8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 70 times

Suicide in the professions

Unread post by richard C » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:43 pm

On the '767 Cargo plane down' thread, Spoke Eagle made the following statement:
I see regulators starting to demand psyciatric screening as part of a normal medical in the near future.
I know dentists had the worst suicide stats but weve been surpassed by anaesthatists off late. Sandyman must look out, there is competition knocking on the door.
This really interests me for two reasons:
1. Why would Anesthetists suddenly start topping themselves in greater numbers than Dentists

2. I spoke to a Veterinary Surgeon who assured me that by far, extremely far, vets kill themselves more than any other professional. Mainly due to the nature of their work - no feedback or gratitude from the patient. Telling people their beloved pet had died. And worst of all, euthanizing dozens of beloved pets on a weekly basis. They join the field with the dream of being around and helping happy loving animals, and spend most of their day killing them.

Thoughts on the matter ?
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Suicide in the professions

Unread post by cage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:51 pm

richard C wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:43 pm
Thoughts on the matter ?
I think the world has become a difficult place for everyone, placing great mental strain onto people that do not know how to manage it and are afraid to try.
Rates have increased everywhere from kids to old people.

It's only those with terminal diseases desperate for relief that are prevented from achieving it.
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 105 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Very few lawyers kill themselves - we're hard to bury - nobody wants that much digging - deep down we're lekker fellows :smt021
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:49 pm

Doctors in general have a higher rate as well.
I have a wife and a daughter who are doctors.
They see people suffering and dying daily - and have to pass on the news to families.

They often get blamed if things don't improve quickly enough or if they are not available immediately - sometimes for mundane things.
These users liked the author Iceberg for the post:
CKSoupen
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Spoke Eagle
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Spoke Eagle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:16 pm

With dentists it is internalizing stress from normal life but because you are very inimate with the patient their stress and fear transmits to you as well. It can build up very rapidly , draining you emosionally. I used to fall back to my 3rd language which is talking K.k to lighten the atmosphere.
I left two young collegues in my practise when I retired to farm. They always commented that they cant see themselves reaching my age in dentistry.
Another blinder is that your book maybe full when you are 27 years old. There after every day is the same. No promotion, rising to managerial positions or hopes of being CEO. Nothing you can deligate, its only you.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Pinch of salt applies..
chartoftheday_9266_which_jobs_have_the_most_suicides_n.jpg
Suicidal-Occupations-1.png
Alcoholic-Jobs.png
encyclopedia.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 105 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Should imagine a major issue with Vets, Drs, Dentists is that you have the means to hand all the time. Just issue your own prescription any time it suits you ...
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
vanjast
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: 200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by vanjast » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Strange to see Electrical/Electronic trades up there...
If anything I should be a bionic super-hero (EElectro-Man!!) considering the amount of times I've accidently zapped myself. :)
Last edited by vanjast on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 pm

I also think the underlying issue may be personality type related . The few people I readily think of that took their own lives had gender issues.
Last edited by ACE MAN on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by richard C » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 am

Considering that my daughter is desperately trying to pursue a career as a marine engineer - that is a little disturbing !!
Falafel
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 26 times

Unread post by Falafel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:01 am

richard C wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 am
Considering that my daughter is desperately trying to pursue a career as a marine engineer - that is a little disturbing !!
NOT saying this is the case at all... for you!

But suicide is a combination of nurture and nature factors... life will deal you all kinds of things but how you deal with them is key.

Family history - depression, mental illness (and its amazing how many families DONT think that they have a form of mental illness... depression etc are massive problems with many in denial)... MANY families have un diagnosed issues in this regard.

Family support is key, ability to talk about emotions and problems without fear or judgement, acceptance of who they are (and not necessarily gender issues)...

I think the industry categorisation of suicide is a red herring to a greater or lesser degree... sure some industries are higher risk in terms of stress, but well rounded balanced individuals are able to either deal with it, or get out of it, without the stigma attached to being a surgeon and deciding the life is not for me and then going to start up a garden service...

I know of people who stay at home, with massive inheritances, no stress committing suicide... and they were straight (no gender issues), not stressed, but their perception of the world was skewed and they couldnt cope.

Suicide is to me one of the most tragic results of illness in our time, and if people just talked to one another, accepted one another and didnt judge we could go a long way to assisting those who consider it as an option...

From an aviation point of view... I question the merits of "screening"... perhaps creating the right work environment would be more productive... screening simply puts a "condition" attached to it and will ensure that pilots fear the diagnosis and avoid the classification of the "warning" signs... in other words they will not discuss depression, or other soft issues out of fear of being grounded.
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by richard C » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 am

I have to say, having lost friends to suicide, that first and foremost, depression is an illness. In other words, nobody is immune to it - we can all fall into it's comforting grasp.

Some people just suffer depression as a chronic condition, and require on-going medical assistance to manage it.
Falafel
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 26 times

Unread post by Falafel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am

... and its getting worse... medication can go a long way to assist, but screening isnt going to help in my view without clear and transparent ways of dealing with it by the carrier.... creating an environment to discuss it will help and making sure that its seen as an illness and not something that you are stigmatized for will assist more.

The rise of anti depressants is eye watering meaning that many people are working and leading full and successful lives on anti depressants and we dont even know it... wonder what screening will lead to (in terms of diagnosis and also treatment) because if the "solution" is to ground then they are wasting their time as it will simply be covered up
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 am

Sorry to make lite of the subject, but these work for me...
fukitol.jpg
Suicide(or the decision to commit) is never easy to deal with, especially for those left behind. I exclude people who strap stuff to themselves.

Signs are often not apparent (take Robin Williams for eg.) or worse, SO apparent that the person is often labeled over dramatic/sensitive/anxious etc.

The stats above are based on reported cases, not so? Is it compulsory for c.o.d to state suicide?

W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: EHTW
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 221 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am

richard C wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 am

Perhaps a career change - Architect ? ….
Her father can lead the way ...... :wink:

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...

Return to “123.45”