Immigration - those coming back home - it's your turn.

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO

Immigration - those coming back home - it's your turn.

Unread post by Horace Blok » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 am

In order for some "balance" - We've had (still having) the Emigration thread. Those who have returned back home (past and present) - why did you come back to SA??
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home

Re: Immigration - those coming back home - it's your turn.

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:52 am

Horace Blok wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 am
In order for some "balance" - We've had (still having) the Emigration thread. Those who have returned back home (past and present) - why did you come back to SA??
In order to make it relevant also state when did you come back and if you are convinced you made the right decision. [-o<
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:58 am

Marius Schrenk wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:52 am
Horace Blok wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 am
In order to make it relevant also state when did you come back and if you are convinced you made the right decision. [-o<
I came back to SA from the USA in 1994 after spending 7 years there, I had a green card already. Circumstances made me come back, the death of my business partner in SA and my son were the main reasons. I also came and voted in 1994, went back to the US and decided the time was right to come back. At the time it was the right move but now it is time to leave again, plans are in progress. :)

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:01 pm

One of those types of questions, that if you had yo ask, you would probably not understand.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Horace Blok » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:01 pm
One of those types of questions, that if you had yo ask, you would probably not understand.
Andrew - I have my reasons for asking. Belittling my question to boost your ego is pathetic. Historically, you've stated your case ad nauseam and your ridiculous contribution is just that.. . . . :evil: I expect more from someone of your calibre.
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Horace Blok wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm
ACE MAN wrote:
Andrew - I have my reasons for asking. Belittling my question to boost your ego is pathetic. Historically, you've stated your case ad nauseam and your ridiculous contribution is just that.. . . . :evil: I expect more from someone of your calibre.
Please guy's do not spoil the tread....to some of us it is very important. [-o<
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Horace Blok wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm
ACE MAN wrote:
Sorry Horace - not aimed at you directly , maybe I should have placed "one" instead of "you" in my post and added a few smiley faces. Your personal attack is just that - I do not believe I have posted my case ad-nausea as I don't really care of your opinion of me , as do you obviously. This thread will just be an extension of the one that already exists - so maybe you are just boosting your ego? (I would have the same answer to as - why would one ride a harley - BTW)
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Jel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Ok Not entirely applicable but...

I was living overseas and came back in 2011... was absolutely the right decision at the time. Various reasons, least of all cost of living, was in between jobs (hated where I was at and I resigned without a job - don't say it cant happen to you because frankly speaking depression was setting coming in a big way which was detrimental to my family - DONT think it cant happen to you), needed to gather myself mentally and financially, and again, best decision I made...

Now supposed to leave in February / March... and honestly... having second thoughts right now... Germany for two years.... I would like to stay for another few years and then leave when my children are about to go into university... age 14 I feel is a bad time... just me.
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Best thing I ever did was moving back. Don't regret it for one day and have no intention to depart.
I loved living abroad, learned a lot, but ultimately it wasn't home and I always felt like a square peg in a round hole.
Personally I never intended to leave permanently, but ended up staying longer than intended.
I have been back many times for holiday or business, no matter where in the world I end up, I am always happy to head for the boarding gate and head back home.
Jel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Jel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 pm

cage wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:15 pm
Best thing I ever did was moving back. Don't regret it for one day and have no intention to depart.
I loved living abroad, learned a lot, but ultimately it wasn't home and I always felt like a square peg in a round hole.
Personally I never intended to leave permanently, but ended up staying longer than intended.
I have been back many times for holiday or business, no matter where in the world I end up, I am always happy to head for the boarding gate and head back home.
Where were you and why did you go and why come back :?:
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Jel wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 pm
cage wrote:
Lived in the south east of England. Did a fair amount of work travel from there to US east coast.
Why did I go? Company I worked for had been bought, so that opened doors. The wife to be was hating Cape Town and so many friends and family were on a "get out of SA" mission so there was some FOMO.

Why did we return? The lifestyle wasn't great and was really at odds with what was deeply engrained in us. There was a strong travel culture (work related) so it compromised the work/life balance. The missus started getting panic attacks from stress, so we decided to return and put the experience we gained to better use.
Jel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Jel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:39 pm

cage wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:23 pm
Jel wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 pm
cage wrote:
Lived in the south east of England. Did a fair amount of work travel from there to US east coast.
Why did I go? Company I worked for had been bought, so that opened doors. The wife to be was hating Cape Town and so many friends and family were on a "get out of SA" mission so there was some FOMO.

Why did we return? The lifestyle wasn't great and was really at odds with what was deeply engrained in us. There was a strong travel culture (work related) so it compromised the work/life balance. The missus started getting panic attacks from stress, so we decided to return and put the experience we gained to better use.
So... my thoughts on staying...

We sold our house so now homeless :lol: I would buy a house... people say I am crazy but I refer to cost of housing in places like Dar Es Salaam / Nairobi... its exhorbitant and if there is a feeling that SA will turn out like "just another African country" then housing must still be an investment right :?:

I earn USD... so depreciation of the ZAR is ok :wink:

Less travel - this is a big one... but I would need to give up on an opportunity... but my children have German passports, are studying the language and I will send them to university overseas so there are options...

I might... just might, be more South African than I realise... and I don't mean loving the weather... maybe read this that I don't want my children growing up anything BUT...

Feels like a rock and hard place...
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Horace Blok » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Jel - you raise an interesting observation re housing . . . . . That's a first for me. Good one.
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB

Unread post by savas » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm

watching this thread with great interest and curiosity, nice one Horace.
HJK 414
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: EHTW

Unread post by HJK 414 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Horace Blok wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:49 pm
Jel - you raise an interesting observation re housing . . . . . That's a first for me. Good one.

Horace,

It has happened in a lot of countries up in the central African regions ,
The newly "liberated" powers that be - "remodel" the industrial capacity and economy of the country and everything has to be imported from far - against a costly currency / making decent housing very expensive.
South Africa has a lot of decent housing though and it will take quite some time before the "re-modelling" of the economy is done.
Nothing that will happen in the next decade or more in my view .......

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...

Return to “123.45”