Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

kudu177
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rand

Regrets, I have a few

Unread post by kudu177 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:23 pm

I found a bunch of my old high school reports in the garage and spent a day reading them. Turns I wasn't a hopeless kid after all but, wow, plenty of unfulfilled potential in those dry pages. Got me thinking about the things I most regret NOT doing.

1. Not sticking with my piano lessons, because I was too lazy to practice, and giving up, aged 15, after I had been playing for five years.
2. Not buying Horace's beautiful Piper Colt, when the time was right and the money was there ...
3. Not saying "yes" to the the Vietnamese engine crew who offered me a free ride in the cab of their snorting steam loco on a night freight from the port of Haiphong to Hanoi, all because I knew it would take all night and I didn't want to miss out on the action with my mates in Hanoi (there wasn't any :roll: )
4. Not sailing on from Luderitz to St Helena island aboard the sailing ship Picton Castle after I had already voyaged from Cape Town on the same ship ...
5. Not saying "YES!" to the beautiful girl who shucked off all her kit in the warm afternoon sun at a secret waterfall near Pilgrim's Rest one day and said ...! (I told her she was crazy, go figure)
6. Not sticking up my hand right away when the instructor came into our tent at SAAF Gym during the first week of basics and said "Wie wil Luglaai toe?" ("Who wants to be an air loadmaster?") We had already learned the opvok way to NOT put our hands up for anything; the one oke who did got the best NSM job you could have in the SAAF.
7. Not trying when they started offering us Zulu lessons at junior school.
8. Not going to my best mate's wedding when he got hitched at a fantastic four-day party in Delhi, India. Too wrapped up in my own <<moderated - language>>.
9. Not even *trying* to get a spot on the PBY on the ferry flight from Rand to the USA a couple of years ago.(Apparently I could have flown a couple of legs with them as a reporter - if I'd asked ...)
10. Not jamming a big, fat crowbar to the crack of opportunity when I got an unpaid job as a boom swinger / location sound assistant on a movie in London. It would have got me into the movie biz, one of the reasons I went to London in the first place ....

One more: not staying at home during one July varsity vac, just as I finished training as a part-time traffic reporter in the 702 chopper. Instead went on a road trip with my (hot) girlfriend only to come back three weeks later to find someone else had taken my job. #-o #-o

What are yours?
Nav is a good life lesson: pick a point on the horizon and go there
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Re: Regrets, I have a few

Unread post by SlowApproach » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Too many to mention offhand :wink:

Here you go (and this is just the index :smt104 :lol:)

thick book.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
Peblehead
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: Foar26ly

Unread post by Peblehead » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:35 pm

SlowApproach wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 pm
Too many to mention offhand :wink:

Here you go (and this is just the index :smt104 :lol:)

thick book.png
=D> :D
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC

Unread post by happyskipper » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:36 pm

But, then again, too few to mention....... NOT
1. Not taking up my friend's parent's offer of crewing on board their luxury yachts in the Caribbean after Matric.
2. Not accepting the SAAF's offer of Navigator Course instead of Pilot Course (Within 5 years those who did accept, all became pilots) and storming out of AIM in disgust.... (They only took 2 pilots on my selection)
3. Not accepting a short service commission in the SAAF as an EW Operator on DC-4 (later Boeing 707) during my NS
4. Not staying at Safair......resigned in 1996 after being retrenched, and then being asked to come back.
5. Not going on more free trips when I was working for the airlines - the cost of air travel is scary.

Fortunately, after 40, I learned not to look a gift-horse in the mouth, and don't regret anything since 2001..... :lol:
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:44 pm

One of my regrets was telling my wife who my celebrity shags were, then seeing them age and having her mock the choice :twisted:
HJK 414
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: EHTW

Unread post by HJK 414 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Regrets about life's choice's ...... not really.
I made them - based on the knowledge and insight I had at that time - and lived with the consequences of those choices - so - no real regrets or looking back at those choices with regret - as the information I had at that moment would make me make the same choices again.

What I regret is not expressing the appreciation and gratitude that I have for people that cared for me / trained me / helped me - assisted me - during my lifetime and career enough at the time. Some have passed and I would give anything to be able to thank them - with hindsight realizing what their efforts / love / care and insights meant to my life.

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
rare bird
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rare bird » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 pm
Regrets about life's choice's ...... not really.
I made them - based on the knowledge and insight I had at that time - and lived with the consequences of those choices - so - no real regrets or looking back at those choices with regret - as the information I had at that moment would make me make the same choices again.

What I regret is not expressing the appreciation and gratitude that I have for people that cared for me / trained me / helped me - assisted me - during my lifetime and career enough at the time. Some have passed and I would give anything to be able to thank them - with hindsight realizing what their efforts / love / care and insights meant to my life.

JK
thanks for that, HJK
ja, one cannot live looking backwards at a load of regrets.
I like the one of expressing appreciation to other people who helped you along the way!
I don't go to funerals anymore, but it would always amaze me all the good things that would be said about the person in the coffin! I often wondered if anyone had said any of those things to them while they were still alive!
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by hugo_visser » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 pm

I have never been to a funeral, do it when they are still alive.
Hugo.
Christopher
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Christopher » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm

SlowApproach posted: <Here you go (and this is just the index)...>

I'm with you, all the way! That is: me, too!
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
Walter105
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Walter105 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 pm

Number 1...not making peace with my father before he died. We hadn't spoken for 10 years when he passed on.

Number 2...not flying.

Others: not asking the prettiest girl in class out. Learned years later she liked me too... #-o

Not completing my guitar lessons and learning to play...although I bought a new guitar recently and this one is on my to do list to fix for this year.

Not travelling enough overseas before I had kids.

Not buying the classic cars that I liked when they were cheaper and I could afford them!
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.
Jolley Roger
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jolley Roger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:21 am

Not taking up an offer from a Russian crew for a flip on their Antonov 124 from Joburg to Kinshasa and back. :oops:
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Unread post by Fransw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 am

Jolley Roger wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:21 am
Not taking up an offer from a Russian crew for a flip on their Antonov 124 from Joburg to Kinshasa and back. :oops:
Eish! Not good! :? I said no to a 14month Antarctica expedition many moons ago. Silly me! :?
Jean Crous
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX

Unread post by Jean Crous » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:01 pm

HJK , I have to agree with you. As with most folks that thought has come up a couple of times, but then I say exactly that which you so aptly said. Hindsight is one thing , but foresight is another matter altogether.......hopefully with past experience and some hindsight one can learn to have a bit of good foresight :? :roll:
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2