Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by SlowApproach » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 am

This has inspired me so much I'm gonna write a song about living in South Africa. It will be entitled: "South Africa in the 21st Century"

Still busy with the lyrics, but so far I have...

rrrRRRRRrrrrRrRrrr rrrrrRRRrrrrr
rrrrrRRRrrrrr

rrrrrRRRrrrrr

[Chorus}
rrrrrRRRrrrrr putputput rrrrRRRRRRrrr
rrrrrRRRrrrrr
putputput rrrrrRRRrrrrr

rrrrrRRRrrrrr

rrrrrRRRrrrrr

The melody will comprise of the sound of hundreds of small generators running in a typical leafy suburb...
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
snoopy
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by snoopy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:55 am

1. The utility's product is +500% overpriced - but they are surprised at their problems?
2. The alternative energy guys (the big IPPs) are rubbing their hands waiting for ESKOM to fail even further (yes this can be engineered by suitable inaction and actions of those with a vested interest in IPPs)
3. There are politicians with stakes in the alternative power business - so obviously there is bias.
4. These players are trying to persuade the existing and paying consumer; of a state utility; to pay even more, because they will benefit from that legislation as stakeholders in IPPs in future. The product is already +500% overpriced as is.
5. These politicians have hedged their financial interests in IPPs via blind trusts, but have insider info to guide the holder of their investment to benefit the whole "stokvel" of relatives and friends.
6. Foreign investors are involved in the IPPs, so naturally they expect RIO in US$ figures. Equivalent to their RIO on their other alternative energy plants in countries like Spain etc.

etc...etc...
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 112 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Last week we were without power 3 times, loadshedding x 2 & then cable theft during the loadsheding.
I ran my genny through a digital ammeter and max consumption was 1.57 Amps at 230 Volts is 361 Watts with 9 outside LED lights, alarm, electric fence, garage door motors, 2 fridge/freezer & 1 chest freezer in standby, microwave, DSTV & LCD TV in standby, 4 LED inside lights.

During cooling the fridge motor draws 0.8 amps & freezer motor draws 0.98 amps, start-up will probably be x 5. They don't usually run at the same time.

I have a 1 kVA CVT inverter which I am repairing & will create a primary buss in my DB board for the low power loads & a secondary buss for kettle, microwave, oven, washing machine, pool pump, workshop power tools, lawnmower to run off Eskom.

The 4 burner stove has been on LPG since Nov 2015.

I will install my geyser solar panels in March.
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 112 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:23 am

Solutions are available but red tape and a FU attitude prevail
http://m.engineeringnews.co.za/article/ ... ep_id:4433
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Johan.botha
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: Dubai
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Johan.botha » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:45 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:45 pm
These work well and if you can adjust your hot water usage cycle and have a smart geyser controller you get the best of both worlds. The geyser only needs to get to 55 deg to kill any bacteria so a lot can be saved by not heating and storing the water at a higher temp.
skytrooper
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by skytrooper » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Johan.botha wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:45 am
Ugly Duckling wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:45 pm
These work well and if you can adjust your hot water usage cycle and have a smart geyser controller you get the best of both worlds. The geyser only needs to get to 55 deg to kill any bacteria so a lot can be saved by not heating and storing the water at a higher temp.
I've read somewhere, i think actually on here that this one guy installed a solar geyser/ grid geyser hybrid, and his power consumption at the end his electricity bill was even more with the solar geyser.
Ubluwulululululu....!
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by rainier » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:18 pm

skytrooper wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:11 pm

I've read somewhere, i think actually on here that this one guy installed a solar geyser/ grid geyser hybrid, and his power consumption at the end his electricity bill was even more with the solar geyser.
That would be unlikely unless somebody really screwed up the installation.

I have a 200 liter using evacuated tubes controlled by a Geyserwise system. For most of the year electricity for the geyser is as near to zero as you can get. Just a couple of days where you need to ask Eskom for some help. In the Cape winter it's different - but even here you still get a huge benefit, just not as much as in summer.
The trick is to setup the Geyserwise so it does not go mad with grid power and heats the water to high temps with grid power before the sun has had a chance to do something.
In my case I run max temps at 65 degrees, have the geyser nicely insulated (that is a must). I only allow Grid power to assist if temps at two in the afternoon are not high enough (I allow grid for up to an hour). Then again at six in the morning it is allowed to use grid for up to one hour if temps are too low for my morning shower.

Works extremely well.
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
Surge
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Surge » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 am

rainier wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:18 pm
That would be unlikely unless somebody really screwed up the installation.
I agree with Rainier - a solar water heater in our country should save you money very easily.

I have a 300 liter flat panel, solar water heater from Suntank. It's an indirect/split system using glycol so the collectors won't get blocked by hard water and debris from the municipal water supply nor will it freeze. Also have a Geyserwise TSE controller.

My electricity consumption dropped from around R1100 per month to around R500 to R600 per month (now avg 300 kWh per month). The solar geyser will pay for itself within 3 to 4 years.
This is for a family of four and a small business running from home.

Return to “123.45”