Rolling
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Renault Duster?

Unread post by Splat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 am

I just got rid of my Renault 6 months ago... =D> =D> =D>

The Duster...
I can only comment that I overheard one Duster owner unhappy because he bought the 4x2 petrol and should have gone Hilux.

Renault...
If you're buying new you're possibly going to have some issues under maintenance plan. Renault love changing brake discs every second service and the plan guys don't like paying. Hopefully limited to the Clio only.

Check where your service options are. In Cape Town everything is handled by Multifranchise and the okes have to drive far to get their vehicles there.

It won't help much checking the maintenance pricing ahead of time, between my second and third service the prices doubled.

Other than the above, my vehicle was never completed on time 3/4 times. Feedback from the service department wasn't great either.

Maintenance...
I shall give you a scenario -
Renault Clio 900 turbo
Replace front brakes
Oil Service
R8100.00 out of plan
Rgds
George
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 81 times

Unread post by heisan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 am

cage wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 am
heisan wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:41 pm
Or for the same price as a ten year old Toyota, you can get a 2 year old Renault, with 5 years still to run on the warranty...
PM BigglesSA, I am sure he could source something decent for you.
How do the Koreans compare pricewise?
The only equivalent Korean car (which I can find) is the Kia Sportage, which costs about R50k more than an equivalent used Duster. Also uses around 40% more fuel (~R600 p/m more).

All the Korean cars are also imported (along with Renault) by Imperial. So parts supply and dealership standards will have the same problems.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by heisan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Just went to go test drive one.

Surprisingly spacious:
11191.jpg
Fits a 40L Engel quite comfortably, with lots of packing space left.

Much better low down torque than current car (probably helped by short 1st gear, given that it has half the power). Powerful enough around town. Comfortably holds 132kph on highway, even on fair hills - but overtaking acceleration from 132 up is non-existent...

Low road/engine noise, but lots of wind noise. Comfortable driving position (also better than current car). Surprising amount of features for a 'cheapie'.

Seems to be a really good option all round. Only real issue is that it is a Renault (very poor local parts support, etc.).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by rare bird » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:50 pm

Justin, stop trying to justify why you should go back on your original philosophy (French girls, but not French cars!) :wink:
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 pm

heisan wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:42 pm
Just went to go test drive one.

Surprisingly spacious:
11191.jpg
Fits a 40L Engel quite comfortably, with lots of packing space left.

Much better low down torque than current car (probably helped by short 1st gear, given that it has half the power). Powerful enough around town. Comfortably holds 132kph on highway, even on fair hills - but overtaking acceleration from 132 up is non-existent...

Low road/engine noise, but lots of wind noise. Comfortable driving position (also better than current car). Surprising amount of features for a 'cheapie'.

Seems to be a really good option all round. Only real issue is that it is a Renault (very poor local parts support, etc.).
Justin

Here is the proof off my opening post reply.. We went everywhere that the other types went and even where some couldn't and broke down (I won't mention brands) Thick pan mud, rocks, desert sand, rivers(okay smallish ones)...
Will it do it towing something...doubt it. We were packed inside to the gills as well as a fully laden Thule.
No noticeable change in fuel consumption and I never got driver anything(I am 6'2)

You will not regret it (Diesel 1.5 4WD) Not 4x4

As for service... That all depends on the "servers"

W
IMG_3811.JPG
IMG_3890.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
kudu177
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by kudu177 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 pm

One of my colleagues is now the reluctant owner of a Duster which he has only just got back from the agents who spent six months trying to fix a problem.

Not sure what the issue was -- will ask, if you want more.
Nav is a good life lesson: pick a point on the horizon and go there
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by heisan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm

kudu177 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 pm
One of my colleagues is now the reluctant owner of a Duster which he has only just got back from the agents who spent six months trying to fix a problem.

If you can find out, that will be great - but don't worry if it will be a hassle in any way...

Thanks,
Justin
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
kudu177
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by kudu177 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:19 pm

heisan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm
kudu177 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 pm

If you can find out, that will be great - but don't worry if it will be a hassle in any way...

Thanks,
Justin
OK, here's the story. Brand-new diesel Duster began losing power. Off to dealer, says it's a faulty cat. They take out the cat and send it off for repairs which take two weeks.

Cat bolted back on. Car now starts smoking, like a volcano, even through the vents while stationary.

Back to dealer. Must be the turbo, says dealer -- let's get a recon turbo. Remember that this is a new vehicle and is still under warranty. Few weeks later, car is returned. Still losing power, still smoking.

Owner takes it to another dealership which keeps the vehicle for FOUR months while "troubleshooting" the problem.

Finally, this dealer agrees that the problem IS the turbo, and replace it with a NEW item.

The car went to the first dealer on 21 April. The owner got it back -- finally fixed -- on 23 September.

The problem is not the car so much as dealers refusing to honour the warranty, cutting corners to save bucks by NOT replacing faulty parts with new parts.
Nav is a good life lesson: pick a point on the horizon and go there
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by heisan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm

kudu177 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:19 pm
The problem is not the car so much as dealers refusing to honour the warranty, cutting corners to save bucks by NOT replacing faulty parts with new parts.
I suppose that is the real problem. Seems to be a great car, but cr@p dealer network. Exactly the issue I am trying to get away from...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 114 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 pm

heisan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm
kudu177 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I suppose that is the real problem. Seems to be a great car, but cr@p dealer network. Exactly the issue I am trying to get away from...
You could also consider if such a great car should have such a problem to begin with when new?
Lemons aren't unique to the french but they do seem to have earned a reputation, though in this instance it is the Romanians which, as we know, are famous for vampires, Ceausescu, gypsies and some of the newest hooligans on UK streets :mrgreen:
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by heisan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 pm

cage wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 pm
You could also consider if such a great car should have such a problem to begin with when new?
Lemons aren't unique to the french but they do seem to have earned a reputation, though in this instance it is the Romanians which, as we know, are famous for vampires, Ceausescu, gypsies and some of the newest hooligans on UK streets :mrgreen:
Not sure if that is really such an issue. All first gen engines had teething issues... VAG 2.0TDIs shredded oil pump drives, and their 2.0TFSI - well lets not even talk about that. Toyota RAV4s popped head gaskets regularly, etc...

The 1.5dci engine is used across the whole Renault and Nissan range, and now also in Mercedes A class - so I assume the engine is basically sound (now).
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:59 pm

...Justin maybe look at the Mitsubishi ASX or the Mazda CX5 - think it is also Imperial but the services are much better?
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:02 pm

cage wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 pm
Lemons aren't unknown in any marque. Wife had a convertible Audi which from brand new was in the workshop at least once every two months, with parts for the top thingie (whatever it's called) having to be imported from Germany aus three times before we cried Uncle and sold it on at a loss just to get rid of the rubbish. Kind of put us off fancy cars (although that's a bit simplistic being a short version - other German cars - 1 x Mercedes & 2 x Porsche - were also involved in that eventual decision).

Since then 3 x Land Cruisers and 2 x Corollas have never given us a moment's hassle - go figure!
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 114 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:02 pm
Lemons aren't unknown in any marque.
Indeed, said as much.
Everyone has horror stories.
Friends and colleagues have had nightmares with Landrover, BMW, Hyundai and toyota (they're not as reliable as they used to be).
Touch wood, on the selection of Germans I have had I haven't had many issues, mainly lazy service from time to time but generally on the 4-rings they have been good.

Ultimately the stones said it the best
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by heisan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:06 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:59 pm
...Justin maybe look at the Mitsubishi ASX or the Mazda CX5 - think it is also Imperial but the services are much better?
CX5 would be great - but they are more scarce than RAV4... And nobody seems to sell either until they have a LOT of kms on...

Mitsubishi did now bring the AWD ASX into SA.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)

Return to “123.45”