HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: abcd
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 359 times

Re: Suicide in the professions

Unread post by HJK 414 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:02 am

I have to say that I am surprised by the "stats" and the "professions" that are listed as risk related towards suicide.
I would have expected to see law enforcement right at the top of the list.

I can imagine that many a youngster has the ambition to join the police / law enforcement.
His / her initial mindset will probably be something like:
Make the world a better place......
Stand up for those that are victimized in the world......
Assist the needy and make sure their interest is shielded.....
Catch the offenders and keep the town / city / streets safe.....
Make a positive difference ......

However - in the modern world and society that illusion may quickly shatter.
The violence - disrespect and feeling that the law enforcement is invariably one step behind the offenders must be disheartening.
I could imagine a police officer - having seen and worked in the "wrong side" of society for a long time would start to be affected.

JK
Tomcat1
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Silverton
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by Tomcat1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 am

I am an Occupational Health and safety advisor for Transnet and this all come down to one thing and is already being brought into practice at Transnet...it's called Human Factor Management. Here's an aviation example from the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
2012-sms-book6-human-factors.pdf
There are many factors that are looked at in Human Factor Management, things like overtime worked, physical factors like build, weight etc., home circumstances, lifestyle etc. etc. etc. and all of these add up to what risk is involved, can the risk be mitigated, is there any way to remove the risk, can the risk be reduced or is the risk controlled etc.
These risks (Risk Assessments) by law have to be shared with external/internal stakeholders and these can have a very large influence on the business profitability, safety standards etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 am

And it can happen to anyone no matter how privileged they may appear. Freeda Foreman (George Foreman's daughter) has just committed suicide at the age of 42.
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by heinrich » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 am

HJK 414 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:02 am
I have to say that I am surprised by the "stats" and the "professions" that are listed as risk related towards suicide.
I would have expected to see law enforcement right at the top of the list.

I can imagine that many a youngster has the ambition to join the police / law enforcement.
His / her initial mindset will probably be something like:
Make the world a better place......
Stand up for those that are victimized in the world......
Assist the needy and make sure their interest is shielded.....
Catch the offenders and keep the town / city / streets safe.....
Make a positive difference ......

However - in the modern world and society that illusion may quickly shatter.
The violence - disrespect and feeling that the law enforcement is invariably one step behind the offenders must be disheartening.
I could imagine a police officer - having seen and worked in the "wrong side" of society for a long time would start to be affected.

JK
In a previous life - early/mid 90's - after my 6 months training in PTA police college (mounted unit) myself and another guy in my "platoon" were sent to the same town. We became good friends as we were obviously cutting our teeth going through the same rookie stuff one goes through in such a profession. We had a similar outlook as we were also of the last ones to have been conscripted into the army the previous year. He was always the happiest oke, smiling, joking, enjoying life, despite the scheiße you get exposed to at such a young age. Long story short, he did the deed one day and it was quite a shock to say the least. It's that typical reaction of "but you'd never expect it from such a person".

So I can see where HJK's assumption is coming from, and I would have thought the same. I don't think youngsters, in certain "exposed" professions, get equipped to deal with the worst of society, day in day out. Maybe it's different in other countries, and why they are not higher on the list?
vanjast
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: 200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by vanjast » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Some simple advice. There's a lot to live for...

Take control of your brain, open the door.. and walk outside... A world at your feet... and there's a sun (never been there), Moon (waiting for someone to go there), and a universe of unknowns waiting to be discovered.
On this path there will be downs and when you go up, you go through the clouds, but make sure you have a parachute..just in case ;)
Such is life... and remember your loved ones, no matter how much they fight with you, they'll always love you - you just have to open that door to see the world. ;)
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 159 times
Been liked: 148 times

Unread post by richard C » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 am

Depression is a disease. It has to do with brain chemistry. It is not about feeling 'down'. The feel-good chemicals and hormones required to stimulate feedback emotions such as joy, contentedness and satisfaction are simply not available to the sufferer.

The biggest challenge to treating depression is that those that suffer from it do not have the normal emotive compulsion to recognize it and realize it needs treatment. The very tool they need to identify their crisis (and take remedial action accordingly) was never provided in their toolbox.
These users liked the author richard C for the post (total 2):
Spoke EagleMrb13676
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Unread post by cage » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:28 am

vanjast wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 pm
Some simple advice. There's a lot to live for...

Take control of your brain, open the door.. and walk outside... A world at your feet... and there's a sun (never been there), Moon (waiting for someone to go there), and a universe of unknowns waiting to be discovered.
On this path there will be downs and when you go up, you go through the clouds, but make sure you have a parachute..just in case ;)
Such is life... and remember your loved ones, no matter how much they fight with you, they'll always love you - you just have to open that door to see the world. ;)
Unfortunately simple advice won't cut it.
With rare exceptions, such as those trying to end their life with dignity, suicide isn't a rational choice.
Most have found themselves on the wrong side of a mental disease such as anxiety and depression.
They are not operating rationally and cannot see the forrest for the trees, without professional help it won't improve.
Sadly when you are impaired you don't know that you need help, all the "positive thinking" in the world won't change that.
They need someone to try recognise the signs and to help them.
In the early stages people are too afraid to ask for help, who wants to be seen to be weak or to have a career threatened - despite so many people affected, there is still a stigma.
Often there is substance abuse involved to help cope, whether that is alcohol or drugs in various forms.

I had a young guy join the team a while back, he was a typically socially inept techie but good at what he did.
We had not known him long enough to know if anything was different but he did seem a little erratic.
One of my staff had a missed call late one evening, turns out he killed himself with prescription meds.
It had a profound effect on everyone - why did we not see this? etc.
Eventually more details of a troubled personal life emerged, few knew it was going on.

We now have a program where people can get counselling anonymously, that the company pays for, so anyone that is struggling can seek help without fearing exposure or embarrassment.

Getting beyond mental health issues starts by talking about it and not dealing with it via life-coachy cliche's.
Chances are all of you have friends and family that are struggling one way or another, few have good enough relationships to really look and notice that when someone says things are "fine", often they are not.
These users liked the author cage for the post (total 4):
FalafelIcebergRomanospatz
fcvanwyk
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by fcvanwyk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm

For those wanting to read quality medical information please see:
https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/805459-overview
In the US doctors top the list of completed suicides of all professions.https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/805459-overview
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:09 pm

I have seen , and would never have believed it if I have not seen it, how a perfectly normal person can become depressive because a loved one passed away.
Hugo.

Return to “123.45”