Return on Investment

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Location: Johannesburg, Kempton Park
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 48 times

Return on Investment

Unread post by Brand » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Since there are quite a few high nett-worth individuals frequenting Avcom - here is a questions to those who feel equipped to comment:

If you knew somebody who had, let's say R5 000 000 in cash handy, what would your best advice be on how to invest such a sum to maximize return on investment these days?
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
0735913907
User avatar
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6536
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:37 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Deanw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:54 pm

What duration will the investment be? What is their risk appetite? Tax implications? Do they require ready access to the funds at short notice? What is their investment strategy and financial wellbeing?
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Falafel
Incipient Spin
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Falafel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Brand wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:50 pm
Since there are quite a few high nett-worth individuals frequenting Avcom - here is a questions to those who feel equipped to comment:

If you knew somebody who had, let's say R5 000 000 in cash handy, what would your best advice be on how to invest such a sum to maximize return on investment these days?
Is it in SA and does it have to stay in SA? Taxes all in order?

Firstly I would hide it :)
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5248
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Brand, tell him to buy whisky! 8)
chartoftheday_17319_10_year_change_in_the_value_of_selected_popular_luxury_assets_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3596
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:16 pm
Location: Petit Airport FARA ( Benoni )
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by hugo_visser » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:43 pm

.
Last edited by hugo_visser on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10152
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by cage » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Whisky is only a good investment if you want to keep your cash liquid.. =P~
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10152
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by cage » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Brand, you didn't say whether or not you want to keep the funds liquid, or over what period you want a return.
Right now I would open an evangelical church - tax free, all the rage, makes good money for one day out the week :^o

kidding
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5248
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Falafel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Brand wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:50 pm
Since there are quite a few high nett-worth individuals frequenting Avcom - here is a questions to those who feel equipped to comment:

If you knew somebody who had, let's say R5 000 000 in cash handy, what would your best advice be on how to invest such a sum to maximize return on investment these days?
Is it in SA and does it have to stay in SA? Taxes all in order?

Firstly I would hide it :)
Tell us your plan Lalafel! :smt023
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5248
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 pm

You ask to much questions guys! Just give him your plan..
User avatar
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Location: Johannesburg, Kempton Park
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Brand » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Falafel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Brand wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:50 pm
Since there are quite a few high nett-worth individuals frequenting Avcom - here is a questions to those who feel equipped to comment:

If you knew somebody who had, let's say R5 000 000 in cash handy, what would your best advice be on how to invest such a sum to maximize return on investment these days?
Is it in SA and does it have to stay in SA? Taxes all in order?

Firstly I would hide it :)
Yes, no and yes.
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
0735913907
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10152
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by cage » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Fransw wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 pm
You ask to much questions guys! Just give him your plan..
Sure. I receive many emails from North Africa, that for a small admin fee, will give me a big share of stuck US dollar funds.
Happy to pass them on, no commission required. :twisted:
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5248
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:59 pm

cage wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:54 pm
Fransw wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 pm
You ask to much questions guys! Just give him your plan..
Sure. I receive many emails from North Africa, that for a small admin fee, will give me a big share of stuck US dollar funds.
Happy to pass them on, no commission required. :twisted:
I received one last week from a guy at JFk airport with load of dolla bilz with my name on! $100m ! It was send from Benin North Africa.. :lol:
User avatar
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Location: Johannesburg, Kempton Park
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Brand » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Deanw wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:54 pm
What duration will the investment be? What is their risk appetite? Tax implications? Do they require ready access to the funds at short notice? What is their investment strategy and financial wellbeing?
Medium term, medium risk, tax implications hopefully as little as possible, annual dividends good enough, no investment strategy yet (that is why I am fishing here).
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
0735913907
User avatar
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Location: Johannesburg, Kempton Park
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Brand » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Fransw wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:33 pm
Brand, tell him to buy whisky! 8)

chartoftheday_17319_10_year_change_in_the_value_of_selected_popular_luxury_assets_n.jpg
Now that is what you call sufficient ROI... 8)
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
0735913907
User avatar
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Location: Johannesburg, Kempton Park
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Return on Investment

Unread post by Brand » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pm

cage wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:48 pm
Brand, you didn't say whether or not you want to keep the funds liquid, or over what period you want a return.
Right now I would open an evangelical church - tax free, all the rage, makes good money for one day out the week :^o

kidding
Indeed - there are lots of obvious questions. And calculating ROI if one has those answers available is relatively easy. I am more interested in markets one can target, property perspective, business opportunities (like Hugo has mentioned), off-shore channels, keeping it under your bed, leaving it in Saambou, etc. :twisted:
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
0735913907

Return to “123.45”