Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Emigration - Lessons Learned

Unread post by paulw » Fri May 03, 2019 10:58 am

Peblehead wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 am

Yet no one mentioned Panama ?
Great Wx, 5000USD buys you a Passport ( now you have both) you can open a bank account and move money legally, you can own property, medical facilities are as good as anywhere else, currency is real USD and money is safe with all the large banks having representation.

Lots of crime there
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 am

Thank You, but I have 2 friends, who has done TONS more than me as role models. Punching buttons on a computer still beats me, but thanks to Avcom that has changed a little bit. I can at least now send an e mail.
Hugo.
vanjast
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: 200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by vanjast » Fri May 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Tips..

- Certified copies (in triplicate) all your documents.
- Have signed/certified employment references, payslips, Police clearances, SA Tax certificates/numbers
- Proofs of SA residence (rates and taxes, bank letters...), SA Bank Accounts, Credit record/rating etc...
- Proofs and copies of all immunisations, birth certificates and other medical certificates.
- Obtain an international drivers license just before you leave.
- Make sure your SA drivers license has more than 1 year left before expiry, at the time of your new drivers application in destination country.
- Obtain a No Claims Bonus letter for your House, Car and other insurances.
- Make sure your SA passport has at least 5 years left, You might be required to return to SA to complete the Financial Emigration process (annoying paperwork - possibly could be done from overseas).
- If closing SA bank accounts, keep all proof letters, and send notifications to all Stop Orders.. etc. (keep proof docs of these).

I'll add more as I remember it... :D
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by rare bird » Fri May 03, 2019 9:09 pm

hugo_visser wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:18 am
Moving to Whakatane, containers left yesterday, and all welcome to vista the new DRAADKAR lz on the main road along the coast to Opotoki. 680 Taneatua rd. Started with my son moving there, a life changing shock. Outlook to life has changed dramatically more positive and goals set MUCH bigger. For the first year will be fixing house, hangar/round barn, it will be tough, but have built several houses and hangars in my time. Have a fantastic KIWI neighbor, same age and living circumstances,he will take us fishing and I will take him flying. There used to be a runway on his farm. The rest is less important.
Looking for a name for our property, such as BLIKSEM, a scaffolding company in Papamoa, hed to stop and say hi, saffers making a name in NZ.
Draadkar pitstop, HOKAAI, Gatvol ?? ideas ??
Hugo.002.jpg001.jpg013.jpg030.jpg006.jpg
TLB is going to help me lift the round barn / hangar and build a nice LZ. Do not ask how much it is costing, buckets full, but is does not matter, will be with my family, the most important lesson learnt at 60.
Hugo, you have my sincere admiration!
why don't you call your place "Hugo se Groot Kuier Plek" ? that will make anyone feel welcome there!
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 pm

vanjast wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:42 pm
Tips..

- Certified copies (in triplicate) all your documents.
- Have signed/certified employment references, payslips, Police clearances, SA Tax certificates/numbers
- Proofs of SA residence (rates and taxes, bank letters...), SA Bank Accounts, Credit record/rating etc...
- Proofs and copies of all immunisations, birth certificates and other medical certificates.
- Obtain an international drivers license just before you leave.
- Make sure your SA drivers license has more than 1 year left before expiry, at the time of your new drivers application in destination country.
- Obtain a No Claims Bonus letter for your House, Car and other insurances.
- Make sure your SA passport has at least 5 years left, You might be required to return to SA to complete the Financial Emigration process (annoying paperwork - possibly could be done from overseas).
- If closing SA bank accounts, keep all proof letters, and send notifications to all Stop Orders.. etc. (keep proof docs of these).

I'll add more as I remember it... :D
Very good pointers from vanjast.

If I may add. Sable International can handle all your financial emigration which include Pension and retirement annuities which might be otherwise be blocked (depending on some rules like age and amount)
There are others as well.

Check that your credit cards also have some time left on it as you my want to use it for a while. Else request new cards with new expiry time.

Use up your points you collected on your cards like Ucount etc. You will be surprised in the thousands which may be lurking there ESPECIALLY if you have payouts like pension money etc coming through your bank account. I was pleasantly surprised :D

Change One Time Password for banks and other institutions from SMS to email

Ensure your phone roaming will work to at least receive the odd important SMS which may still come through.

When booking plane tickets, check that you get Travel Insurance for free on the card especially when you book one way tickets. But sometimes two way tickets are cheaper.

Start getting all the rabies injections and Titre tests for your pets done now. You wont have time later and Titre tests need to be done 91/92 days before you leave.
PLan your travel to land on weekdays to clear pets from customs, etc.

Use CurrencyDirect to send money abroad cheap and efficient. But register with them before you leave SA.
(Sable International can also send money for you especially if you do financial emigration, then it makes sense to let them do everything)

Anita Huyser
Sable International Pretoria: Moreleta Park
Sable International SA: Ground Floor, Block B1, Regent Square, Doncaster Road, Kenilworth, Cape Town, 7708
C: 0829478807
e: Anita _at_ sableinternational.com | w: www.sableinternational.com/forex
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Fri May 03, 2019 9:20 pm

When closing accounts and you have debit orders i.e. monthly SABC license, Telkom, etc, have all the debit orders removed and pay manually.
So if you cancel your accounts, that they don't keep on debiting your account. I believe SABC is a culprit and some of the cellphone providers. I paid my SABC license annually manually and still sent them the cancellation form which need to be signed and stamped by a Commissioner of Oath.

Return to “123.45”