Emigration Options - SPAIN

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5512
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:34 pm
Closest Airfield: abcd
Location: wandering ...
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 361 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by HJK 414 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 pm

cage wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:11 pm
That's a lot of burglar guards and security gates, more than the typical security estate in SA.
Is that normal for Spain or is that what freedom requires?
Cage,

It is not "normal" in Spain actually.
Yet this house was originally built as the reception centre for a time share organisation (with cash on premises and valuables stored for holiday makers) and the security frames were there when we bought it.
When we renovated the house (bathrooms etc) - we considered taking them off (they are embedded in the mortar of the walls) but as we are not there for 5 to 6 months per annum (only the Poolman and Garden guy look after it in the Spanish summer months) - we decided to leave them in place.

If I was to build a house in Spain today - I would not feel a need for it.
Most houses have electric roller shutters - (also used as a shield from warm sun)

JK
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10152
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by cage » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 pm
cage wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:11 pm
That's a lot of burglar guards and security gates, more than the typical security estate in SA.
Is that normal for Spain or is that what freedom requires?
Cage,

It is not "normal" in Spain actually.
Yet this house was originally built as the reception centre for a time share organisation (with cash on premises and valuables stored for holiday makers) and the security frames were there when we bought it.
When we renovated the house (bathrooms etc) - we considered taking them off (they are embedded in the mortar of the walls) but as we are not there for 5 to 6 months per annum (only the Poolman and Garden guy look after it in the Spanish summer months) - we decided to leave them in place.

If I was to build a house in Spain today - I would not feel a need for it.
Most houses have electric roller shutters - (also used as a shield from warm sun)

JK
Thanks, it's beautiful.
I was surprised by the amount of deterrents, something I wouldn't expect.
Better safe than sorry.
User avatar
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 11853
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:25 pm
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Location: Mpumalanga
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 159 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am

cage,

If you look at all their new developments with new homes, there are no burglar bars. Funny enough, it was also my first question to HJK when he sent me pictures of his house. :D

Thanks, HJK. :D

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5252
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 214 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:03 am

Impressive high speed railway network!
828px-HighSpeedSpain.svg.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3862
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 191 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by Jack Welles » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:59 pm

If you fancy something different, ie, experiencing the genuine local Spanish lifestyle (as opposed to just transferring an existing way of life to a different place) you just have to avoid areas that are infested with migrants (effectively foreigners to Spain, eg, especially Brits, but others, mostly Europeans, as well).

Remember doing some work for SA clients who had bought in Marbella (they were being seriously ripped off by non-Spanish developers operating there) and when we visited some of the developments (IIRC most being punted by Pam Golding) you could have been in Tokai or Bryanston. New houses, street layouts etc were just so ordinary you could have been anywhere in the western world.

So that's lekker if it's what you want (and everyone has different reasons for travel or moving to a different place) but for us the joy has always been in living the (exotic-seeming) foreign way of doing things, ie, food, music, lifestyle etc, with the locals as neighbours etc. Helps if at least one of you can speak the language or makes the effort to learn it to fit in like that.

But, for us, this also applies to places like Greece and Italy, as well. Maybe get even more exotic and try somewhere like Turkey or Morocco but that's really for the more general thread on Emigration options.
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5252
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 214 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:59 pm
If you fancy something different, ie, experiencing the genuine local Spanish lifestyle (as opposed to just transferring an existing way of life to a different place) you just have to avoid areas that are infested with migrants (effectively foreigners to Spain, eg, especially Brits, but others, mostly Europeans, as well).

Remember doing some work for SA clients who had bought in Marbella (they were being seriously ripped off by non-Spanish developers operating there) and when we visited some of the developments (IIRC most being punted by Pam Golding) you could have been in Tokai or Bryanston. New houses, street layouts etc were just so ordinary you could have been anywhere in the western world.

So that's lekker if it's what you want (and everyone has different reasons for travel or moving to a different place) but for us the joy has always been in living the (exotic-seeming) foreign way of doing things, ie, food, music, lifestyle etc, with the locals as neighbours etc. Helps if at least one of you can speak the language or makes the effort to learn it to fit in like that.

But, for us, this also applies to places like Greece and Italy, as well. Maybe get even more exotic and try somewhere like Turkey or Morocco but that's really for the more general thread on Emigration options.
Spanish is a great language to know imo. Its apparently not easy to learn?

For interesting sake one pronounce Marbelle as 'Marbaya'. Never pronounce the 'l' , but your wife will know better..
ou toppie
Taxiing
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 pm
Closest Airfield: LEAX Aeropuerto de la Axa
Location: Pilarejo Spain(ex Cullinan SA)
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by ou toppie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Gents, Just a little expansion on the L in Spanish pronunciation, in order to avoid confusion.
If it is one L in a word (as in Miguel) it gets pronounced as an L.
If it is two L's together in a word ( as in Marbella) then they are always pronounced as a Y
:|
User avatar
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 11853
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:25 pm
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Location: Mpumalanga
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 159 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by Whirly » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:40 am

ou toppie wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 pm
Gents, Just a little expansion on the L in Spanish pronunciation, in order to avoid confusion.
If it is one L in a word (as in Miguel) it gets pronounced as an L.
If it is two L's together in a word ( as in Marbella) then they are always pronounced as a Y
:|
Yes, and when I lived in La Jolla, California, it was pronounced as La Hoya. #-o :D

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5576
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 158 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by heisan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 am

Whirly wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:40 am
ou toppie wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 pm
Gents, Just a little expansion on the L in Spanish pronunciation, in order to avoid confusion.
If it is one L in a word (as in Miguel) it gets pronounced as an L.
If it is two L's together in a word ( as in Marbella) then they are always pronounced as a Y
:|
Yes, and when I lived in La Jolla, California, it was pronounced as La Hoya. #-o :D

Whirly.
And, for some reason, my name is 'Hoostin'...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
User avatar
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3862
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 191 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 am

heisan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 am
And, for some reason, my name is 'Hoostin'...
Were you in that movie where they said: "Hoostin', we have a problem ..." ?
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5576
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 158 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by heisan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:52 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 am
heisan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 am
And, for some reason, my name is 'Hoostin'...
Were you in that movie where they said: "Hoostin', we have a problem ..." ?
:lol: - it wasn't me, I promise...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
User avatar
Christopher
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3800
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Gloucester (The Perfect Storm), Mass.
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Emigration Options - SPAIN

Unread post by Christopher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:35 am

<Its apparently not easy to learn?> No, it's not a difficult language to learn at all -- especially if you remember any of your Latin. And Whirly: "La Hoya" is exactly as any self-respecting Spaniard would say it, too (not just those darned Californians, man!)
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)

Return to “123.45”