Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Smart phone

Unread post by Jack Welles » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am

Every so often see negative comments about smart phones so would like to give my 1 cent. Curious to know how others find/use them.

Wasn't interested in having one but fairly recently wife wanted to upgrade to a Huawei and so I inherited her Samsung J5 which I (reluctantly) started to use instead of my old Nokia.

What a revelation. The first major shift was that I no longer have to have a torch handy because the smart phone does the job.

I now use it for (in no particular order) clock, calendar, timer, alarm, stopwatch, calculator, torch, camera, vidcam, voice recorder, weather report, phone, whatsapp messages, sms, map reading and that's just for starters.

Haven't linked it to email so that doesn't follow me around. Don't make many calls with it (preferring landline with notepad/info etc handy) so just use a pay-as-u-go, so cost is really minimal, maybe R10-R20/per month (guessing).

Really like the little computer, handy, always in my pocket, use it multiple times a day for all sorts.
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Smart phone

Unread post by cage » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am

it is smartphone (one word) as opposed to a clever phone ;)

Welcome to 2007 :mrgreen:
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am

....now Jack, if you start to make calls and connect your e-mails, those long days at the beach (not Clifton) and jogging around Camps Bay will quickly become a reality - yes as frustrating as they can be, so handy are they, you as operator needs to pace yourself as and when to be available :D :D
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Shallowpig
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: FAAP
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Shallowpig » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 am

I've set my phone to switch to "Night-mode" at set times.
This ensures that family time stays family time and no calls/sms's/whatsapp's interrupts and disturbs. I don't need to remember - it happens automatically every time.

During the day it's a wonderful tool - but unless properly managed - it does become a nuisance.

Jaco

I use an Apple product - but I'm sure all of the smartphones have this functionality.
Jaco Barnard
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by cage » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 am

Shallowpig wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 am
I've set my phone to switch to "Night-mode" at set times.
I do the same on my apple, in fact sometimes set limits on how much some apps can be used.
At night the phone is quiet unless important numbers call.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Some more useful things I use it for:
Uber - makes life very easy.
Navigating - with Google maps.
Paying with Snapscan or Zapper if I forgot my cards.
Some say phones will eventually replace credit/debit cards. Only thing is if your battery runs low, phone is lost/broken/stolen you are screwed.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH and Morningstar
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by SaraLima » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi Eddie.. and to echo Cage's comment - welcome to 2007.

If, however, you want to join us in 2019, then add the following functionality (All available on the J5).

1. Samsung Health app - track your activity (running, walking, idle time etc.), calorie intake, sleep cycles, weight management, heart rate, get prompts to improve your activity and exercise regimes and get regular reports as well as a discount from your Medical Aid company.
2. Auto Tracker/Location. Tracks where you are via GPS and gives prompts, info and updates as you travel/walk/run etc. It also allows you to rate restaurants and other services so you can immediately check the ratings of a restaurant before you spend your wad there.
3. S voice or Google voice. You will no longer have to type on that minuscule keyboard, simply just say "Whatsapp message to SaraLima" speak your message and respond to the spoken prompts. - Or say " Set event Haircut for nine ay emm on twenty fifth January and alarm one hour prior" and it will remind you an hour before the time.. etc etc etc.
4. Truecaller ID - Any incoming call or message identifies the caller/sender onscreen irrespective of whether they are in your address book or not. It also identifies spam calls or messages and allows you to block the number - No more calls from SABC about your TV licence :wink:
5. Google translate. Self explanatory.. allows instant translation from English into perfect Serbocroat, or any other of about 100 languages.
6. Waze. GPS-Based navigation app which alerts you to: a) Traffic slowdowns or jams b) Speedcop activity or 'red light' cameras etc. It also allows people you're visiting to track your ETA and follow your progress so that they cool the beer with plenty of time to spare.
7. Shazam. Recognises virtually any song after only a few bars and gives you full onscreen details of the song title, artist etc. (If you have voice, it reads it out to you)
8. Flipboard. Checks your news interests (current affairs, finance, literature, travel etc) and compiles quick reading lists so you only get the news or news channels that interests you.
9. Do not disturb Mode. Allows you to set "private time" parameters into the phone when it won't ring or beep and will only take soundless messages. You can also set "filters' or a list of people who are allowed to break through. they come through as normal calls/messages etc.

There are many many more, but I'm not sure if they will work on the J5.
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
I was flying in uniform when you were still in liquid form :wink:
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by cage » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:08 pm

SaraLima wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:46 pm

3. S voice or Google voice. You will no longer have to type on that minuscule keyboard, simply just say "Whatsapp message to SaraLima" speak your message and respond to the spoken prompts. - Or say " Set event Haircut for nine ay emm on twenty fifth January and alarm one hour prior" and it will remind you an hour before the time.. etc etc etc.
Is that why your writing is so bad, damn Sammy the Sung. :twisted:

To add some apps:
Internet banking
whatsapp for messaging and calls
yr.no for weather (probably has a korean weather app already)
xe.net (for currency rates)
tripadvisor (reasonable for restaurants etc)
Spotify (streaming music)
various apps for managing accounts like MyEskom, Discovery health etc
If your predictive text is rubbish, try SwiftKey
Audible (audio books)
vivino (like shazam but for wine)

Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 pm

cage wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Does this mean that the Rand will soon be R200/$1?
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 0

Unread post by SlowApproach » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:44 pm

...and with all the time spent mucking about with- and managing all the "productivity" apps on your little FRED (F.ing Ridiculous Electronic Device) you soon discover that you have very little time left to actually do anything useful :twisted:
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
Clinton01
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp

Unread post by Clinton01 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Has anyone tried the SPO2 sensor on the Samsung Note to monitor their O2 whilst flying at altitude?
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SaraLima » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:03 pm

Clinton01 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:54 pm
Has anyone tried the SPO2 sensor on the Samsung Note to monitor their O2 whilst flying at altitude?
Yeah... its dull average.. wouldn't trust it. Its about as useful as squeezing a thumbnail :wink: :lol:
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SaraLima » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:08 pm

cage wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:08 pm

yr.no for weather (probably has a korean weather app already) - A good call.. I use yr.no all the time.. its bang on accurate :smt023

If your predictive text is rubbish, try SwiftKey - Yeah ok .. but "Swype" is better methinks. :wink:

vivino (like shazam but for wine) - A good call :smt023
And as for your comment about my writing.. it's mainly that bad because I gear it specifically so that you won't be intimidated by real English :wink: - I know I shouldn't aim at a single reader, but sadly I do. :(

Return to “123.45”