Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ

Global warming

Unread post by MadMacs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 pm

So, apparently yesterday or the day before it was 10 years ago that Al Gore stated that the polar ice caps will completely melt within 5 years due to global warming!!
The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.
heisan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park

Re: Global warming

Unread post by heisan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:22 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 pm
... Al Gore stated that the polar ice caps will completely melt within 5 years due to global warming!!
This is why it is so easy to simply dismiss climate change denialists. Misquoting someone, and out of context at that, to 'prove' that he was wrong...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Skymaster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by Skymaster » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 pm

In 2009 Prince Charles - the royal who chats to his plants - announced in reference to global warming "we have 10 years to save the world."
Jel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:17 am

Skymaster wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 pm
In 2009 Prince Charles - the royal who chats to his plants - announced in reference to global warming "we have 10 years to save the world."
Again in context.... some would say, which I would agree with, we have passed the tipping point, and no matter what we do now its too late... 10 years to make the necessary changes to save the world... :shock: :shock:
Balloothebear
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: FALE

Unread post by Balloothebear » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:07 pm

anyone has recently flown from too or from JKIA in Nairobi will attest....no more ice cap on Africa's beloved Kilimanjaro ...
Maybe they were not that far from the truth!
"Though you cannot go back and make a brand new start,my friend,
You can start now and make a brand new ending"
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Balloothebear wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:07 pm
anyone has recently flown from too or from JKIA in Nairobi will attest....no more ice cap on Africa's beloved Kilimanjaro ...
Maybe they were not that far from the truth!
Must be an illusion, or fake news.
Trying to discuss matters of the environment with those that can't understand the difference between climate and weather is rather futile.

excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani

Unread post by excolonial » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:38 pm

Rather like the absolutes of religion(the views seem equally fanatical in the believer camp), you either believe we are causing climate change or you don't. Denier = Nazi = conversation killer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlICdawHRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1FnWFlDvxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxHfb66ZgM

Believe it or don't, but assuming you are right with any degree of certainty clearly makes you smarter than a man with the nobel prize in physics, apparently...

There is also clear evidence that the 93% of scientists agree that we are causing climate change was a deliberate misrepresentation of the results by some Aussie twit. 69% of the scientists sampled said they were not sure one way or another, of the remaining 31% , 93% of those said we were to blame. I could attach the link that exposes this clown as a charlatan, but at this point I really could not be bothered. Facts will not change beliefs in those who want to believe.

Believe/disbelieve("denier you!!")Who cares frankly, the real polluters are not going to stop, and the world is getting destroyed much faster by pollution and degradation long before the heating effect of our activity will have an real impact.

Al Gore has about as much credibility as charlie chapman.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by cage » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Al gore, movie with "truth" in the title.
Sounds definitive to me.
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ

Unread post by MadMacs » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 pm

excolonial wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:38 pm
Rather like the absolutes of religion(the views seem equally fanatical in the believer camp), you either believe we are causing climate change or you don't. Denier = Nazi = conversation killer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlICdawHRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1FnWFlDvxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxHfb66ZgM

No one picked up on my facetious heading , 'Global warming', it is now known as climate change because there hasn't been any warming!

The crux of this whole climate change thing is to be found at 21:42 in the first video you posted.

You tree huggers are like bible punchers trying to force your one sided view on us, what are you going to do about the three or so volcano's that are currently active because they are busy spewing out more greenhouse gasses than the last 100 years of the industrial revolution?
The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.
heisan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:58 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 pm
The crux of this whole climate change thing is to be found at 21:42 in the first video you posted.
Yikes, I watched the first 10 minutes, then skipped to 21:00 to watch that bit. Could feel my brain cells dying as it went along, so gave up. I was trying to figure out how that speaker could be so incredibly stupid, so I checked his bio on Wikipedia:

"Steven F. Hayward is an American author, political commentator, and policy scholar. He is a senior resident scholar at the Institute of Governmental Studies at UC Berkeley, and a visiting lecturer at Berkeley’s Boalt Hall Law School."

Ah, a political scholar and lawyer - point made. (Sorry Jack - not all lawyers are stupid/immoral - it is just the 90% of them that give the rest of you a bad name...)
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:23 am

I am not a "believer" Madmacs. I am not certain either way. Heisan cherry picking? You are a "believer". Personal choices.The only thing that seems clear to me is that nothing is clear yet. The time sample used is too short, and the results ambiguous.

If all this stuff was not loved by politicians, and linked to increased taxes without any real action I would tend to be a little less cynical about it.Anyone who has seen Indonesia/Malaysia from the air will be very very cynical about the intentions of any of these liars to do the right thing.) I have smelled and been a victim of the wholesale destruction of the environment by large corporations and bent politicians. Nothing was said by ANYONE in authority.

If you still trust any of these guys no matter which side they purport to be on, then you are heading for a fall. The UN love it - they are one of the most demonstrably corrupt organisations that exist today. When they ban plastic production, enforce proper recycling, and stop pumping human waste directly into the oceans I will start to become a "believer".
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
dany
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: moscow

Unread post by dany » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 am

People get on stage and yep yep about all they think can make then famous in their 20 to 30 minutes on the highest rock in the cabbage patch. For me, the scientists and researchers that go dig around in the past, is the ones that shine light in my eyes. Not going to repeat,as I in the past posted endless videos that was made about research on happenings in the lifespan of Mother earth, from proof that the poles did flip before, to extreme hot cycles earth went through. Now how can one argue against clear visible facts right in front of you. The bankers hijack the kinds of the peasants or let me say, most of them, long time ago. It is all about money, and they give jackshit what happen to the planet or for the matter, peasants on the street, as long as they can hand over their money at the end of the month, then all is happy. In short, whoever think he/she/they can change the cycles of nature, is in short a IDIOT.

Now talk about pollution where actual materials in the form of waste is involve, and the matter change change drastically. But in the field we are miles better off then even 10 years ago.

An interesting story about a extinct "Volcano". Lot of research was done on this specific area, and some reports covering up to 500 pages. Most paid for by geologists exploring for minerals/oil. And for all the years these reports was the Alpha and omega of the story. Some scientists wrote his ideas about it,and all others follow his/her foot prints and the history of this "volcano' was now set. How old and what all. Many moons later somebody by accident stumble upon some fossils on the top of this "volcano". In all the years before, nobody looked for fossils,as the mindset was on minerals and what possible financial gain can come from. Now come the problem. The first reports say that the age is /was around 80 million years ago(or the happenings that created the mountain). The new found fossils say different. That takes us back 150 million years. No way in hell would the fossils survive a volcanic process. So, who do we believe now. I lean towards things that my eyes can see, I can tough with my hands. Oh and another problem, some scholars earned their PHD, S on the research,now about to be proven wrong by a couple of fossils. Should they hand in their PHD, S ?
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by cage » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:15 am

Climate issues aren't a belief, its not a religion.
It is a peer reviewed topic based on science, and while there are some fringe people making youtube videos for the masses it does not stand up to scrutiny.
Politicians have seen to muddy the waters for financial gain.
No matter how you slice and dice it our environment is in a mess and we're destroying this planet mainly because of greed and ignorance.
I will trust in science any day ahead of the politician,lobbyist or environmental group.
dany
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: moscow

Unread post by dany » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:42 am

Fully agree, but there is also a twist in the tale regarding scientific research. Many older scientific reports are now wiped off the table,as new instruments come on board and where a report was used as the base on which many that follow, got their education on, is now in doubt due to some facts becoming known that previously was unknown or just simply impossible to do.. Like when the first research was done, all was analysed by a x900 microscope,compare to a full research based on the actual DNA today.. And it is this muddy patch that now become the breeding ground for a lot of the issues we have today.

In the past, samples had to be taken to a lab,sometimes flying half way around the world. Now we have that lab in our hand, right on the site. It helps,as in the past, a simple story got many tales while the samples travel. And I think, the believers in the climate change story is busy feeling the brunt of all this development, as more people have now access to better and modern equipment, and a single report will not hold water like it did some time ago.

The best example of this is the people now studying the core samples that is taken around the world from earth,and can be analyzed right on the site and immediately, as before, they had to lay in wait in a lab many miles away for sometimes years.

Take for instance the construction industry. Only in the last 5 years the true culprit behind failures in some buildings has been absolute positively identified, where before, the theory that was used to explain it in general,was accepted all around the world. Now with new instruments that is a hand held lab, we know differently. And it will take another 10-15 years to change the work process to prevent this from happening,as the mindset is sooo deeply embedded, that like religion,hard to change. even when presented with hard core facts.

The new breed of instruments like this one is now second to dogs, man,s best friend. Our first one paid for itself on the first job.

heisan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:53 am

41046562_10214648089849141_7002194614140534784_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)

Return to “123.45”