental benefits. COT needs to work with this - not against it. It could buy cheap clean solar energy from its citizens rooftops rather than from Eskom. What is not to like ?

Heck - they can have my excess solar energy for FREE. With my batteries fully charged at 11:00 in the morning all that lovely potential power is just wasted.

Return to “123.45”