1k poster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Getting rid of a tenant not paying rent

Unread post by priester » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:20 pm

There is another option
Issue summons for the amount owed.
Get a judgement against the tenant, mostly they won't oppose
Attach and remove all furniture and belongings.

The instance I did this the tenant was very worried about his computer we attached (wonder why :twisted: ) paid and left
The truth, nothing but the truth
savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by savas » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Jack, offers good advice , my only advice is stick to T&C of contract as a landlord, employ an agent to manage property, who has the correct attorney on their panel, who KNOWS your lease inside/out (this helps a lot).

as with any real investment there are risks, and this unfortunately is the sole risk of renting out properties.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:48 am

savas wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm
Jack, offers good advice , my only advice is stick to T&C of contract as a landlord, employ an agent to manage property, who has the correct attorney on their panel, who KNOWS your lease inside/out (this helps a lot).

as with any real investment there are risks, and this unfortunately is the sole risk of renting out properties.
If you believe that is the "SOLE" risk.....you have not rented out property before. :( 8-[
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by flysouth » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:35 pm

I found an "electrical problem" with the geyser in the roof and had to shut that down as it was in danger of becoming overheated as the thermostat was not working which in turn led to water leaks from the geyser, threatening to bring down the ceiling and do awful damage.

So I "was compelled" to shut down the water to the granny flat and that problem, let me tell you, took a lot of time - like 5 weeks - to fix! Could not find the "right thermostat" of course, extremely frustrating but what can you do?

The leaks were just as hard to repair - and unacceptably slow of course - despite my best efforts.

Actually I no longer even need to do these repairs now, as the flat became empty as the tents departed in disgust rather suddenly. I think I may leave it that way.

5 weeks of cold water from a garden tap in buckets and flushing the loo by bucket can get old quickly I guess. Sorry for you!
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:44 pm

Did not think of that one ( geyser ) Have had my fair share over the last 2 decades. On one occasion only the house on the plot was rented out, so we had to start farming with bees on the border fence. What tenants do and force your hand is ugly. Sold everything. Once started demolishing the house with a TLB with them in it, just had enough. 30 min and they were out. Once nearly drove over a tenants car with the front end loader,millimeters. Young married couple, best tenants, single woman trouble. Middle aged couple OK, older couple and families becomes your problem. 2 months deposit normally stops the crap and you get a better tenant. Woman with plenty dogs, prepare yourself to rebuild the house.

Hugo.
savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by savas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:48 am
savas wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm

If you believe that is the "SOLE" risk.....you have not rented out property before. :( 8-[
Actually been doing it for just over 10yrs now Marius.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by paulw » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:11 pm

Falafel wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:36 am
Fact is you are on the back foot with a tenant, paying or not. That is why I sold my properties. Most of the advice above is untrue. What Jack said...

Beware the tenant who doesnt pay and even more the one who knows his/her rights. Aggression and unilateral moving in might work for a tenant who doesnt know what their rights are, but you might end up opening a can of worms if someone is aware of their rights and a few months rent is minor compared to the damage you may do to yourself.
You can in effect get two years in jail. The tenant has more rights than the landlord. Also why I sold my properties.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
psg
Engine Still Cranking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by psg » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:05 am

A bit of advice

I look after property in the UK. Same problem as you get there. I try to start legal proceedings (Money claims) whilst the tenant is in the property that way I have a confirmed address with proof. After they get the first summons or legal letter they often try disappear and that ends in them getting bitten later :D

I once had a clever one. Smashed up the kitchen , bathroom, walls and kicked off every door in the property. long story but all his belongings landed up in a skip. It was like Christmas for the locals. Police were involved and asked what happened to the contents. I offered them a return soon as proof of ownership was given to me. Guess what never heard anymore. Unfortunately the damage was nearly 3 years rental so a huge loss to the owner.

And some tenants are good unfortunately they tend not to last as they eventually purchase a property.

Return to “123.45”