Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Robert Mugabe has died

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm

excolonial wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:02 am
Yes, agreed. There is also clearly a spectrum of pathology, from mild to severe. I wonder how many psychopaths would love to unleash mayhem, but fear rather than decency keeps them from doing it. Plenty of them in the corporate world and politics. Dominance by any means seems to satisfy most of their urges, but for some even this is clearly not enough.
Death penalty ???
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:40 pm

Fransw wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:06 am
Where are Grace and the boys hiding now?
images-12.jpegimages-14.jpeg
Somewhere you do not need extension cables.....and you can drive around in your Bently without anyone knowing.
These users liked the author Marius Schrenk for the post:
Floatflyer
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Chimsoro wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 am
Let's see or rather hear what Malema has to say at Mugabe's funeral.!!!?
Africa unite against "white capital"..using foreign nationals to further stir....
For one he would call his death a conspiracy of the west (white minority capital) One wonders if he would even be welcome ? Seeing Mugabe asked for a small burial (a dustbin has only two handles)
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 309 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/ ... 33fa5a3dce
BRUCE LOUDON

12:00AM SEPTEMBER 7, 2019185

They may shed crocodile tears and praise him as “an icon of Africa’s liberation”, but few will genuinely mourn the passing of Robert Gabriel Mugabe at the age of 95.

Nor should they, for the tragic, impoverished wreck of a country that Zimbabwe remains two years after he was deposed in an army coup stands as a monument to the destruction he wrought during his almost 40 years of terrifying ­tyrannical rule in a country that had long been regarded as the “Jewel of Africa”.

Even by the abysmal standards of post-colonial Africa, “Comrade Bob” was particularly bad, and it is to my everlasting shame that I played a very small part in helping him outsmart rivals and become Zimbabwe’s leader in 1980.

It was in the midst of the “chimur­enga”, the war of liberation being fought by Zimbabwe’s barefooted bush fighters against white rule. At a summit of post-­colonial leaders from across the African continent in Gabon, West Africa, crucial decisions were immine­nt on whether Mugabe or his arch-rival, Joshua Nkomo, should be supported to become Zimbabwe’s leader.

Mugabe was the outsider. In the media room as the crucial gathering got under way, he ­appeared downcast. Nkomo was surrounded by aides and helpers. Mugabe had only his loyal deputy, Edgar Tekere, with him. They ­desperately needed to type up a statement for the continent’s ­leaders but had no means to do so.

They fixed their eyes on my ancient Olivetti Letra 32 typewriter, in those days, in the late 1970s, the standard resource for foreign correspondents batting around the world’s troublespots. They asked if they could borrow it.

Mugabe sat at the keyboard pecking away, trying to compose his vital statement. It was clear his two fingers were hopeless.

To get him off my typewriter, I offered to help. He dictated while I typed. It did much, apparently, to swing Africa’s support behind him and eclipse Nkomo, enabling him to become Zimbabwe’s leader in 1980.

Yet on the occasions when I saw Mugabe afterwards, he never once recalled, much less thanked me, and that says much about the man who became one of the world’s most feared and corrupt despots.

The hauteur and disdain he displayed­ after I’d helped him out in Libreville became the hallmark of his destruction of a country that had been Africa’s breadbasket, and its emergence as the epitome of misrule and ­oppression.

At the beginning, of course, he sought to create a different ­impression. A devout Catholic, ­educated by Jesuits, he was deeply religious. In his first address after becoming president following the 1979 Lancaster House Agreement, he surprised even his supporters by declaring in clipped English that reflected his past as a language teacher: “I urge you, whether you are black or white, to join me in a new pledge … to forget our grim past, forgive others, and forget.”

Yet it was Mugabe who never forgot. “Mugabe hates … nobody hates like Mugabe,” a close friend of his told me years ago as I searched for an answer to the at times murderous malevolence that led him to turn on white farmers, who were the backbone of the economy and food supply chain.

Many attributed it to what happened when he was imprisoned by then-Rhodesia’s white rulers, who refused to let him attend the funeral of one of his children. In his lonely isolation, Mugabe was enraged. He never forgot or forgave.

He was a complex man: ironic­ally, despite his fierce anti-­colonial­ism, declared Marxism and determination to end British rule, throughout his years in power he retained many customs that echoed colonial rule. He ­entertained visitors with fine blends of English breakfast tea imported­ from London, served in Royal Doulton crockery, and maintained a deep personal ­admiration for the Queen.

Invariably, he dressed in pinstriped Savile Row suits and, when he wanted to, showed the manners of a sophisticated university don as he lectured listeners on the ­iniquities of those who criticised his regime.

His manner in private conversations was the ­antithesis of that of most despots. A stickler for protocol, he would frown on aides who did not ­observe the formality that he saw as essential to perceptions of the regime he wanted to build. Yet the sham became clear as he reduced Zimbabwe to a form of murderous oppression with few parallels in post-colonial Africa.

It didn’t take him long to bare his fangs. Soon after he came to power, Nkomo supporters began agitating against plans for one-party rule, and he launched his North Korean-trained Fifth Brigade on the hapless people of Matabeleland, Nkomo’s stronghold.

It became known as the Gukurahundi massacre, with 20,000 ­civilians slaughtered.

That 1982 massacre was a turning point. Mugabe showed his true colours as a tyrant intolerant of opposition.

As his country plunged into decades of famine, an HIV epidemic and hyperinflation in which the central bank printed useless notes, the arch-proponent of pan-Africanism and Marxism sought to ­apportion blame for the chaos and turned on the 4000 white farmers who did so much to keep the economy going.

Nothing better sums up ­Mugabe’s madness: the farmers were among Africa’s most efficient producers of food, ­essential to the country’s ­survival, yet he turned on them with a viciousness that still baffles many.

Zimbabwe’s famine is a direct consequence of that madness but, as the nation sunk into impoverishment, the tyrant would taunt his citizens by throwing lavish parties at which French champagne and caviar were served.

Few leaders in modern history have been more brazenly corrupt.

Mugabe was no founding ­father of Zimbabwe: he was more the appalling destroyer of the “Jewel of Africa”.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Ugly Duckling for the post (total 2):
excolonialChalkie
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 439 times
Been liked: 183 times

Unread post by Ray W » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:56 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Ray W for the post (total 4):
Ugly DucklingJack WellesJean CrousChalkie
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 183 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:11 pm

:lol: that's really very funny, language and its uses :lol:
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 79 times

Unread post by Jean Crous » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:11 pm
:lol: that's really very funny, language and its uses :lol:
Yip, and a good picture speaks a 1000 words :wink:
Jean
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric.
New front seat solo Cubby Renegade
Cell : 072 6716 240
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 am

Long time Cygnet builder
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 186 times

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:54 am

It was all so unnecessary, and that's what makes it so sad. I must confess to a bit of schadenfreude watching the Swedes et al reap what they have sown, but perhaps that is not fair, they are reaping what their parents and grandparents have sewn.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:53 pm

excolonial wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:54 am
It was all so unnecessary, and that's what makes it so sad. I must confess to a bit of schadenfreude watching the Swedes et al reap what they have sown, but perhaps that is not fair, they are reaping what their parents and grandparents have sewn.
His legacy is the even distribution of poverty....like most of the African despots who never understood a economy and hated everyone who did.Cause and effect is not a African concept...they have been shielded against it by the "colonialists" At least everyone is now free and poor....except the guys who caused it. They die(filthy rich) hero's of the struggle and eternal liberators.......Viva....Amandla.
These users liked the author Marius Schrenk for the post (total 2):
bosvarkChalkie
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:07 pm

:lol:
These users liked the author Ugly Duckling for the post:
excolonial
Long time Cygnet builder
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 186 times

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:53 pm
His legacy is the even distribution of poverty.
Exactly - they are experts at liberating and offshoring other peoples money. Many bankers have become supremely rich simply by looting the accounts of despots and criminals. So who is worse, the despot or his enabling pin stripe suited banker?

The things you see when you don't have a rifle handy.....
These users liked the author excolonial for the post:
Marius Schrenk
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
thelsa
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by thelsa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 pm

IMG-20190912-WA0026.jpg
These users liked the author thelsa for the post (total 4):
Ugly DucklingbosvarkMarius SchrenkChalkie
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm

excolonial wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:21 pm
Marius Schrenk wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:53 pm
His legacy is the even distribution of poverty.
Exactly - they are experts at liberating and offshoring other peoples money. Many bankers have become supremely rich simply by looting the accounts of despots and criminals. So who is worse, the despot or his enabling pin stripe suited banker?

The things you see when you don't have a rifle handy.....
Africa deserve the tyrants they turn into hero's. :idea:
These users liked the author Marius Schrenk for the post:
cx45338
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Pete » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Mugs.. the epic master at turning Ice Cream into <<moderated - language>>

Return to “123.45”